My Future Job

My Future Job

A Story by Quinn W

Although I am just in high school, I think about my future job a lot. Some people think that's a good thing, others tell me to 'live in the now.' I love guessing how things will turn out and creating little dreams for myself. 
I've always had an interest in literature and the English language. I've gone back and forth many times between wanting to be an English teacher and an editor. Recently, in the last few years, I've been really into deaf culture and have been interested in being an interpreter. I'll go into these specific jobs and why I would like to work in them now.
Ever since I was about ten, I've dreamed of being a teacher. Which says a lot because I hated majority of my elementary school teachers. I hated them, but I still admired them. I feel like I was one of the few students that really paid attention to them. I'm not only talking about while they were teaching but while they were just sitting at their desks as well. I saw teachers give up on trying to get the attention of their students, laying their heads down on their desk or putting their heads in their hands. My parents always taught me that education was important from a very young age. I knew that I needed to pay attention in school and get good grades so I could succeed later on. I knew how important their job was and it upset me to see that they weren't being respected. I thought (and still do)  everyone deserved respect, especially them. I put teachers on a pedestal. Without them, where would we be? I would take home my work from the day, sit down in my living room, and teach my stuffed animals what I had learned that day. I enjoyed it immensely. I was always very imaginative and I think that was one reason why my grades were so good. I practically learned everything twice. Teachers have one of the most difficult, most important jobs out there.I would love to be part of that.
I have always enjoyed writing. Like I said previously, I have always been very imaginative. And yes, yes, I know that I do a lot less creative writing now than I used to. I just have different things on my mind at the moment, gosh. I used to get bored in class and come up with stories in my head until I joined a creative writing club in the seventh grade. It was so much fun and I met a lot of cool people. I would write until I had to type because my hands hurt so bad. And recently, I've been doing some editing for some friends of mine. Go check them out: matrixmark and HeyJadeXO. It's been really enjoyable. Especially because they're such wonderful people. Editing has been a cool experience but I think I want to keep that as a 'free time' thing and not necessarily a career. I don't know, I guess we'll see in a few years. 
Ah, my favorite subject to talk about! As I said, the past two or three years I've been learning quite a bit about the deaf and hard of hearing (HoH) community.I've watched documentaries, spoke with people, and learned a good amount of PSE (a form of American Sign Language aka ASL.) I would love to be an interpreter one day. My favorite job in the entire world would to be an English teacher at a school for the deaf. That would be absolutely amazing and possibly even reachable considering there is a school for the deaf near me in North Carolina. No matter if I do become an interpreter or not, I know I will continue learning PSE or even diving into ASL* because I think it is only fair to the deaf and it is a passion of mine.


*Crash Course: ASL (American Sign Language) and PSE (Pidgin Signed English) are two different things. PSE is signing sentences the way you would say them just speaking plain English while ASL has it's own grammar structure and syntax. For example if you are saying "Do you like learning sign?" you would sign it in PSE "You+like+learn+sign?" while in ASL you would sign it "Learn+sign+like+you?" ASL has it's own structure.

© 2017 Quinn W


Author's Note

Quinn W
Hi!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahhh well i do hope you pursue this dream of yours!!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 5, 2017
Last Updated on January 5, 2017
Tags: jobs, deaf, HoH, teaching, editing

Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W