The Godess

The Godess

A Poem by River Page

The Goddess

There are times.

When I think God has a wife .

When I am convinced, that the world is a dream in the mind of a sleeping goddess.

And she never asks why men enter her home with bloodstains on their clothes.

As they drop bombs and shoot guns in the name of a man with mangled wrists whom she wishes her barren womb could have carried.

Her iris the sky and her pupil the moon.

She wakes to celestial darkness and weeps.

When Yahweh nudges her roughly and grunts .

Because for all of the hate she saw, there was a boy in Utah with enough love to drown away the sins of Adolf Hitler.

But the last thing she saw on earth was a rope wrapped around that boys neck.

And she can’t stop crying and I know why.

Just like she knows that the gates of Heaven are too high for him to scale because that boy was gay.

And Jesus tosses him bread the North Wall with swollen red eyes when nobody’s looking.

While his father eats meat roasted over Isabella’s Inquisition fires.

Five years ago, Mother Teresa left the city, with a note saying “This is not what I worked for.”

All the Angels knew that Lucifer was cast out for making beautiful music.

Michael gnashed his teeth when they told they’d won the battle because they all really hated to see him go.

He was a kid with a guitar and a smile sitting beside the temple every Sunday.

And the goddess tell Jesus she’d leave everything behind if she could only be given a name.

But he just smiles sadly and keeps tossing the bread and choking back his sobbing.

He’s the only one in Heaven whose scars weren’t earned in a battle.

 

Maybe I’m a dreamer and maybe I’m wrong.

But tonight I am as sure and wide awake.

Kill is a verb

Curse is a verb

And Greed is an adjective

But Love is a religion

Not of god, but of women whose bodies have been stolen but they keep smiling to men.

And little boys whose bellies are empty but they give their food to stray dogs on the side of the road.

And for men whose backs are covered with gashes from whips on their backs, but they couldn’t have the love beat out of them.

This is their faith,

 this is their revolution,

their creed,

 this is their god.

 

© 2013 River Page


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank goodness for Gaia, the one that gives birth to all things and in all things as One.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Away from the world of Rhymes and metaphors.. You have your own different world of writing.
You write straight and I feel its right.
Lot of maturity is reflected.
It was amazing experience reading and relating to "The Godess".

Posted 11 Years Ago


River Page

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much again! I never wrote poetry like this until I realized how messed up the world has go.. read more
Mary Christabel George

11 Years Ago

To portray the messed up world is really difficult because its really creating chaos. But you did ju.. read more
Every religion has its flaws, much like the people who practice it do....glad i got around to finding this one in my requests, it's definitely a favorite of mine by you!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


River Page

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Its a bit different for me.
C.C. Marx

11 Years Ago

My pleasure, hey sometimes different is good!!
I like the fact you pointed out the flaws in religion because there is when you think about it a lot to question. Great use of language and imagery, love it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


River Page

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
River Page

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
River, this was exceptional,
Kill is a verb

Curse is a verb

And Greed is an adjective

But Love is a religion

Not of god, but of women whose bodies have been stolen but they keep smiling to men.

And little boys whose bellies are empty but they give their food to stray dogs on the side of the road.

And for men whose backs are covered with gashes from whips on their backs, but they couldn’t have the love beat out of them.

This is their faith,

this is their revolution,

their creed,

this is their god.

And this was amazing, Love is a beautiful thing and doesn't always come to those who are looking for it, but to those who need it. The idea of god turning away the gay boy, and of Mother Theresa leaving, this was hard to read almost, but hard to stop. WOW

Posted 11 Years Ago


River Page

11 Years Ago

Lol. Yeah, perhaps a bit sacreligious. But I'm a humanist, not a Christian, so I kinda feel the need.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 19, 2013
Last Updated on February 19, 2013

Author

River Page
River Page

TX



About
My name is River Page. I am sixteen and live in Texas. Yes my real name is River, but I'm not pulling out my Social Security Card to prove it. So, my fav's. Music- Florence and the Machine, The Lu.. more..

Writing
Ash Ash

A Poem by River Page