Ash

Ash

A Poem by River Page

Ash

 

I spent five years of my life hiding poems like this from my mother so she wouldn’t burn them.

Just like Caligula burned the Christians before the Christians started burning the Jews.

And poetry.

I know how people are kinder when someone wants them dead.

 That love is patient and kind.

And I will scream that truth at the top of my lungs like the Westbero Baptist Church screamed F****t at Matthew Sheppard’s funeral.

Regardless I still believe the world is beautiful.
Yet they tell me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think I need some f*****g glasses.

Because last week I saw a video of a little Syrian girl shaking in a puddle of her mother’s blood.

We studied The Holocaust every year in high school but they never taught us that there are death camps from Rwanda to Damascus and we’re more concerned with Kim Kardashian’s a*s.

Would someone please tell me how we can learn so little from the past, while running so quickly into the future we forgot how we got here?

And how do we have the right to complain that our Nike’s are too tight when the nine year old boy who made them is so thin that he cant keep his blue jeans up.

And no mama I don’t afraid of hell.

Because it’s the place the Devil went to get away from here.

Because I’ve seen more saints and prophets in cardboard boxes and w***e houses then I’ve ever seen in white steeple churches.

So leave my poems alone and give a dollar to that man with a cardboard sign and a cigarette in his mouth.

Because I don’t need a god to know what love is.

© 2013 River Page


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This speaks the truth. You are so right about how f****d up are society is. I can't get over that enough. As I totally agree with you, that just made this poem all the better. So what I'm trying to get at here is, I loved your poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


wow, this is really meaningful and so true. Structure wise, I love the styling of your words. There is a good emphasis on the words and sentences that are supposed to be important. The comparisons are wonderful and this is just an amazing write! Good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This poem seems to match your other one a lot, You really speak your mind through these poems even if the views can be seen as controversial. You word your thoughts so well that they have a big impact and really made me think

Posted 11 Years Ago


River you are just great.
U have written ma mind out.
You have covered almost all the happenings of history so well along with the lessons.
Ash will be ma all time favorite.
Thank you River.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wise words my friend, I commend you for speaking your mind!! The last line was particularly.....ummm...impactful?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

River Page

11 Years Ago

Thanks! :)
C.C. Marx

11 Years Ago

My pleasure, interesting piece to say the least!! Haha that rhymed
Wow, River, this was a lot like your other one, I'm glad you were able to come out with your own voice. I know we are expected to respect our parents, but we are not expected to be them and follow them like their own blind little disciples, BRAVO

Posted 11 Years Ago


River Page

11 Years Ago

Yeah I wrote them the same day, I'm pretty sure. Thanks :)
oh my.. i really would like to know what transpired that made u write this :-) ?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

River Page

11 Years Ago

Haha. Maybe Ill message you later.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 19, 2013
Last Updated on February 19, 2013

Author

River Page
River Page

TX



About
My name is River Page. I am sixteen and live in Texas. Yes my real name is River, but I'm not pulling out my Social Security Card to prove it. So, my fav's. Music- Florence and the Machine, The Lu.. more..

Writing