Seeking the Heart Of Winter

Seeking the Heart Of Winter

A Story by Ravyn-Ann
"

A young man embarks on a quest of revenge.

"

"Storm clouds on the horizon milord." General Reevus exclaimed as he stomped into the large entry hall. The room was filled with several of the soldiers from general Reeves army as well as the king himself. King Gareth sat at the exquisite dining table with his elbow against the hard wood surface, rubbing his temple.

"Then our worst fear is coming to pass."

"Is it her?" One of the soldiers asked his voice trembled. The king just sighed, sliding his worn hand down over his mouth.

"We can only assume so. All the signs are there. The witch is coming for your son milord." The general kept a level tone despite the fear quickly overtaking the room.

Under his breath the king spoke, "What will I tell Meela?"

"Your orders my king?" General Reeves insisted. Thunder quaked outside as the soldiers looked about nervously. Even the king lifted his head at the sound.

"I need you to take my son away from the castle. Someplace not even I know. We shall set a decoy of straw in his bassinet for her to find. However, we must fight her at the gate. I would rather her not make it to his room at all. If she does at least we can ensure that she doesn't get my son."

"Yes milord, however," General Reevus stalled "What shall I do after the witch is thwarted?"

"Seek out someone who can protect my son. There are other witches, maybe some that can help prevent my son from ever being found again. I trust you can take care of the boy."

Aware of the kings true meaning Reevus nodded only saying, "Yes my king."

Silence fell on the room as the king laid his gaze at the table once more. General Reevus waved his hand in command for his soldiers to leave the room. They cleared out through the massive doors as Reevus followed behind them, looking back at his king one last time.

"Gareth…" Reevus spoke as a friend would to another friend.

"Yes Reevus?"

"Fight well, and come join your son and I when this is all through."

"I'm not sure I will be able to my friend."

"Yes," Reevus spoke with confidence, "You will. Because your son needs you to. Farewell."

The door shut behind him as King Gareth lifted his hand from his despair. A flash of lightning illuminated the room. The king finally stood to his feet as he headed up the stairs to find his wife. He discovered her in the princes room, clutching her one year old son to her bosom. The king begrudgingly stepped in as Meela looked over, smiling at him.

"The storm has Ryule frightened. Oh, poor thing." She cooed as she bounced him comfortingly.

"As it should." The king managed to gasp out. Fear held his tongue tight it seemed.

"Gareth, is something wrong?"

"Meela…I…" Thunder rumbled out again as Ryule's cries took her attention away as she swayed with her baby attempting to comfort him.

Gareth looked away, trying to think of the words to say.

"It's just a small storm my love," Meela whispered close to her baby's ear, "No need to be afraid."

"No it's not Meela."

"What?" Her eyes met the kings with bewilderment.

"The storm is not what it appears to be."

"What leads you to say such a thing?"

Light blinds the room swiftly as Ryule lets out a wail. Queen Meela continues to stare at her husband despite her crying child, awaiting an explanation.

"My love, this is hard for me to explain but I have made a terrible mistake. Our child, our beautiful young boy is about to be stolen away."

Meela's hand flew over her mouth, "Who would do such a thing?"

"A witch that I should have never meddled with. We tried for years Meela! I couldn't produce a child for you, I never have been."

"Gareth! You're speaking madness!"

"Let me speak!" Gareth raised his voice for the first time to his wife as she grew still. Rain now pelted hard against the window of the princes room as his crying continued to echo out. "I went to a very desperate measure to ensure we could have a son. I sought out a witch in hopes magic could help. She promised to aid me as long as I promised to protect her borders. I agreed but shortly after the kingdom of Kairn formed in the uncharted land next to our borders. A month ago they stepped into my hall to arrange the borders of the two kingdoms. Her land was forced to be forfeit in order to keep our major riverfront trade city. I couldn't risk losing the income that they provide for our country. Now, since I went back on my deal she is taking away what she has given me."

"Gareth, how do you know she's coming."

"She warned me when I made the deal that in the night of a storm my son will be taken away by force."

"And you still gambled with his life , for what, money?!"

"I have a duty as king. A whole town of people to be given away to an unknown kingdom or a piece of forest that holds nothing but a witch and some swamps?"

"Why give them anything at all?" Meela cried along with her child as she clutched him close to her chest.

"We need more allies than enemies Meela. If I had refused and thrown them out then who knows how long it will be until the came marching at my door to take every piece of land under my banner. Keeping peace is what our son needed most. It has been a year since I spoke to the witch. My hopes were that she would have simply forgotten."

"You forget what these witches are like! We should have had them all slain when we first formed this country. I told you that having that kind of power would corrupt one."

"Meela that's not the way."

A rolling thunder boom rattled the windows as the king could feel the floor beneath him shake.

"My king!" General Reevus halted at the doorway. "It's time. Allow me to take your son to safety."

"No! Don't take my boy!" Meela turned her back to the men as she held her crying babe tightly.

"Meela! We have to! This is the only way we can ensure his safety." Gareth pleaded to his wife.

"He needs us Gareth."

"He will have us my love. If you go the witch will know to follow you. You must hide and when she is gone we will find him together." He reached his hand out to her. "Please Meela. Let Reevus protect our son."

Meela stared down at her baby once more as seeing his mother looking down at him the way she was now made his crying pause briefly. She kissed his forehead longingly, "I will see you shortly my lovely prince." She looked up to meet Reevus gaze. Stepping forward she spoke with strength, "General Reevus take my son to safety and you dare not fail in your task. You understand?"

"I understand my queen."

She nodded in approval. General Reevus handed the king the straw bundle wrapped in a blanket as the king placed the decoy in Ryule's bassinet.

Without a second thought the queen handed over her child to the general as exchanged goodbyes one last time before fleeing the room and rushing down the stairs.

© 2014 Ravyn-Ann


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on October 14, 2014
Last Updated on October 14, 2014
Tags: fiction, high fantasy, witches, dragons, swords, king, prince

Author

Ravyn-Ann
Ravyn-Ann

Denton, TX



About
My name is Ravyn-Ann. I am a senior in High School who is still trying to figure out what to do in life. The one thing I am sure about is that I hope to achieve a creative writing degree. Ever since I.. more..

Writing
My Heart My Heart

A Poem by Ravyn-Ann


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ravyn-Ann