Appendix: GLOSSARY

Appendix: GLOSSARY

A Chapter by J. Marc

  •  
  • Banner,
  • Johann Gustav (1596-1641): Swedish general who distinguished himself in the Thirty Year                         War and particularly by winning the battle of Chemnitz.
  •  
  • Bathori:                Old Hungarian family to which belonged Etienne, Prince of Transylvania,                         King of Poland from 1575 to 1586.
  •  
  • Bethlen Gabor (1580-1629): Prince of Transylvania, elected King of Hungary, he increased the                                 power of his country during the “Thirty Year War”.
  •  
  • Calvin Jean (1509-1564): Attributed religious authority to democratic principles. Propagated                                 Reform in France and Switzerland where he organized a protestant republic.
  •  
  • Charles V (1500-1558): King of Spain, Emperor of the German Empire whose territories stretched                         from South America to the Philippines, including the Netherlands, Germany                         and Austria. Gave the freedom of conscience to the Lutherans of Germany.
  •  
  • Charles IX (1550-1574): Son of Henri II and Catherine of Medici. He became King of France in                         1560. Under his reign, the religious wars took place, among which the fourth                         with the St Bartholomew Massacre. Christian IV (1577-1648): King of Denmark and Norway who took part in the second part of the                         Thirty Year War.
  •  
  • Coligny (1519-1572): French general who converted to and became a leader of the protestant party.                         He was one of the famous victims of the St Bartholomew Massacre.
  •  
  • Condé Louis I (1530-1569):        Prince of Bourbon, uncle to Henri IV, leader of the Calvinists in                                 France, assassinated after the Battle of Jarnac.
  •  
  • Elisabeth I of England (1533-1603):        Queen of England of the Tudor dynasty. Supported the                                 Protestants against Philip II of Spain. Was also allied to Henry IV of France                         against the same kingdom of Spain in the wars prevailing at the time.
  •  
  • Erasmus (1467-1536):         Dutch scholar and philosopher known as one of the leading humanists of the                        Renaissance.
  •  
  • Ferdinand of Aragon (1503-1564): Brother of Charles V, Emperor of the German Empire, he                                 negotiated the Peace treaty of Augsburg, leader of the younger branch of the                         House of Hapsburg and founder of the Austrian monarchy.
  •  
  • Ferdinand II (1578-1637): Emperor of the German Empire who is believed to be at the origin of the                         religious war known as the “Thirty-year war”.
  •  
  • Frederic III:                King of Denmark and of Norway from 1648 to1670 Frederic V (1596-1632): Elector to the German Empire. Leader of the Evangelical Union, fought                         against the King of Bohemia and was defeated by the Bavarian army of Tilly                         in 1620.
  •  
  • Frederic Wilhelm of Brandenburg (1620-1688): Electorate Prince of Brandenburg. Organized and                         led the Prussian army against Sweden and France. Welcomed the French                                 Protestants in his territory in 1685.
  •  
  • Gallas Matthias (1584-1647): Austrian General who distinguished himself during the Thirty Year                         War for the Imperial Army.
  •  
  • Guise, François Duke of (1519-1563): Headed the Catholic troops during the religious wars in                                 France. Was assassinated by a protestant gentleman.
  •  
  • Gustav Adolph (1594-1632):         grandson of Gustav Wasa, the founder of the Swedish kingdom. King                         of Sweden (1594-1632), rebuilt the Swedish army and took part in the 30 year                         war in connivance with Richelieu to back the Protestants of Germany.                                 Triumphed in Breitenfeld and Lech, and was killed in Lützen.
  •  
  • Gustav Horn (1592-1657): Swedish general, attendant to Gustav Adolph. Hapsburg:                German family which originated in Switzerland and which conquered the                         German Empire crown with Rudolph of Hapsburg to extend its influence to                         Bohemia, Hungary, Spain, Italy, the New World.....and was a determinant                         element in the History of the Western World until the XIXth Century.
  •  
