Red eyes

Red eyes

A Story by Kevin
"

A strange encounter on the way home.

"

    My car sat in the parking spot shining in the glow of the street lights. In reality it was a dull blue with, dings, dents, and scratches. The paint faded and peeling. The doors squeaked, and rust fell to the ground, as I pulled the door open. But it was still my baby, and first car.

My friend Rich made a snide comment, about my rust bucket, and I slugged him in the arm, as we were getting in. we were headed to get late night fast food. A tradition that developed in our teenage years.

     None of the fast food joints were near home, so we had a bit of a drive. We threw in a CD, and blasted music, as I drove recklessly. I wasn't driving this way just for the sake of it. After a few trips, we had made a game. The point of it was; to beat our old time. I pushed my car to it's limits. It shuddered, and groaned, as I forced it around corners, and felt part of my tires peel. As we came into town I slowed the car. Cops were always patrolling this area. Reaching our favorite restaurant, I checked my watch. We beat our time by three minutes and ten seconds.

     I decided to have a big greasy cheeseburger, and Rich got a chicken sandwich. Both the meals included fries. We ate in the car, tossing the wrappers in the back seat. After we were done, we pulled back onto the road. At the stop light we decided to take a different route home.

    This road was busier than, the one we came in on, so I drove more carefully. A few miles down the road the speed limit increased to 55, and I tapped to the accelerator, urging my car up to speed. I glanced down at the speedometer to make sure I wasn't speeding. As I brought my eyes back to the road, Rich screamed “Stop!” and I saw a man standing in the road. I floored the brakes, and the car came to a skidding stop.

    Looking around the man was no where in sight. Rich and I exchanged puzzled looks, then got out of the car, and searched. After a few fruitless minutes of searching we gave up, and got back in the car.

    “Did you get a good look at him?” Rich asked.

    “Yeah he was creepy looking.”

    This man had red glowing eyes, with an angular face. His gray hair hung loosely at his shoulders, and his bread a tangled mess. He wore a trench coat that came to his knees, and had on black boots.

    “Let's get going.” Rich said

    I agreed, so I put the car in gear, and took off. I was extra vigilant the rest of the way home, not wanting another situation. We made it with no further issues.

    Parking the car I let out a sigh of relief, it had never felt so go to be home. We got out of the car, and I locked it up. Walking back to the house I felt like someone was watching me. I turned to look.

    My eyes locked with a glowing red, and the man was standing there. His lips twisted in a awful smile. Jagged teeth on display. His hands were curled into fists, held taunt at his side. I turned and ran faster than I ever had. I blew past Rich nearly knocking him over. I raced up my steps into the house, slamming the door, and engaging the lock. Rich had a key so he let himself in seconds later.

    “What the hell was that about?” he screamed at me.

    “The guy from when we were driving.” I spat out gasping for breath.

    He looked at me like I had lost my mind, and said “I'm going to bed, I think you should too.”

well I couldn't sleep that night or a few nights to follow. Finally I was able to sleep again, and almost forgot about red eyes. To this day he still hasn't made an appearance. I am beginning to think I was a little crazy. But I will still be on the look out for him.

© 2010 Kevin


Author's Note

Kevin
was bored so spun a tale.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Crikey, I'd never sleep again if something like that ever happened to me. Glad I read it in the middle of the day Kevin :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
1 Review
Added on June 11, 2010
Last Updated on June 11, 2010

Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin