Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 3 The Village

Chapter 3 The Village

A Chapter by Steph Bates

           Journal Entry #4                March 30, 2002
Day 5 of Island Life
Going outside this morning I found the basket I had left at the stream was waiting by my fire pit, on the ground around the hut were bare foot prints and some paw prints. A spear leaned against the hut so I searched the tree line for any sings of the owner, but found nothing. Examining the spear there were markings carved into it, and a sun painted on just under the spear head as if for luck. After a bit of iguana meat and fruit which I shared with my two companions I took the sled with a one of the empty baskets out to the garden. I did not need fruit this trip. In fact I gathered a basket full of death berries, and snatched an old hatchet from one of the huts. These would serve well in catching fresh meat. If the iguana could fall for it who knows what else will fall for it.
After making a couple traps and setting them up just beyond the tree line by the hut I went back to the crumbling village area. Exploring further I found more stands stood outside the huts, I even found an open area where a full on market could be held. It was round with a large pool in the very center of it like a large sun dial. It was a shock finding this, inside the huts I found tables and even a bed in a few of them, most had fire places for the cooler nights, and some had things hanging from the walls as if they could be oil lamps but nothing was in the anymore. The huts in this area were in much better shape and had much sturdier materials used in their creation. 
“Could these people have been wealthier than those who are on the outer part of the village? What were their lives like when they were living here?” looking around I saw nothing that would help me in my search for answers. I had brought the spear with me and with good measure. My little friends had not fallowed me today. Instead they both vanished after breakfast, can’t expect them to stick around at all hours right? 
Its high noon and I’ve ducked into one of the huts for some shade to keep cool, something outside is moving. But what I do not know, holding the spear at the ready a yowel can be heard then a human shout of pain I look outside to see a panther attacking the man I saw yesterday. Hurriedly I pick up a rock and throw it with all my strength, it thuds to the ground next to the animal and it takes off retreating out of sight. I run over putting my knife away, he is only scratched but he has hit his head and is un-cachous. It is hard for me to lift him let alone drag him into the nearest hut, his lean body is heave to me and my task is not done yet. Using the water in my canteen and a cloth I carried on me I cleaned his wound. He groans and mutters something I don’t understand, thankfully the wound is not deep and the blood quickly stops seeping from it. Standing and looking around for any more signs of danger before I start to walk away.  I almost fall over when his hand grips my ankle firm but not threateningly. Looking down at him he is still in pain. I crouch down and roll up my vest to put under his head gently pushing him back down. “I’ll be right back, stay still.” Sprinting off to the garden it is not hard to find the budding herb used to ease a person’s pain. Taking three buds and grinding them up between two rocks they become a thick paste, running back he is laying still now watching me. His muscles are thence as I apply the paste to the wound, he almost smiles. Caramel is watching us from the roof of a nearby hut, Ivory is in the bushes still not comfortable with this stranger. Standing again I walk over to Caramel and he jumps to me. Sitting on my shoulder he takes a slice of fruit from my hand and nibbles at it nervously. I toss a piece of dried meat over to Ivory who only darts out to fetch it and disappear back to the bushes. With a harsh chatter Caramel jumps back to the hut roof, the stranger is getting up from the ground picking up my vest and holding it out. Tentatively I reach out and take it. He is still watching me staring me down. I stare back not wanting to seam scared though I’m sure he can hear my heart pounding from the panther attack. 
“Will you be ok?” I ask him not sure if he will understand me at all. He smiles and nods at me, places a hand on my shoulder and gently squeezes. This response is the closest thing to confirmation that he understands me. I smile and do the same. His grin grows bigger. He starts walking off motioning for me to fallow, and I do.
“Where are we going?” to this he gives no response but to shush me, it’s a bit insulting to me but understandable. The huts become more crowded together and the roads become clearer. Taller stone buildings come into view, and the center of the village is getting closer. The sun is nearly ready to set and paint the sky again as we come to a well kept area around a signal hut. Hear he stops and looks around before dipping inside and coming back out a moment later looking around confused.
