Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ravyn-Ann
"

Crow, a strange girl survives.

"

Chapter one:
    I laid there while my heart pounded against my chest. There was a scream trying to make its way to the surface, but I forced it back down. I had to be completely silent. If not, well, I didn’t want to think about it. I listened closely for his footsteps, although I knew I wouldn’t hear any. Hiding under a car wasn’t really the best thing to do, but I had no chance of fighting him. I couldn’t defeat a vampire. I had a feeling he hadn’t given up on me quite yet.

    He was still out there, searching for me. Making sure I was dead, which I wasn’t. That would probably disappoint him. He hated my guts after what my family did to his creator. I wasn’t alive when it happened, but I heard they trapped him in a coffin and buried him alive. Of course being a vampire you’d think he could get out, but in the condition he was in, he had no chance. He was already half-dead, so I don’t understand why they had to bury him. But of course without blood, he died.

    Now that he had killed every other member of my family it was my turn. Luckily I was able to escape him, at least for now. After a few more quiet moments I rolled over to my stomach and peeked out. There was no one on the road. I sighed in relief as I crawled out. There was a short breath at the back of my neck as lips tickled my ear, “Found you.” My scream finally was released. I stumbled away as I fell in my attempt. His ruby eyes glared at me, but his smile was the complete opposite. It was almost like he loved seeing me alive, yet disappointed at the same time. He chuckled as his hand slid through his greasy black hair. “What, can’t you at least greet me in a proper manner?” I tried to speak, but no words could form. This was it, the end of my life. I always said I wasn’t afraid of death, but now, knowing that it was coming, I was terrified. He crouched down as he hissed, “Make this fun!” He leapt at me as I rolled away standing on my feet. I bolted as my breathing gradually rose. I heard his laughter behind me. My legs picked up speed causing them to shriek in pain. I had no idea why I even tried, he would beat me. As if an answer to my thoughts he appeared in front of me. “You can’t win.” My legs gave way as I fell, face first onto the concrete road. His laughter echoed out once more. “Aw, you poor thing. Let me help you up.” I felt his hand in my hair as he yanked me up. My scream rang in my ears. I kicked furiously praying he’d let go of my hair. “Goodnight...” He leaned in as if to take a kiss, but arched his head to the side as his nose tickled my neck. Then a pain surged through me as I kicked and screamed for him to stop. I felt blood trickle down my neck, my blood. I kicked furiously, but soon my muscles tensed as my eyelids drooped. I had lost consciousness.

    I awoke with a scream, but soon it faded away. I was still alive, but barely. I felt a sting in my neck and my muscles still ached. This meant I wasn’t out of it for very long. I glanced at my surroundings only to realize there wasn’t any. I saw only darkness. I spread my arms out in front of me and felt a firm solid. I began to feel around. I was in something, something rectangular. Then it hit me. I knew where I was. This was a coffin, and I was set in here to die, just like his creator.

    I wanted to scream and freak out, but I knew there was no point. “Oh God...” I sobbed. I had to find a way out of here, but it was near impossible. I had no clue how far he buried me, but I doubt anyone could hear me. It was pretty hopeless. But I had to try. I sucked in my breath as I screamed. It lasted for a good length of time, but it eventually died out. Frustration washed over me as I began pounding on the lid of the coffin. It creaked. My hands froze. If it reacted to a few simple punches, then it must be weak. There may be hope yet. I gave it all I had as I struck it repetitively. I heard it crack several times. I kept at it until I burst open a hole. Dirt spilled in, but not as much as I expected. A smile crossed my face. I can’t believe this was possible. I focused on enlarging the hole which took every amount of strength. Finally it was big enough for me to slip through, but there was so much dirt it would take too long for me to dig up to the surface. The coffin was gradually being filled with dirt, so I had to go now or never.

    I slid through the hole which took a lot of effort. I rested for a few moments then began clawing away, moving dirt out of the way. It took hours before I finally moved upwards. I hadn’t gone very far, but I had worked so much. I was filled with hopelessness once again. Dirt then began to shift as I felt some crumble onto my head. I tried to look up, but couldn’t. I began digging once again as I headed towards the top. It got easier by the minute as if there was something digging down. If that was the case I had a greater chance of reaching the top now while I had some help.

