Spears and Slungs

Spears and Slungs

A Story by Heather Clayton

There was a war in 2020 that left most of the lands unlivable, useless. Almost all was destroyed in the battle that many called Armeggedon. But war like these were not over yet. Fifty years later the Golganites from the icy mountain land of what was Russia, came to the land of Israel and destroyed villages and homes. An awakening had begun.

 

 

Let's look back. David was a shy, red-headed boy that had lost his parents in the Armeggedon. After that, he vowed he would never let anything happen to him again. 

 

 

With his green-gold eyes David woke up to light from his little hut. He could see a fly buzzing around on his muscular bicep; not wanting to wake, David let one eye open and peered into the small beige colored wall cracked room. The room itself was bare except for a bed on the floor. 

 

 

He rolled over to one side and let out a sigh. It was time to go again and find more work to do at the local shops in Jerusalem. He worked on whips- flying, gyrating devices used to get around in. There were no vehicles, no airplanes, not after the war.

 

 

"What time is it?" David said to himself. 

 

 

He got out of bed and fixed his ratty beige t-shirt and smoothed down his dirty, dusty khaki cargo pants. He ran his hand through his clean shaven hair and took out a bottle of oil and placed it on his palms, to smell good, a sense of myrrh.

 

 

He walked outside and the sun was beating down on him, the heat was like being stuck in an oven. It was the desert after all, where he lived, outside Jerusalem in the desert.

 

 

His old, vintage beige boots could take him to his destination, but he wasn't leaving without his whip. He flipped up his circular whip and then it began gyrating. He pressed his hand on a circular medallion hung around his neck and then he jumped onto the whip as it lowered itself to the ground. So silent, yet moving with astronomical precision, he moved his fingers to sign several zodiac signs and then the whip began to move in several directions at his command.

 

 

As he rose off into the sunrise into Jerusalem to the shops, he stopped to pick up some morning breakfast from a vendor. Some passionfruit and some milk with bread. 

 

 

He rode off once again to Samuel's shop, yet Samuel was not there yet, probably making early morning rounds getting parts for whips, gyration gadgets, belts, medallions that were broke, etc. 

 

 

As he looked around the shop he saw things that needed to be done, a belt fixed here or a RU (reticulated universal) to be manipulated into properly working again with the cosmos. His fixing rate was one-hundred percent effeciency.

 

 

Then Samuel walked in from the back of the small store and was holding a lot of junk, or stuff he found that could be used for or on whips. He was a master at art and making whips look like whatever you wanted. 

 

 

Samuel whipped his gray hair out of his face and peered at David with his steel gray eyes. 

 

 

"I went and did my rounds this morning," Sam said."I got a chair to attach to a whip for that fellow that lives near here, the one with one leg missing. He's been wanting me to do a custom job on his whip and I said, hell, I'll do it for free."

 

 

"Really, that's nice of you." David said, holding up a belt turner and seeing if it had any splits in it. 

 

 

"Yes, I figure it's my way of paying back to those veterans of the war and their families, Poor boy, named Isaiah, he lost his leg in the super war. He's a good fellow and do you know, he lost his brother in the war too."

 

 

"That's a shame, I can relate, losing both parents during an air raid." David put down the belt and cracked his wrists.

 

 

"Yes, your parents were good folks too, you know how me & your dad were best freinds and all..." Samuel stopped in place, head bent low as if saying prayer or mumbling to himself.

 

 

"Do you need help with the attaching the chair to the whip?" David asked.

 

 

"Sure, just load her on top and weld it done is all that it needs. I already took off the rubberized mat from the whip."

 

 

"Okay." David said. He walked over and put on a welding mask and began affixing and torching the chair to the whip.

 

 

A few hours later after much burning, cooling, scrubbing, David was done with the special request whip.

 

 

After David was through he went to get something to eat. He rode his whip to get some pita and hummus from a local shop, drinking it down with some more passionfruit drink. 

 

 

Just as he was about to bite into the pita, a loud siren went off and all these men wearing black face masks and black leather outfits strormed into the eatery. 

 

 

The Golganites, thought David. 

 

 

He threw his pita down and scrambled for the front door, jumping quickly and making swift movements to Sam's shop, but he was too late. The place was turned inside out. All the shelves holding parts were thrown to the ground and Samuel was in a corner holding up the whip David had just worked on. It was ripped into two. Nothing salvageable or usable. 

 

 

"The Golganites came here and ruined my shop,"Said Samuel, with a look of pity upon his face. 

 

 

David walked over to Samuel, "It's okay Sam, I can help you make another one and clean up the shop for you."

 

 

"Thank you son, I don't know what I would have done without you."

 

 

David cleaned up the shop, restoring the shelves upright and putting parts back where they belonged.

 

 

It was almost sunset when David was done and he told Sam goodnight and that he would see him tomorrow.

 

 

Why must the Golganites do this? What were they looking for? was all David could think about. 

 

 

On the ride home he silently strode the streets of Jerusalem and saw all the destruction that the Golganites has caused. Children with their mothers beside them, crying their lament of the ruin that came before them. Vendors stands were rummaged through, a passionfruit lay trampled on the ground. 

 

 

David knew his home would not be much better off. This is the last time the Golganites do this, David thought. 

 

 

As he appraoched his house he saw that it was also rummaged through, the bed overthrown and sheets torn up. David lay his hand on his medallion, Of course, they were trying to find my medallion. They must have tried seizing many thousands of people's medallions or ruined their whips, all because they tried to ruin the one mode of transport Israel did have. 