“Is something wrong?” I ask quietly as he comes over to me. Shaking his head he gently leads me by the wrist to the hut and inside. There is much to see in his large hut. On the back wall across from the door there are shelves. These shelves hold fruit, cloth, herb baskets, what looks like flint, another stone that is flat on one side and smoothly polished by running water over the ages, a few knives, wooden bowls, and hand carved spoons. It’s amazing to me what I find hear, on the wall to the left of the door as you walk in is a station where a half finished rug hangs on the wall prepared and waiting for more work to be done. To the right of the door a sleeping space is laid out on the floor and the right wall is home to a few weapons and tools. Whale I have been standing and gapping at the inside of the hut he has disappeared once again. I peek outside and find that he is burring just a few handfuls of grass, and patting out the ashes before he applies them to his wound clenching his jaw shut. I watch in awe and in fright. I must have gasped because he shoots a look at me that I don’t quite understand then looks back at the ashes. Not once has he uttered a single word to me until he comes back in the hut.
“How did you come to be here?” the first time I have understood him and I don’t know where to begin.
“My boat crashed on the reef, I’m a scientist.” That’s the best way to put it for now, he is silent again but not for long. Now he is rattling off questions before I can even speak.
“Slow down, to many questions at once.” I say this with a chuckle, and he smiles like a child. It’s funny really how eager he is to learn about me and the world he is separated from. How does he know English? And how did he come to be here?
“Were you exiled by your people as well?” this question shocks me for it is not something I expected to hear from him.
“No, I was not exiled. I am here to learn, why are you hear?” I as this carefully for I do not know how he will react. Night has fallen and a small fire has been built up in the small fireplace on the right wall where the tools and weapons hang.
“I was exiled for learning the language of your people, and teaching them our language. They were killed and buried deep in the jungle for the animals to find.” This time I am aware of the gasp of air that escapes me.
“Why would that be such a crime, its only learning.” I instantly regret my words.
“It is the way of my people.” He says sternly standing he goes to stand in the door way peering out into the night. I slowly approach him.
“I’m sorry. I did not mean to offend you or your people. I just do not understand as you do.” He looks at me pain on his face, I do not know if it is from the wound or the subject we have gotten on. He points to the bed.
“Go and sleep. I will not harm you as you sleep, morning will come early.” Is all he says before turning away once again.
“Why did you bring me out here?” I ask as I lay down. He merely looks at me then back out at the night. Soon I am asleep, and even sooner it is day time.
Journal Entry #5  March 31, 2002
Day 6 of Island Life
I wake to an eager Caramel and an anxious Ivory. Smiling I look around and see the man fast asleep leaded up against the wall. I stand and stretch as quietly as I can. He stirs in his sleep but that seems to be all he does. Walking outside Caramel and Ivory fallow me closely, there probably hoping I have breakfast. Looking around I see there are no gardens close by. 
“You two are as bad as children.” I laugh softly as Ivory fluffs up her feather as if I’ve just insulted her, and Caramel doses a flip and chatters loudly. The man comes out of the hut a short spear in hand as if there were a threat out here. He looks at me then my two companions and back at me.
“Why do they fallow you like ducklings fallow their mother?” he asks looking between them and me again.
“I’m not exactly sure why. Caramel was mistreated by his own group of chattering monkeys and as for Ivory I don’t know why she fallows me around.” He looks more puzzled as I call the two by their names.
“Who are Caramel and Ivory?” he asks me looking around as if there were more people on the island.
“Caramel is the monkey and Ivory is the bird. I gave them names for the time being.” I don’t know why but I was a bit embarrassed to admit it to him.
“What is your name then?” he looks at me with his piercing teal eyes.
“My name is Sara. What might your name be then?” I look back at him intent on finding out more about this man who was exiled to this island.
“My name is Doki. Come I am sure we are all hungry.” He did not seem to mind my two companions tagging along. At least not just yet, later when we reached a fruit tree they dashed between his legs causing him to trip. I tried no to laugh at this but it was funny because Caramel looked back at him as if to say, what are you doing down there human get up.
“Are they always doing that?” he asked irritation was present in his voice, but his eyes were soft and happy.
“No, I guess they just got excited about the fruit.” I suggested pointing to the fruit on the ground where Ivory had already staked her claim and Caramel was again trying to take her food. Once again Ivory took full advantage to scare the little monkey who of cores scurried up a tree chattering at her. Giggling I smile at the two playful creatures, they go at this for a while before Caramel finally gets bored and wanders up the tree for the more juicy fruits. Doki and I talk excitedly both of us glad to have someone to talk to. He tells me of legends of this place his people used to tell and he tells me of what he has found. Night comes quickly for we have talked for many hours. Ivory and Caramel fallow us back to his hut where I again spend the night. This time he sits closer to where I am watching as I slowly fall into a deep sleep.
