Chapter 26: The friendship with Goethe

Chapter 26: The friendship with Goethe

A Chapter by J. Marc

 

The Napoleonic wars

 

The friendship between the two men began with Goethe's frequent visits in Jena where he would largely and extensively discuss with Schiller about the main principles upon which the new, higher national group should be founded. Then Schiller would also visit him in Weimar for the same purpose, and from these various discussions and meetings, the first contours of their common project would soon emerge.

 

Afterward, ensued the numerous and long-term epistolary exchange with which both men would little by little, draw distinctively the details of their national project. This close and ongoing collaboration would, in a logical manner, create also a close relationship, a friendship between them.

 

In 1796, additionally, Goethe would entrust him with the edition of the "Muse's Almanac". He would read extensively all the works from authors all around the German nations, and select the ones with the most significant content and literary style. Often, he would re-write some passages in order to fit the entire text more appropriately with his editorial line. This endeavor, and this acquaintance with a new circle of authors and writers, would also change Schiller's own way of writing and working: his ways of presenting symbols would be thoroughly increased, his lyric style would be better used, the lightness of his playing with the words would be further mastered. From this editorial occupation and period of intense intellectual work, surely, has given birth to some of his most remarkable works, on a pure literary style basis, as expressed in his ballads.

 

Schiller would then be even more busy, not only with his job as an editor, but also, above all, with his ever increasing thoughts about the national project. If war could bring something beneficial, early in 1796, it was, indeed, the predominant opinion in the German nations, that  envisaging the unity of all the German nations, after all, is not any more such a crazy idea. As war has now fully developed in the Middle of Europe, in each German state and also other European kingdoms, people would not any more find it either useful or sufficient, to combat the revolutionaries with their own means. However, despite this blatant outcry for more unity, Austria and Prussia would always want to develop separately their defense strategic plans in various parts of Europe, and many cities in the German nations felt acutely the weakness and vulnerability of their situation in the middle of Europe.

 

It is throughout Winter and Spring of this year, that people would start to speak about an unknown general named Napoleon, who with his troops, has started to make small but significant military gains in northern Italy. These Italian states have been easy conquests for the Revolutionaries because of their failure to join their armies: acting individually, they stood no chance to defeat the hordes of invaders; and in the German nations also, because of their hereditary disunion, the same catastrophic fate would be expected, should the revolutionary troops turn their way northwards.

 

Even among the members of the literary circle, there was now a staunch opinion about the situation in Europe: if the military unity of the German nations in the short term was still not possible, an alliance of the same nations against the French troops must be at once formed. If the unity of the German nations under the leadership of Prussia has been abandoned, then people would expect this same leadership to come, now, from Vienna. 

 

The nervousness of the members of the literary circle, men and women alike, would rise slowly with time. A significant French offensive was now expected towards northern Europe by the end of spring, and a complete and rapid meltdown of the remaining Prussian allies was already predicted.

 

            - "I cannot believe this! I cannot believe this!! We are inactive before the possible invasion of the French troops! We cannot expect any more help from Berlin, if an attack on our land should take place! We also cannot count on our neighbors for a military help! What should then happen to us! I am asking you, what will become of us!?", would a terrified lady ask then to her fellows gathered in the room.

 

 



© 2011 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am sure you have gone to a lot of trouble to write this, this is ( as far as I can judge) well researched. I hope you will forgive me if I ask the question ? Why do you write this ? There is a huge amount of historical writing from academics about these subjects, what new elements have you introduced ? So I admire your energy, not sure what you are trying to do.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The steps of Napoleon are very much linked to that of Schiller's. That is one of the little stories I developed in my book. Who knows who is really resting at the Invalides in Paris, if we were to make a DNA test? But my book is only a novel.....:-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I am sure you have gone to a lot of trouble to write this, this is ( as far as I can judge) well researched. I hope you will forgive me if I ask the question ? Why do you write this ? There is a huge amount of historical writing from academics about these subjects, what new elements have you introduced ? So I admire your energy, not sure what you are trying to do.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

480 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing