Ghosttrain

Ghosttrain

A Story by Heather Clayton

"Ugh! I can't believe we're here." Said Sasha.

 

"I know." Said Mike.

 

Sasha peered down the broken railway.

 

"So how long has this been out of work." She asked.

 

Mike looked at the ground and kicked a pebble off the old iron-rusted rail.

 

"I'd say it stopped in the 1900's some time."

 

"Really, that old."

 

Sasha shrugged her shoulders.

 

"Yes."

 

Mike smiled at her grabbing her her hard then pushed her onto the ground with her head placed over the railing-he began kissing her.

 

After moments kissing then Sasha told Mike to stop.

 

"Stop!" She shouted.

 

"WHat is it? Like we haven't done this before."

 

"But I think I hear something.

 

She tilted her head and felt a vibration on the rail.

 

"I thought you said this was out of commision." She said angrily.

 

Just then she saw lights stop to the left of her and Mike was looking at the huge train before him.

 

His hand was trying to block the massive light that was before him.

 

All he could make out was that the train was old and black, with jagged-edges and a huge smoke stack coming out.

 

"What the hell," Said mike. "Nothing has been on these train tracks since the 1900's."

 

Sasha got up and dusted off her pants.

 

"Well, why do you suppose it stopped?" SHe said.

 

"I dunno, but let's see who's on this sucker." Said Mike.

 

Mike carefully went to the side and crawled into the window of the front of the train.

 

After a while, Sasha realized he didn't come back.

 

She looked at the wheels and could have sworn they were saying her name-whispers softly like a child.

 

Just then the cargo door opened up, she ignored Mike and went to investigate.

 

It was empty but opened so she got up and jumped on the train-the train began moving fast at a pace that made her sick. She held onto dear life to the floor.

 

Suddenly, it stopped.

 

She could smell an acrid, putrid smell of burning flesh. She jumped out of the cargo and ran to the front-the light was dark, all she could see was darkness around her.

 

She reached her hand to touch the train and found the window Mike went into, as she did the cargo door closed loudly.

 

Thud!

 

"Okay," Sasha said to herself. "We're not in Kansas anymore."

 

She felt something slimy on the window and she almost puked from the smell, then she peered inside and saw Mike's head being held by a grotesque demon conductor with horns coming out of his head, and then he turned and rang a bell. When it did she saw Mike stuffed into the coal-fire furnace.

 

She screamed no, but it was too late, the conductor slamed the black iron door on Mike and all she saw was fire melt Mike-his hair, eyes, peeling away from his skin.

 

The demon conductor laughed.

 

She let go of the train and started running down the railway in the dark.

 

Just then, the light would blink off and on making it hard for her to see.

 

She finally, jumped off the tracks and let the train pass her-as it did she saw people hanging from the ceiling in the cargo-their bodies mutilated.

 

She held her hand to her mouth, full of disgust.

 

Finally, she saw a car full of people with 1900's clothes on their faces white and with pitch black eyes.

 

"This can't be happening." She said.

 

They all turned to look at her, their jaws shaking as if wanting to eat her alive.

 

She ran to the back of the train.

 

A midget demon was waiting and the caboose exploded into a million pieces.

 

She fell to the ground.

 

She lifted her head up and felt vibration on the railway.

 

Was all of this a dream?

 

No, she thought.

 

She remebered then, back in grade school an old story of this little girl that got killed by the train on the tracks in the 1900's.

 

"Sarabeth!" She shouted.

 

Then the vibrations stopped.

 

She heard a little girl whisper in the wind.

 

"They knew I was here." Sarabeth said.

 

Then Sasha smiled, knowing what to do.

 

She reached her hand into her pocket and pulled a penny the year exactly the time that Sarabeth was killed . Sarabeth was an orphan going to a new home. But when she got off and walked on the railing, the conductor began moving the train, killing her instantly.

 

Sasha placed the penny onto the railing, sparks flew around her.

 

Then the breaking of dawn.

 

Sarabeth walked up to her in white linens.

 

She smiled.

 

"Thank you." She said.

 

Sasha smiled back and began to cry.

 

 

© 2013 Heather Clayton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on January 6, 2013
Last Updated on January 6, 2013
Tags: train, conductor, demon, ghost

Author

Heather Clayton
Heather Clayton

Spring, TX



About
Hello, I love writing and have quite an imagination. Usually my writings are short stories and also I do some poetry. I'm 35 and I love animals, music and writing/reading. I studied creative writing a.. more..

Writing