Presumptions

Presumptions

A Story by writerkumar
"

Don't we presume a lot of things unconsciously?

"

Sometimes it seems that we presume a lot. We just see something and start making our own assumptions based on our earlier experiences. Some people go a little bit forward and start stereotyping also. Moreover, the moment we face facts, which have the potential to shatter our presumptions and give us a correct picture, depending upon how deeply we believe ourselves, we either accept or discard our presumptions, which by that time look like the original fact due to its frequent usage. That’s why, there is a saying, even if you lie consistently about something for a period of time, society starts accepting that lie as a fact and starts believing in it.      


I do not know so far that the musical instrument ‘Sitar’ (in Norwegian) is called ‘Zither’ in English. However, I have been using the word ‘Sitar’ whenever I was talking about it without knowing that it is a Norwegian word. So far, I have been thinking that ‘Sitar’ is an English word. The funny point is that most of the people with whom I spoke using this word never corrected me. Maybe, they also do not know that it is a Norwegian word.  In addition, they were comfortable with the ‘Sitar’ usage and never complained about that. Only after I stumbled upon an English-Norwegian dictionary, I came to know about Sitar’s English cousin.


In summary, I have been using the word Sitar presuming that it is an English word (correct me if I am wrong!) so far and even today, when I came to know that Sitar’s English version is called ‘Zither’, yet, I am more comfortable using the word ‘Sitar’ instead of ‘Zither’.

© 2011 writerkumar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 7, 2011