THANKSGIVING IN NYC 1970 SOMETHING

THANKSGIVING IN NYC 1970 SOMETHING

A Story by Robert Filos

Growing up in the Bronx you would have thought that I had spent many years enjoying the Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade in Manhattan in person. But as a child there was nothing further from the truth. In fact, I can only recall going to the Parade as a child once. Maybe it was due to the fact that my family and my cousins family shared a vehicle back then. As far as cousins go it would be hard to have any closer. You see my father, Claude P. Filos and his brother Richard P. Filos had married two sisters. My mother being Kathleen Walsh and her sister Francis Walsh of the now infamous Parkchester Walsh's. More about them in a future edition.
Now, Richard and my dad were partners in a printing and stationary business known as Riverside Printing Co.. Their main shop was at 103 St. and Broadway, with another in Parkchester on Unionport Rd. just south of Gristeede's Grocery store. The store in Parkchester sold paper and office and school supplies, along with the long rows of greeting cards, and took orders for Wedding Invitations and the like. At the time Grandma Walsh would work the store in Parkchester while the brothers would ride together each morning to the store downtown, thus the need for just the one vehicle, always a station wagon. I'm sure there must have been some disagreements on weekend usage but I can't remember any. Most Saturdays they or at least one of them seemed to be working and Sundays was a walk to St. Helena's for Mass, and then home with a possible stop at Pakula's Bakery or Rosemart's deli on the way home. If we were lucky maybe even a stop in at Grandma, Margaret, and Mary's apartment as it was referred to then.
The point is we didn't use a car much back then, as many families we grew up with didn't even own one. Between the buses and subways there didn't seem to be a need as they would take you anywhere in the city and beyond quickly and cheaply.
So then, the one year I recall going, was a special and unusual event for us. What an event it was too! Snoopy and Underdog twenty feet tall floating above us, as all the famous Macy's Parade balloons did. Singers and floats with singers and celebrities on them (maybe Donnie and Marie, or David Cassidy)continued by almost endlessly (possibly even someone like John Wayne or Neil Armstrong also). Marching bands galore and at the end of it all Santa Claus waving to all the kiddies packed along the route. Which for me seemed a bit puzzling, since we had just left him back in Parkchester at his Oval headquarters set up each year to make sure none of us really good kids from Parkchester would miss out on the toys we surely deserved.
This, the one and only year I do remember going had it all, and a bunch of snow to go with it. So, as we departed the station wagon, and I believe it was me, Andrea, my older sister by about a year or two, and cousins Jane and Julia, and Matthew, we were pulled along the avenue on our Flexible Flyer sleds, to find our spot along the parade route. A spot I might add that was surely reserved for us, being the best of the best of the kids from Parkchester.
The year we went was quite a bit before Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant became a tradition for me, and long before any dog shows had become another thanksgiving tradition to be observed by dog lovers everywhere. Now, years later my children are enjoying Thanksgiving with us and their cousins, and friends, and carving out their own memories and traditions. Just when you think things have changed so much you find that some things never change. Enjoying a Thanksgiving meal with family and or friends is one of those things I have learned to cherish despite the toll it may take on our older bodies and minds. And be thankful for all you have and not bitter about what you do not have, it is easy to look and see people who have it way worse than we do.
Off to the pie table again, just for a look see mind you. Can't go wrong with another slice of pumpkin I guess.

© 2016 Robert Filos


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
L J
Very well written. You must have attended some courses. I enjoyed the picture you painted of growing up in New York, the next generation enjoying a similar experience, and the message at the end. Be content with what you DO have, and don't suffer with what you don't.
Well done :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Robert Filos

7 Years Ago

Thank you. No. I've never taken any courses in writing, in fact I have my GED and some theology cour.. read more
Robert Filos

7 Years Ago

Thank you. No. I've never taken any courses in writing, in fact I have my GED and some theology cour.. read more
L J

7 Years Ago

my pleasure, i hope you find peace

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 25, 2016
Last Updated on May 25, 2016
Tags: New York City, The Bronx, 1970s, Thanksgiving

Author

Robert Filos
Robert Filos

Nationwide



About
I write what I call Folkwritings. These can be in many forms but generally are writings by and for folks. Some of the headinds I write under are Folkwritings from the Future, Writings for the Revoluti.. more..

Writing