    I ached all over but I felt how easily I could move now, so I pressed on. I knew the surface was close. I reached out with a final stroke as wind blew through my fingers. I made it. I pulled myself up and out as I took in my scenery. I was in a graveyard, that was for certain, but it wasn’t familiar. So it must have been out of the town I was in previously. Another thing I noticed was a complete stranger holding a shovel. He had brown hair that stuck out in the back, and his eyes were a vibrant green. Of course he was gawking at me. It’s not everyday a girl pulls herself out of the ground. I wanted to get up and shake hands, thank him, anything, but my muscles didn’t approve. So I just sat there. I did manage to say, “Give me a minute, please?” He nodded but he still kept the expression of shock on his face.
    After a minute or so I finally got onto my feet as I held out my dirt covered hand.

    “My name is Crow, I am grateful that you helped me out of that damn grave. I’m sure you’re curious as to why I’m in there in the first place, and I’d love to tell you, but you probably wouldn’t believe me.” I smirked as he gave small smile. I could tell it was forced.

    “Uh, that’s okay,” he responded, “as long as I get some sort of explanation, then I will be happy.”
    “Well, if that’s the case then may I head inside a building somewhere? I would love to sit in a chair if you don’t mind.”
    “O-of course. Right this way.”
    I followed this poor guy to a building on the outskirts of the graveyard. Once we were inside I ran for the couch as I plopped my butt into it. I was happier then I had ever been in my entire life. He closed the door as he instantly faced me. No longer was he in shock. He actually seemed like a different person. He was so serious and adult looking.

    “Now, an explanation, please?” I knew it wasn’t a question, more of a demand.
    “You see, there’s this vampire, his name is Khalil, and he is out to kill me.”
    “A vampire? Okay, I’ve heard stranger, keep going. How does that lead to you being in the ground?”
    “Well, he caught me, and he attacked me, and then buried me in a coffin. I have the bite marks to prove it.” I tossed back my scarlet hair as I arched my neck, so he could get a better view. I watched as he came closer and examined the bloody marks. He seemed more eager to listen now.
    “Well Khalil had a creator named Efrem, but my ancestors killed him, now Khalil wants revenge. Well, he got his revenge actually. But it just didn’t work the right way since I’m still alive.” I gave a coy smile. I knew this wasn’t the time or place, but I couldn’t stand all the negative energy that was building up between us.
    “So,” he began, “Why would he kill you, if it was your ancestors who killed him, and not you yourself?”
    “Because, he has already killed every other member in my family. I am the last Marshall in the world. Once I’m dead, we will all be gone, and his revenge served.” I leaned my head against the arm rest. This was already starting to go on longer then what I would have liked.
    “So, your last name is Marshall then?”
    I just simply nodded. Sure, he caught on quick with the vampire stuff, but he wasn’t very smart when it came to human beings.
    “Well, I’m sorry that your family is gone. Where are you staying now?”
    “No where. I used to stay in the junkyard, but that’s not safe now. So, I have to find a new hiding spot.”
    “I see... you could stay at my place.”
    I shot up. “What?! Me stay with you?”
    “I didn’t mean...”
    “What kind of girl do you think I am?! Just because I don’t have parents giving me a list of rules doesn’t mean that I’m open game!”
    “That’s not what I meant!” He shouted. His voice was completely different then what it used to be. His eyes were like fire to my skin as his voice echoed through my ears. I went silent as I watched him simmer down.
    “I meant stay at my house. Of course you’d have a different room and all that. But you don’t have to say yes. I was offering, since you have no where else to go.” 

    He then looked away. I had no idea what he was feeling right then and there, but I knew that I was scared. I don’t know why, but he had an aura that frightened me when he was angry. I held my head low as I replied,

    “Yes, I would. Thank you.”
    “Okay then,” He nodded as he opened the door, “My shift is almost over, stay here and rest. When I come back we’ll leave.”

