The Unfortunates : of befriending Alice Walker

The Unfortunates : of befriending Alice Walker

A Story by Renad.M.M
"

part 2

"

"we're safe" Alice declares.

"oh yeah? I cant even believe you did this to me Alice, you knew I loved her and you killed her!! She was MY BEST FRIEND TOO, I hate you Alice I HATE YOU" I said in tears.

"SHUT UP, I practically saved your life so stop whining already. God, you're so pathetic when it comes to her"

I ignored Alice and ran toward the main street, trying desperately to reach home before fainting. I can hear Alice's voice, somewhere behind me. Still singing that freaking song.

 Brick brock, tick tock

Stone the dead, dead duck

Brick brock, tick tock

Stone the dead, dead duck

As I approached, I heard police cars sirens. Alice heard it too, that’s when she started running to catch up with me.

"they must be looking for us" Alice said.

"we're so grounded, maybe for a decade or two. Thanks to you. And that’s if they don’t find out what you did, which I'm sure they will. And when they do, that’s a another disaster. I don’t want to spend my life in jail Alice".

"would you STOP being a drama queen. You worry too much, just go with the flow"

"one hell of a flow"

As we approach the street where the police cars are randomly 'parked' in the middle of it. a police officer who was leaning against one of the cars and smoking a cigarette. He holds up something to his mouth that looks like a cell phone. A oilice radio I guess.

And we can faintly hear him speaking into it.

 

 

"I can spot two kids approaching and as it appears to me they match the description the parents gave us. Two Girls almost 4'6" one of them with a boyish hair and the other one Is blonde. No injuries but they appear to be in an unpleasing shape. I'll call off the research as soon as I can confirm that they're the missing one's".  

After that he immediately hanged the radio on his belt and ran toward us, asking us if we were okay or if any of us was injured. And then he led us both to my house where three other police officers were coming out of it to see the two missing 8 year olds.

They took us inside as mom and Alice's mother rained us with questions and tears.  And according to the way the police officers, my parents, Alice's parents, and Alice's grandmother looked at us. I suppose we didnt look 'pleasing'  after all. I realized we looked horrible. Wet with rain and frozen cold, our faces and hands were pale and covered in mud and "not surprisingly- blood. Which caused even more questions.

The only thing I was worried about then was lying. I hate lying for two reasons :                1- mom is the biggest liar I've ever known in my entire life "which's only 8 year olds so there'll definitely be more lying- anyways, I remember once asking her how babies were born. And she was like "oh dear jenna. Well, you have to get married first. And then when you and your husband are both ready. You go to the supermarket and buy beans. And you choose one bean to drop in a jar and then you take care of it until it grows to become a wonderful baby". Nice theory mom! We all know you have sex to 'create' babys. I guess it explains the banging I hear on my bedroom wall sometimes. Yuk!.

She also says  im the smartest girl ever. Well guess what? If I were, your house wouldn’t be filled with cops after midnight. you hang on there guys. There's so much of it you didn’t know about yet. I'll let you know about mom's record of how to make yourself look stupid in front of your child. Just sometimes later.

2- you can never survive with a lie. Someone will know. Someone always knows. And when that someone decides that he will no longer keep hold of your little dirty lies. He'll tell another someone. And that other someone will tell another someone. And there you are, exposed and shamed. And your word will always be suspected if true or not. And you'll always feel naked. That’s how it feels, when you stand in front of someone who knows your lies. It feels like you're naked, like you're exposed and you want to cover up. "if you don’t know how that feels I suggest you strip naked right now and walk out of your room for someone to see you. If you can bare staring into  that person's eye for 5 minutes, you're free to fill up your life with lies all you want-.

Sitting on the sofa in the middle of our living room, surrounded by anxious parents and stone-faced police officers. Starts the lying.

"so jenna, do you care to explain your disappearance for the last 10 hours?" one of the officers asks.

-not in the slightest amount, officer- that’s what I wanted to say but instead "Ah.. yes".

As I open my mouth hopelessly waiting for my brain to invent a convenient story, Alice luckily interrupts and says that we were just playing in the woods and we were so caught up in our game that we forgot the way out.

"and what explains the blood on your hands miss Alice?"

-OH MY GOD IT FEELS LIKE THE MOVIES- panic alert in my brain.

"i… we were just.."

-COME ON ALICE COME UP WITH SOMETHING-

"Jenna fell and cut her leg on our way out of the woods. There was blood so I touched it to see how bad it was. I guess I was unaware i got blood on my hands then" she said calmly.

OF COURSE! THE WOUND! when we were running out with our lives and I tripped. I was so horrified I didn’t even realize I hurt my leg. I guess Alice just noticed it too. The officer took a long stare at my leg and then, standing up, he said that he's glad we're all safe now and that we shouldn't be playing in the woods on our own anymore. Then he asked for my dad and Alice's dad to come outside with him so they can discuss some 'things' and fill up a few papers.

And of course, you know the drill, an absolute hundred torturing hours of endless lectures by our moms that we "could've been kidnapped" or "bitten by the animals living in the woods" and all the bullshit-stories your parents create to prevent you from doing something they don’t want you to do.

The funny thing is, they all considered us 'victims' of the large intimidating grounds of the woods. That’s what happens when there's a case including a child in it. the children are always the victims. Well here's my theory on this : you should've seen what had Alice done in the woods. But instead, children will always remain as the 'angels' in their heads. I mean, aren’t we all?

2008, September 6th    -

As i and Alice sit on the step of our front door.

"Alice, back In the woods, after you killed my cat, what did you mean when you said that she's 12?"

"she's the 12th sacrifice" she said as she stared directly at the sun as if the light didn’t bother her at all.

"what does sacrifice mean Alice?"

"oh jenna, do I always have to teach you everything?".  

   

© 2016 Renad.M.M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on August 9, 2016
Last Updated on August 9, 2016

Author

Renad.M.M
Renad.M.M

jeddah, Saudi Arabia



About
someone once said "writers who spend all night writing, addicted to caffeine and smoking hand-rolled cigarettes, are a myth". that someone is Harry Quebert. more..

Writing