  • Henri IV of France (1572-1610): King of Navarre who abjured the Reform in order to also become                         King of France. He was famous for his plot with the Protestants in Germany                         to weaken the Hapsburg. Restored a unique religion in France and ceased the                         religious wars. He was stabbed by Ravaillac.
  •  
  • Huss Johann (1369-1415): Religious reformer from Bohemia whose partisans fought a long and                         tedious war against the Imperial troops until 1471. Was condemned to be                                 burned alive despite the protection of his King Sigismund.
  •  
  • Jacob I of England (1566-1625): Son of Mary I Stuart and Darnley. Known for his authoritarian                         views on religion and his persecution of the English religious dissidents.
  •  
  • Leopold I Archduke(1640-1705): Emperor of the German Empire; entered into the Augsburg                                 League in (1686) and involved Germany into the war of succession to the                         throne of Spain.
  •  
  • Luther Martin (1483-1546): Religious reformer who drafted the statute of the Lutheran Church and                         translated the Bible into German.
  •  
  • Marlborough, Duke of (1650-1722): English general who became partisan of William of Orange                         and commanded the army of the Netherlands. He became a legend with his                         victories and the burlesque song bearing his name.
  •  
  • Mathias Archduke (1557-1619): Son of Maximilian II, Emperor of the German Empire and King of                         Hungary and Bohemia.
  •  
  • Maximilian II (1527-1576): Emperor of the German Empire. Son of Ferdinand I, he continued the                         “Thirty-year war”.
  •  
  • Mazarin Cardinal (1602-1661): Successor to Cardinal Richelieu. Of Italian origin, he was the Prime                         Minister to Louis XIII and Louis XIV. He ended the Thirty Year War with the                         peace treaty of Westphalia (1648).
  •  
  • Oxenstierna, Chancellor (1583-1654): Swedish statesman, counsellor to King Gustav Adolph and                         Queen Christina.
  •  
  • Piccolomini Count (1600-1656): Austrian general who led the Imperial army and count in his merit                         the victories of Lützen, Nordlingen and Thionville. Certainly the greatest                                 general of the Catholic party during this war.
  •  
  • Philip II of Spain (1527-1598): Son of Charles V of Spain, added Portugal to the Crown of Spain                         but weakened considerably the power of Spain through his alliance with the                         Protestants in France and the war in the Netherlands.         Ravaillac:                Assassin of Henri IV of France.
  •  
  • Richelieu Cardinal (1585-1642): Minister of Louis XIII who brought down the Protestants as                                 political party in France and aimed also at the weakening of the Hapsburg of                         Austria by allying France with Gustav Adolph of Sweden.
  •  
  • Rudolph Archduke (1552-1612): Emperor of the German Empire from 1576 to1611. Son of                                 Maximilian II. Seni:                        Astrologer of Wallenstein, Duke of Friedland. He was known for influencing                         his most important decisions. Little is known about his true role that can bear                         historical authenticity for their meetings were secret and private.
  •  
  • Sigismund III (1566-1632): From the Wasa family of Sweden. Simultaneously King of Poland and                         of Sweden. Spinola Ambros (1569-1630): Italian general who fought for the Spanish army in the Netherlands                         and in Lombardy.
  •  
  • Sully, Maximilian Count of (1559-1641): Minister and counsellor of Henry IV. Protestant, he fought                         many battles beside this King even after this one has converted to    Catholicism.
  •  
  • Tilly Johann(1559-1632): Bavarian general who led the troops of the Catholic League. Fought                                 many successful battles before being defeated and deadly wounded by Gustav                         Adolph in the battle of Lech.
  •  
  • William of Orange (1650-1702): Prince of Orange and later King of England. Defended the                                 independence of the Netherlands against Louis XIV and claimed the throne of                         England. He was an advocate of Protestantism.


© 2008 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on May 3, 2008


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing