Thus, My Story Begins

Thus, My Story Begins

A Chapter by reggie_joel

Whoever believed in superpowers?

I did.

Call me a fool but I really did. I also had a heart that was bigger than the rest of my body (and that was saying something), as I’ve been told and I guess that was probably what brought the annoying Guardian to me.

Was I complaining about my partner in crime?

You bet.

Was I whining about these abilities I seemed to have manifested out of nowhere?

Of course.

Did I want to turn back time and change the way things turned out?

Never.

The life I had now compared to my life before was like comparing a frog to a prince.

Yes, the contrast was so different, it was blinding. I wouldn’t give it up even for all the gold in the world, and that was also saying something because most people would kill for all the gold in the world but I wasn’t most people so let me rephrase that.

I wouldn’t give it up for all the food in the world.

My life now consisted of only one thing: saving people. And I was hell bent on keeping at it until I had saved every single person that needed saving.

When I was younger I would always imagine myself with superpowers and the most important part was how I got them. For example, getting hit by a truck then waking up with superhuman strength, getting struck by lightning and developing super speed or turning into Wolverine 2.0 overnight by getting injected then soaked in vile liquid.

Needless to say, they were all very cool ways so I sure as hell wasn’t expecting my discovery into the ‘superpower world’ to be as annoying as this.

Thus, my story begins . . .

=====

Financially, my mum and I were fine. She was a real estate agent and she was damned good at her job. She never had to leave the house unless it was to meet up with clients to show them sites. Mostly, she made calls and typed away on her laptop.

We were already living comfortably but our status went up a notch when she married Frank, the illustrious CEO of a recycling enterprise and a fertilizer company. We moved to his three-story house right after the wedding. I have to admit that I missed living in town where I could meet my friends anytime but living in a rich (and I mean rich) neighbourhood where you had to show your pass-card to security to be able to enter had its benefits as well.

Do not even ask how visitors of the residents enter. The whole get-up is so ridiculous it’s actually pretty awesome.

Despite all that dough I had at my (okay, not really my disposal) disposal, I still opted for the normal life.

I got a job at our local supermarket.

Average job with average pay and average hours. I was the rookie there and no one paid much attention to me because I seemed to be blending in with the environment so well that people mistook me for a part of the shelves.

With the exception of one person.

“Hey, Kaylie, would you like to go grab a cuppa with me after we’re off?”

I looked up at Dustin from where I was tagging canned food on the floor. His bright green eyes gleamed back at me as he shoved his hands into the front pocket of the green apron we were all supposed to wear. It matched his eyes, actually. Not mine though. I had hazel eyes. The apron only made me look like some badly paired outfit.

“Gee, Dustin, I’d love to but I have class right after,” I apologized, pressing the trigger on the tag gun and rolling the end onto the side of the can.

I wasn’t lying; I did have class. But on the other hand, I was also avoiding him but not for the reasons you think.

Dustin was amiable and he was one of those rare species of chivalrous, smart, good-looking guys who was still single. Miraculously, I’d managed to catch his eye the day I started work here.

“Oh.” He looked really dejected. “Well, some other time then. Catch you later.” He flashed me a shy smile and sauntered away. I shook my head. He was potential. No, my ego was in check; I just didn’t want to get too involved.

I carried on tagging the cans.

Every time the shelves at the perishable goods section needed replenishing, I was responsible for restocking them and tagging them. The new goods all came in boxes and I swear, the people who came here to buy groceries bought stuff like tomorrow was the end of the world. Mr. Griff liked to keep the shelves full so I had to restock every day. Not that I was complaining. I actually enjoyed tagging cans.

Yes, I’m weird like that.

When we started or ended a shift, we had to punch cards. There was this clock-like machine thingy that was attached to the wall in the staff room. Beside it on a columned-rack hung our cards, all in alphabetical order. I never took the time to count but I figured there were quite a number of us because the columns were almost always full. I thought it was cool that we got to punch cards like that but that’s just me.

I slid my card into the machine, waited for the machine to mark it and pulled it out. The aprons were practically ours. The company produced new ones every year and we got them for free. At least, that’s what they told us. I always kept my apron in my locker so I wouldn’t forget it when I was rushing from class to work.

As I got into my car, I noticed a figure standing near the entrance to the loading bay. It was a he, judging by the way they stood and that shape of their body. He seemed to be wearing a hood so I couldn’t really see his face but it looked like he was looking my way.

That was strange. People only went to the loading bay when there was fresh stock coming in. And fresh supplies only came in on Mondays and Tuesdays, when we needed to restock all the shelves.

Thinking nothing of it, I started the engine.

Probably somebody’s friend who was waiting.

 



© 2017 reggie_joel


Author's Note

reggie_joel
Hi guys! This is my first chapter. I would love feedback and tips. Happy reading. Cheers!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on December 9, 2017
Last Updated on December 9, 2017


Author

reggie_joel
reggie_joel

Kuching/Subang Jaya, Malaysia



About
I'll use simple words to describe myself. Sleeping. Writing. Ice cream. Cookies. Music. Movies. Cuddling. Sleeping. Wolves/Dogs. Reading. Rain. Night. Writing. :) more..

Writing