1. The House and the Shadows

1. The House and the Shadows

A Chapter by Robert Vicens
"

A house in the shadows on 66th and 6th street lures Henry to it and swallows him in...

"

THE HOUSE ON 66th & 6th ST


1.


Darkness loves the company of shadows. It is as good as a rule of physics. Only, with matters of the supernatural, physics do not always apply as they should. And so it was with the big house on 66th ave and 6th street. No matter how bright the day shone, it was always shrouded in the black of shadows.


Trees and grass grew wild on the property.  Some with branch arms clawing at the rotting boards or stabbing through broken windows, while others grew out and away, as if vying desperately for the street, trapped by the prison of earth.


Most people steered clear, giving the big house a wide berth if ever they needed to cross the intersection on 66th and 6th street.  But this afternoon a man tread the sidewalk in front of property, studying its facade.  He bit his teeth to their nail beds, making false starts toward the house, then turning away, then toward the house again.  This dance, he repeated until twilight began to steal into the day like a thief's hand, plucking away light an inch at a time. 


The man’s name was Henry.  The house had drawn him like a mermaid’s song. He did not see eeriness, but a gem in a sea of ordinary houses.  He let his eyes trace every contour and curve of the house.  He longed to be inside the house. 


It was a matter of trespassing, then breaking and entering.


With a sigh, and hoping that his wife wouldn’t be too angry at him for coming home late (and for breaking the law), he climbed over the chain link fence, pushed through the mountainous clods of grass and onto the porch of the big house.


He turned the nob, expecting it to be locked, but knowing somewhere deep in his subconscious that it wouldn’t be.  The door opened with a sound like a banshee cry, and the dark spread its legs and drew him in between its thighs.


There was the sound of a door shutting sharply behind him. It echoed through the corner of 66th and 6th street.  Only a black cat heard it as it crossed the street; and it stopped in its tracks and quickly scurried in the other direction, lest a demon catch it by the tail.



© 2015 Robert Vicens


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice! looking forward to reading more !


Posted 9 Years Ago


I love the metaphors in this!, it is very nicely written and i look forward to reading more!
Great job:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very nice. I will definitely be reading more.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2015
Last Updated on May 17, 2015
Tags: horror, beer, Stephen King, fantasy, monsters, tree, house, magic, evil house, devil, demons, illusions


Author

Robert Vicens
Robert Vicens

Miami, FL



About
Read my Advice for Writer's Post to get a sense for what I believe about writing. I will post further advice as I go along. I have stories posted here which show I practice what I preach. I like.. more..

Writing
Water Water

A Story by Robert Vicens