PRISON

PRISON

A Story by Marie
"

A piece of nonesense...

"

     The jangle of the keys gives him away. He moves silently, but their ringing tells me he’s coming. As always, he brings me lunch. Or breakfast or supper. It doesn’t matter. I only get one meal a day, two slices of stale bread and a cup of water. Barely looking at me, he slides them through the bars far enough that my chained hands can reach them. As always, I ask “When are you going to let me out of here?” As always, he doesn’t answer, but leaves without a backward glance.

 

     I’m never hungry now, but I eat, because it’s something to do. Uselessly, I speculate: Why was I captured and brought here? Will I ever be free? Why am I imprisoned by a jailor who doesn’t even know me? Eventually, because it’s something to do, I fall asleep.

 

     I wake to fog, and then the fog parts, and it’s as if I’m waking again. This time I know the truth. I built this prison myself, forged the bars, snapped the manacles on my wrists and ankles. The first moment I looked at you, I was captured, bound. Seeing your uncaring face daily is my only food. “I love you,” I say, stretching my hands out as far as they will go. “Oh, how I love you…”

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting concept lived out by far too many in bad relationships ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


The first time I read this I was a little confused, not because it's bad in anyway, but reading it again I think it's about a woman trapped in a loveless marriage, but she is too scared to change it, and her husband is a control freak who keeps her isolated in the house, while all she desires from him, is for the man she married to love her back. Very deep and very good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Actually this is about a woman who has imprisioned herself inside a hopeless love. Although your int.. read more
The heroine in the story is in everyone of us. All of us are imprisoned in our own private prisons and our minds are chained.
The author brings out the feelings nicely and states the universal truth, that we all face.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

I hadn't thought of it quite like that, but thanks' for your opinion.
Border

8 Years Ago

That is the beauty of writing. Unlike a movie, where you have to swallow the interpretation of the d.. read more
Marie,

I read it many times over, before i grasped the allegory. A gripping story narrated in a short and sweet manner..... and i could sense the hurt of loving something 'uncaring'. Very beautifully presented. It was a pleasure to read your story.......

Nimmi

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
Returning the favor of a review, again with many thanks. "but their ringing tells me he’s coming" -- "ringing" to me isn't really descriptive of what the keys actually do; because of my profession, I spent a fair amount of time in jails and it seems to me that the guards' keys made more of a syncopated rattling sound. As always, you've delivered a good thing in a small package. You call it a "piece of nonsense." I disagree -- it's an enigmatic piece subject to some interesting interpretation -- never to be nailed down!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you. You're right; keys don't ring. I can fix this.
Once again Marie, excellent. You are very good at this craft.

I can only pick a few recommendations, please feel free to disagree. Perhaps 'The jangle of keys' rather than 'The jangle of the keys'?

Maybe 'Seeing your uncaring face daily is my only food' could be 'Seeing your face daily is my only food. Even if it's uncaring.' I realised she loves him still despite being self imprisoned and treated badly.

Thought provoking, this piece will stay with me, as all your work does. It's truly a privilege to read your work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, William; for reading and for your suggestions.
It is an exotic and truly creatove work

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
i don't see this as nonsense...i see it as how we often imprison ourselves by locking away our heart...and we stay imprisoned for so long, we forget why we did it in the first place...and we don't remember anymore who we were when we knew how to love.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

You know, I kind of based this on a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay.
well marie ,this is a creative write

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thanks Wordman.
 wordman

8 Years Ago

hope you got out, your welcome
wonderful nonsense, Marie. love it. been away for some time and missed your writes.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thanks, Woody.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

552 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2015
Last Updated on June 26, 2015
Tags: breat, water, bars, jailor

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


This I Believe This I Believe

A Story by Cali