In Memory of Florentine Batzes

In Memory of Florentine Batzes

A Poem by Raven Wilson

The Lord is my Shepard; I shall not want.

He is my salvation, and I lie under him, in his glory

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside still waters.

I am the sheperds lamb, warm in his soft embrace, where no longer do I weep for I am in His grace.

He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

I am happy, I am free, the Lord hath taken me to where water is clear and I no longer fear.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me.

My Lord is with me, arm in arm, he leads me to a blessed land where all is fine.

Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

They guide me through my newest journey in the service of my Lord.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

I do not want, I have no hunger, there is no sickness, there is no fear.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I have known only kindness and what is right in the arms of the Lord, and I continue in the service, in the land of my Lord.

Amen

...Amen

© 2012 Raven Wilson


Author's Note

Raven Wilson
This was written for a family member of mine who recently passed away. Although I do not follow religion I know how Important it was to her.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This seems to be rather good, as far as I can see. You have even managed to keep with, some rather Biblical language. "The Lord is with me, arm in arm, he leads me to a blessed land where all is fine". I really liked this line, for example. It's quite uplifting and positive to read. Presumably, Heaven is the "blessed land" to which you refer? Also, I liked your contrast with the dark tone of the previous line.

In one line, the writer refers to a "rod" and a "staff". Why, is it necessary to refer to both objects? Unless, the writer was thinking of, the slightly negative association with a "rod" and the more pleasant link to "staff" (as in the context of a shepherd guiding and looking after his flock).

Further nice wording, as as follows, "and I continue in the service, in the land of my Lord". This made me think, of eternal loyalty to God, even in death....

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 15, 2009
Last Updated on August 22, 2012

Author

Raven Wilson
Raven Wilson

~~, NY



About
My name is Raven, I currently reside in a very obscure little town near the Canadian border in New York. At this moment I am eighteen years of age. My favorite topics deal with heartbreak, pain, loss,.. more..

Writing