Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Love Letter to Arlene

Love Letter to Arlene

A Story by PegMan
"

I wrote this reflecting on a time away and a time together.

"
This is a love letter to Arlene

I remember arriving home late, away from you and the kids for the week " exhausted, a hard drive through winter dark and blowing snow. We had supped, caught up perhaps. It is time lost to be away five days at a time, sometimes more, and a young family, everyone with so much to say.

We read some stories and put the kids to bed. Red wine was poured, candles lit, room lights turned down low, and not much said. Those were the days of records and a turntable. Do you remember I selected “The Swan of Tuonela” by the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.  I selected it for the oboe. The music brought both of us to life! How we talked. I thought of it as an acknowledgement of death, perhaps the swan was on the river Styx and bore witness to Charon, the ferryman of Hades, carrying the souls of the newly deceased.

I remember how we looked at each other in that candlelight as we talked and listened to the music. I drank you in -- your hands, your eyes and cheeks and the shape of your neck that I had imagined during the week away from you. I had been able to hold these images of you close to me when I nightly read aloud the poetry of Irving Layton, so sensuous!

We have been lovers for more than half our lives. We know each other, what each loves, but also what surprises. I still dream of the shape of your neck, love your laugh and am fiercely proud of your accomplishments.

I always seek your blue, blue eyes; they're always best when there is no shame, hurt or fear.

© 2014 PegMan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm absolutely blown away! I enjoyed this letter, as well as the version of "The Swan Of Tuonela" I found on YouTube. I especially like the way this letter flows, unbroken, almost as if it were the river Styx.

Posted 10 Years Ago


PegMan

10 Years Ago

It's easy and it's hard, this experience that is love. Thank you for reading this personal reflectio.. read more
that's one of the best letters I read in a long time. Simply beautiful. thanks so much for sharing. :) have a great day.
-maria rose

Posted 10 Years Ago


A amazing letter. I miss the days of letters. We can hold them in our hands and keep them forever. The letter was beautiful. Told of the simple and wonderful things two people can be. Thank you for sharing the amazing letter.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


PegMan

10 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. Distance and separation, part of that absence mak.. read more
So very beautiful. The heartfelt invigorating emotions and love so serene and true. Beautiful Indeed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PegMan

10 Years Ago

Ah my beloved, so good to be in love, as it was then, and is now. Thanks for reading and responding .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2014
Last Updated on April 5, 2014

Author

PegMan
PegMan

Winnipeg, Canada



Writing
Robins Sing Robins Sing

A Poem by PegMan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..