                                       Journal Entry #10                             April 11, 2002
Day 11 of Island Life
I have been on this island for eleven days and I have learned so very much . My wrecked ship has fallen apart and fully washed ashore all except what could not float that is. Doki and I have become close in these days as it is evident that I will not be found we have finished moving all of my things here to the hut next to his. Today we visit the great temple, he has instructed me in how to use the spear and knife properly when fighting in case there is another animal attack while we are out. Caramel has grown considerably he is now the full size a monkey of his type should be, and he occasionally steals fruit from Ivory who seems to be getting larger. She has returned to us after disappearing two days ago. Doki seems to think she will be laying eggs soon. I would be honored to be able to see more of her kind around the hut.
It is mid morning when we left for the temple, we are both anxious to see the ruins. He has not visited there but he has been close enough to know where the entrance is, how he can find his way threw this maze of huts and clay buildings amazes me. The people who lived here were plagued with greed and were near war. The tree great leaders decided for the best of the people to divide into three clans and leave the island. When they all left the island was nearly depleted of its resources. The fruit trees no longer boar fruit, and the tall trees that now thrive were not there. The buildings on the edges have been over run by plant life or nearly destroyed by storms.
High noon and we reach the bottom of the temple. The heat is nearly unbearable so we stay in the shade. Caramel and Ivory will come no closer to the temple than the last row of huts fifty meters away. 
“Doki, would you like some of the food I brought along?” I ask him as he looks around checking for any dangers. He turns to me with that brilliant grin and walks over to me. 
“Fruit is good yes, but you are all the substance I will need.” With that he chuckled as my cheeks flame a deep red. I cannot keep from giggling myself as I hold the fruit I was going to eat. He takes a teasing bite out of it then reaches for his own watching me take the second bite. Soon we realize the extreme heat of the day has dulled down and we pack away all but two pieces of fruit leaving them with Ivory and Caramel to enjoy. We carefully climb up the long stairs reaching the top at about mid afternoon, having taken many short breaks to catch our breath. I cannot help but to look back to see if our entertaining little companions fallowed us. To my dismay they have not.
Entering  the temple it is cold and musty. Damp blankets of moss hang on the wall like tapestries making the intricate carvings hard if not imposable to see. The further we go the colder it gets. Doki stops a moment pulling out two ponchos handing me one. 
“The presets would wear these at all times it kept them warm and marked them for what they were.”
“Do you want to continue?” a sliver of fear crept into my voice. The calmness on his face was relieving but also frightening.
“Yes, are you well enough to continue Sara?” he was concerned that was clear but still that calmness was un nerving. With a stiff nod I smile and we start off down the passage again. Several tunnels broke off from the main one but we kept going. Soon we came to a long staircase the went further down. Stopping at the top of the stairs Doki looked for any hidden traps but he could find none. As we descended I noticed broken bits of traps that had once been here.
After hours of walking down the twisting staircase we finally came to a large chamber. He lit one of the torches to our right and the walls became fully lit in what looked to be a ring of fire. Hanging from the ceiling was a large sphere of glass, directly under it was a stone table stained deep red. Paintings along the walls told of the rituals held here nearly any kind of law breaker was brought forth and sacrificed to the gods/ a chill went threw me looking back at the stone table. Slowly I walked over to it curious as to what secrets it may be hiding. Doki yelled no as I reached out feeling the fear so many others must have felt back then. Before I knew what was happening I was on my back on the table and the room was warm even better lit and filled with people both young and old. A loud buzz of meditated chanting filled the room no moss hung on the walls and the sphere was also lit. The people here wore white silk garments. An elderly man approached with a long jagged knife which he began to lift above his head his hands shaking in his old age. My heart sank and a lump formed in my throat opening my mouth to scream but no sound came forth. My wrists and ankles bound tight as to prevent me from moving. Is this the end? Will I die in this morbid fear wrought place? And then silence came with no fear or pain, the bright blues of the ocean turning deeper and deeper until it was the warm comforting blackness that swallowed me whole. 


© 2013 Steph Bates


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on August 22, 2013
Last Updated on December 1, 2013