EXPERIMENT

EXPERIMENT

A Story by Marie
"

Some experiments are just too dangerous...

"

 

      “Dr. Braun, you’d better come quickly. It’s the Slion.” Braun followed his partner, Bob, into the lab, wondering what had gone wrong. Crossing a lion with a snake was one of his pet projects. It hadn’t been easy, since a lion bears young and a snake lays eggs. But after many unsuccessful tries at using in-vitro fertilization, he had finally hatched an object somewhere between a reptile and an animal. “I’ve been anxious about its progress,” he said.

 

     “This thing seems to have matured overnight,” Bob said. “Look.” He opened the laboratory door. Dr. Braun saw a long, furry, legless creature with a mouthful of fangs. It let out a roar, which devolved into a hiss, lunged forward, bit off his head. Then it slithered after Bob.

 

     Bob ran to the Rhino-dile’s cage, where something single-horned and scaly was taking a nap by the pool. “Wake up! The Slion is after me! You’re the only one who can destroy it. Behind him he heard a ROAR-hissss, ROAR-hissss. The Rhino-dile waddled forward, horn down, gored the Slion,  opened a snout filled with sharp rows of teeth and snapped it in two. Then it wandered back to the pool and continued napping.

 

     Bob sighed. So much for that. He wondered about crossing a bat with a panther. Banther? Pat? No, he decided. No more animals. I’m going to find Braun’s notebook and look up the instructions for building a human being out of dead body parts. That should be interesting.

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's great, the end was very amusing and I liked how it was almost like a casual comment. Some experiments certainly are a bit too dangerous.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Fantastic, you have soared like an Eagle in the Magical Realism of the Story. I enjoyed it much. Was able to laugh out loud.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

I am glad you liked this story and that you saw the humour in it.
You definitely are a Sci-Fi/Horror buff from the good ole days, and I do mean the good ole days ... A delightfully pleasant read, and a good laugh over morning coffee ... This piece demonstrates the undeterred spirit of man; a spirit obsessively hell bent on improving nature's perfection/imperfections as deemed so by man's grandiosity of truly believing that he can better the best that nature, via the conduit of any Creative origin or arrival, has offer to the world in playing the very part of the God he, himself, denies exists ...

Ironically, in this story, these two highly intellectual fellows have clearly stumbled onto a man-made creation of great import in that their experimental development of the Rhino-dile resulted in a highly intelligent hybrid that, not only hears and understands but, obeys voice command prompts from humans (Bob), to rise and protect one of its masters. So, we see a perfect opportunity for millions to be made in marketing this new breed of "guard-dog" type creature, but mankind always ignores & overlooks the obvious in always seeking the deeper, more intricately, complicated things that bring his grandiose genius into a far better light--such as creating a man from dead body parts ...

I loved this little story ... I also like your webpage ...



Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. I wrote this for some sort of contest; I've forgotten what it was now, but I didn't wi.. read more
Gee, amusing combinations, Marie. when I was a little boy, I remember I used to draw crossed animals like these ones.
I like the ending too. haha looks like a whole new can of worms is about to be opened.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

THanks. You could be right.
Hah - great fun Marie and great story-telling. Short enough to hold this goldfish brains attention span and funny enough to keep my laughing - perfect (for my taste).
Thanks for sharing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

I thought it was perfect for W/C. People don't like to read long stories on here; I keep mine under .. read more
Yes, that would be interesting. Where's Igor when you need him? In sentence four, don't you mean reptile and mammal instead of "reptile and animal."? Just wondering.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

I hadn't thought of that. You could be right; it's very close.
Shouldn't Bob's name be "Victor?"
Looks like poor Dr. Braun is about to make a comeback--cadaverous though it may be.
Another skillfully crafted, well told, thoroughly entertaining story, Marie.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks. THis was written for a challenge that I don't even remember any more.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 23, 2015
Last Updated on February 2, 2015
Tags: slion, bat, experiment, cage

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Tongue The Tongue

A Story by Confuser


Angst Angst

A Story by Philip Muls