     I nodded as he headed out the door. I was confused. One moment he was shy and then he became... well, a little leader like. It was quite a jump. Maybe he too isn’t just an open book to read. I laid back down as I tried to figure out why he had such a sudden personality change. Eventually I gave up and drifted off to a soundless sleep.

   My eyes awoke to a strange room that was unfamiliar to me. Its walls were painted yellow with white lines circling the room where the ceiling touched the wall. I sat up in a rush as the room started to spin. Where was I? After a moment of recollection I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood up. The room was fairly small and very childish. There were dolls on shelves and teddy bears posing, as if they were staring straight at me. If I had to guess where I was I’d say a toy shop. Although, I doubt that was the case here.

    There was a soft knock on the brightly painted door as it opened before I had the chance to say anything. There in the doorway was the man from the graveyard, guess you could call him my hero, but that wouldn’t be correct, not exactly.
    “I see your awake, that’s good. I made breakfast if you’re hungry.”
    “Oh, um, thanks, I guess.” I replied.
    He gave one last look and then turned to leave.

   “Wait!” I called out, “I’d like to talk to you if you don’t mind.”
    “Sure, what would you like to talk about?” He then crossed his arms and faced me, staring straight into my eyes. It was kinda intimidating to tell the truth.
    “Well, um, first thing first, what’s your name? I didn’t get the chance to ask in the rush of everything yesterday.”
    He gave a slight chuckle, “its Carl, Carl Malone. Is that all?”
    “Of course not,” I glared at him, “That would be pointless to hold you back just to ask for your name. No, I had a question concerning our location. Where are we?”
    “Well, my house. Remember, that was what we discussed yesterday, was it not?”
    “Yeah, I remember, but this room seems kinda childish, don’t you think? Unless, of course, you have a kid.”
    He laughed a musical sound that was pleasant to hear. “No, I am only twenty-one for God’s sake.”
    “Then what’s with this room?” I asked, honestly curious.
    “It was for when my little sister Cynthia came to visit, she loves this kind of stuff. Every weekend she’d come over with some new teddy bear or doll, and every weekend she’d leave it here.” He laughed again, but this one was different. It was more like a cover up. “She used to tell me that if she had ever disappeared that I could remember her by all her toys, so I kept them. At the time I thought it was hilariously cute, but now...”
    I finally understood. I stepped forward but then stopped. There was no way I could comfort him. I wasn’t the type for that. Compassion and sympathy wasn’t really my thing. So I stood there, helplessly.
    He finally turned away. “I better go. I’ve bothered you long enough.” He made his way towards the door and was about to head out when I finally spoke.

    “Carl, I’m real sorry. I didn’t mean to bring back bad memories.”

     He stopped and faced me, with a small smile on his face. “You didn’t. You brought back good memories. Thank you.” With that he left, leaving me standing in the room that belonged to Cynthia.

    Breakfast was very awkward. Carl and I just sat there staring at our plates. We didn’t really talk too much. Perhaps our previous conversation ruined the friendship we had the possibility of having. I sure hope not. I gave a sigh as I stepped into the bathroom he had offered to me just after I finished eating. I told him thanks but no thanks, but after I thought about it a shower seemed a little too tempting.

    I slowly began removing my articles of clothing as I started up the water. I waited until the water was warm then turned the shower head on and stepped in pulling the shower curtain closed. The water instantly relaxed my muscles and I felt clean already. I shut my eyes as the water ran down my body.

    Then there was a crash. My eyes snapped open as I listened carefully. I heard Carl cussing loudly and then another voice. One that I had never heard in my life. It was deep and husky, and very demanding. I had the water off in a second and a towel wrapped around me as I fled out the door and rushed downstairs.

    I saw Carl in this massive man’s face. When I say massive, I mean over six feet tall and muscular. Almost like a body builder. He was an African American with long braided hair that was a deep chocolate brown, with pupils the color of coal, at least it looked that way while he was glaring down at Carl. They both looked very pissed off. I spoke up, a little hesitant at first, but when they didn’t hear me I called out louder,

    “What is going on here?!” They both looked my way.

    Carl’s expression changed slightly, seeing me partially nude, but the husky man kept the same angry flush upon his face.
    “This man,” he jabbed a finger at Carl, “is a liar and a thief!”
    Carl’s anger came back, and he ignored me. “I haven’t stolen a thing, nor have I lied!”
    The other man huffed, “Bah! There you go again! More lies! You’ll be a dead man when...” I cut him off.

    “Hey! What in the world are you talking about? Obviously standing in the middle of the entry room isn’t going to get us far. Why don’t we all sit in the living room and cool off then try to talk like reasonable men, not savage animals lusting to tear each other apart.”

    Carl gave a slight pout and turned away as the husky man stared at me, not with hate, but not nicely either. He then replied, “This woman has a valuable point. Perhaps we should.”

    Woman? I guess it’s better than the other things he could’ve called me. Carl sighed and then held out his hand gesturing towards the living room. “After you, Giovanni.” He tried to say it politely, but it sounded all wrong being said through his gritted teeth. At least I didn’t have to ask the big guy what his name was. That’s one conversation I got to avoid. Thanks Carl. When Giovanni went to sit on the couch Carl pulled me aside. “Perhaps you should go get dressed first.”
    Suddenly I felt the need to ease tension, “Why? Am I distracting?”
    He wasn’t in the mood for jokes. “No, you’re embarrassing. Get dressed.”
    I rolled my eyes and walked off towards the stairs. “Whatever, you know you like it. I already caught you drooling.” I stomped up the stairs, not bothering to listen to his response.

    By the time I got downstairs, dressed, they were sitting on the opposite sides of the large sofa, facing away from one another. They looked like little kids who just got caught fighting over a toy and they are having a pouting fit because they got in trouble, although, Giovanni could hardly be referred to as a child. He was huge after all. I took the one seat left, the middle. Both heads turned toward me. Oh great... I feel like Oprah.
    “Okay, Giovanni how about you tell Carl and me what you’re so pissed about?”
    “This man, if he even deserves to be called that, has stolen our princess.”
    “What?!” I exclaimed.
    “I doubt you want me to repeat myself woman.”
    “Princess?” I questioned, a little sarcastic. “I don’t mean to sound rude, but isn’t that a little fairytale-ish. These are modern times.”
    Carl then butted in. “Says the woman having her vam-"

    I then gave him a glare daring him to continue that sentence. He shut his mouth a bit resentful but he was being respectful enough.

    "He’s not like your modern city day folk," Carl beganon a softer tone, "He lives in the woods on the outskirts of town along with his tribe. They run things by having a single individual ruling all the rest. It’s confusing and they should stay with the times.”

    Giovanni jumped up and so did I. “Woman, you best move out of my way. This is man to man. I do not wish to harm you.”
    I stayed my ground, unafraid. “If you want him you’re gonna have to hit a girl.” I decided to get cocky, “Make your choice.”

    Several moments passed, and then Giovanni sat down huffing like a big bad wolf that didn’t get his pig. I stayed standing and turned to face Carl who was getting redder by the second. “Carl, what’s your say in the matter?”

    He glanced up at me then replied, “I say, why in the hell do you come barging in my house accusing me of something that I never did?”
    “My tribe and I know what happened to Cynthia. She was killed by our kind, yes? You wanted to take the same thing from us. Don’t lie, Carl. We all know it’s true.”
    “What the hell do you know?!?” Carl screamed, jumping up from his seat. “I didn’t take Gabby! I swear to God I didn’t!”
    Giovanni shook his head, “You can’t live your life in lies.”
    “Aagh! There’s no use talking to you!” Carl cried in anger and stormed off towards the kitchen.

    I decided it’s time to be more than just the therapist. “You know,” I said as I sat down beside Giovanni, “I don’t think Carl took this Gabby. I would’ve seen her around. Perhaps this guess of yours is incorrect. Maybe there’s more involved than you think.”

    He looked at me curiously, “Like what?”
I gave a shrug, “Who knows? Perhaps you should try to find out for yourself. Maybe Carl will help you.” He never considered that there was another option? Maybe his tribe was all muscle and no brain. 

    Giovanni then gave a light laugh. “You know, woman, I like you. You do not let men control your life. You will truly be someone someday.”
    I smiled; a compliment is a compliment no matter how it’s said. “Thank you, and for the record,” I held out my hand, “My name is Crow.”

    He took it, smiling himself. “Very nice to speak to you, Crow.”

    Carl then stepped back into the room, a little more relaxed. He started to say something but then recognized that the tension was all gone. I decided to inform him before he starts thinking something far from the truth.

    “Giovanni and I had a bit of a discussion and he has come to realize that maybe you aren’t the culprit. He is willing to get more evidence, but it would be nice if you helped.”
    “Are you being serious?” He asked, no emotion on his face what so ever.
    “Yeah, I am.” I replied crossing my arms, ready to get snide if needed.
    “No.”
    “No? What do you mean no?”
    "I mean, I’m not helping him. Why should I? He barged through my door breaking the window on it to a thousand pieces, and I see no need for me to get involved.”
    That explains the crashing noise. “I can understand you’re refusal, but if you help him this would just prove your innocence.”
    “I don’t need to prove anything. That’s what lawyers are for.”
    I rolled my eyes. “I can imagine it now. A wild man going to court. Doesn’t that just fit? No offense Gio.”

    He smirked, “None taken, birdie.” A nickname for a nickname, guess that’s fair.
    “Listen to you two!” Carl complained. “You sound like you’re perfect buddies. You remember young lady, this is my house! I can kick you out if I want to!”
     That hit a nerve. “And you listen to me, you jerk! Maybe for once you could do someone else a favor!”
    “I helped you didn’t I?”
    “You had no choice! I was a poor defenseless little girl! If you didn’t help me you’d look bad! Didn't want that on the record did you? But when a grown man has lost a child you suddenly turn down doing a good thing!”
    His scowl hardened, "I didn't have to invite you in my house."

    "Then why did you?" I questioned crossing my arms.

    He didn't respond. With a sigh he chook his head in disbelief. 

    I decided to go a little softer. “If it was Cynthia, what would you do?”
He looked up at me and gave another sigh. “All right, I’ll help you Giovanni.”

    I gave an approving nod as Giovanni held out his hand towards Carl. “Thank you, friend. I appreciate you’re help in searching for my daughter. This means a lot.”

   Carl just nodded and shook his hand briefly. I turned to go back upstairs; I had a shower to finish.

    “Wait, Crow...” It was Carl.

    “Yeah,” I replied glancing back.
“If I have to help, so do you. You have to earn your keep somehow, right?" He gave a simple smile.

    I couldn’t help but smile back, “Well if I have to...” I went back upstairs. Our friendship was saved.



© 2011 Ravyn-Ann


Author's Note

Ravyn-Ann
I know that it's not the best thing ever written but I wrote it five years ago and would like to know what to do to improve my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This seems like an interesting story in the making. I feel a very entertaining plot-line brewing and would love to read more, so keep me updated. If I were to make a request, however, I'd say to shorten some of your paragraphs. Some are a bit too long for one paragraph. Otherwise, I encourage you to continue with this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This seems like an interesting story in the making. I feel a very entertaining plot-line brewing and would love to read more, so keep me updated. If I were to make a request, however, I'd say to shorten some of your paragraphs. Some are a bit too long for one paragraph. Otherwise, I encourage you to continue with this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
1 Review
Added on December 22, 2011
Last Updated on December 23, 2011
Tags: vampire, book, ravyn, ravyn-ann, hunting, chapter


Author

Ravyn-Ann
Ravyn-Ann

Denton, TX



About
My name is Ravyn-Ann. I am a senior in High School who is still trying to figure out what to do in life. The one thing I am sure about is that I hope to achieve a creative writing degree. Ever since I.. more..

Writing
My Heart My Heart

A Poem by Ravyn-Ann