 

 

Never again, never this new kind of war going on between gangs of the Golganites and Israel. The Golganites weren't even invited to Israel, but simply marched their way into the land from what used to be Russia before they took over. The Golganites use airlift shoes to fight battles and backpacks and are prone to use metal spears. They come from a long line of disgruntled miners and cold mountianeers. Codee is their leader, a mean redheaded guy with blue eyes.

 

 

David grunts to himself at the thought of them taking his medallion or whip, I'd like to see them try...

 

 

Several days passed and David restored the shop back to its original fashion, without a few items that went went missing, or were otherwise stolen in the raid.

 

 

David thought back and remeber seeing someone with long brown, curly hair behind a mask and he was sure it was a woman. Now they have women doing their dirty work, thought David. 

 

 

Just then, a beautiful woman passed to his right on her golden-looking whip, while his was only silver in color or stainless steel. 

 

 

"Excuse me,"she said tossing her long black hair in the wind as her whip swayed from side to side. David took one look into her almond-shaped jet black eyes. 

 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry ma'am," David said, letting her go past him on his whip. 

 

 

"Thank you," she said."Today has been so horrendous, I mean, after the Golganites came and destroyed everything..."

 

 

"Yes, ma'am" David said looking at her lean, tanned physique in her burgundy leather pants and chiffon top.

 

 

"I was wondering, can you tell me the direction to Jerusalem?" She asked in a loud accent that he just realized.

 

 

"Yes, it's that way ma'am. He said pointing to the east from where he lived.

 

 

"Thank you, I would be so totally, utterly lost without you." She gave David a wink then rode off on her whip.

 

 

David went back to his room and fell asleep. When he woke up he heard a cat meowing. He went outside to check and there was an Ocelot cat on a whip whith a message around it throat as well as a medallion. Someone had sent him a message?

 

 

He grabbed the cat off the whip and pet its gray fur and it begand to purr. He put the cat back on the whip and it rode off. He opened the message.

 

 

Dear Sir,

 

 

You helped me greatly and I would like to pay my respects by making you dinner.

 

 

Sincerely,

 

 

Sheba

 

 

So Sheba is her name, thought David. 

 

 

He dressed up in his finest linen shirt and got on his whip, not without a little plant to bring Sheba.

 

 

When he arrived at the destination, he recognized an old woman who was a street vendor that sold him breeakfast every morning. 

 

 

He walked up to the bent-over old lady and asked."May I speak to Sheba?"

 

 

"And what is your name, boy." She eyed him with a weather-beaten face.

 

 

"David."

 

 

"Okay, hold on a minute while I get Sheba for you."

 

 

Then she went inside a small apartment building and out came Sheba, looking as baeutiful as the day he had seen her.

 

 

"Please...come inside David, so nice to know your name." Said Sheba.

 

 

He sat down at a little wooden dinner table and there was a small feast of lamb, rice and vegetables as well as fresh, hot bread and of course his favorite, passionfruit drink.

 

 

"Please...let's eat." Said Sheba sitting down at the table. 

 

 

As the night wore on they spoke of many things, their childhoods, how Sheba was Egyptian and had come to seek refuge with her mother after the war, how her father had gone missing after the war.

 

 

"That must bother you, not knowing where your father is..." David said.

 

 

"Yes, it does, but I just pray to the Gods and Goddesses that he is okay."

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

"What about you?" Sheba asked."What about your parents?"

 

 

"My parents died in the war."

 

 

"Oh, I'm so sorry. That's terrible."

 

 

"Yes, that is what war does. It makes you lose loved ones."

 

 

"That's why I don't understand why the Golganites have came to Jerusalem and destroyed what we have. They Should know that war is over and yet, here they are starting these small wars within Israel now."

 

 

"I agree, I know on thing, I won't tolerate it any longer."

 

 

They both sat in silence.

 

 

"Well, I need to be going; it's getting late and I have a lot of work to do in Samuel's shop tomorrow." Said David.

 

 

"Yes, well I thank you for coming to dinner."

 

 

She leaned over to him at the front door and gave him a little kiss on the cheek. He blushed.

 

 

On the way home, David was giddy with feelings of love towards Sheba and he was ecstatic that she had feelings for him as well. But the butterflies in his stomach disappered when he saw, once again his home had been went through, this time the bed mattress ripped to pieces.

 

 

They want my medallion and whip, he thought, they will have to fight me for it. 

 

 

When David went into the city he saw Sheba with her wrist tied and a red-haired Golganite leading her around, her whip was missing too as was her medallion. David thought, could she have hidden them from the Golganites? I must help free her so they do not take her away.

 

 

David came back upon Codee and took his slung of rocks out and hit Codee in the legs, but Codee just turned on his jet backpack and airlift shoes and soon the two began fighting.

 

 

"No," screamed Sheba. "Please let them take me away."

 

 

"Never!" David said.

 

 

And then Codee flung some rocks at the whip causing David to go unsteady. Again, they went flying toward each other, Codee with a metal spear in hand. Just as Codee was about to strike David, David jumped off his whip and used it as a sheild, swinging his slung at Codee's legs, making Codee fall to the ground, but to gain traction on the ground to keep from falling, spikes came out of the bottom of the airlift shoes and Codee and David wrestled each other in the dusty ground. 

 

 

They kept fighting for a while when Sheba finally shouted,"They have my father David! The Golganites had taken him after the war. They have my father!" Tears were streaming down her face and the two men stopped fighting.

 

 

"Okay, now that you two have stopped fighting, I have spoken with Codee and let me go see my father."

 

 

David stepped back from Codee, his hair dishevled. 

 

 

"What is the meaning of all this nonsense!" Said a woman beside Codee, she was beautiful to daid, even more beautiful than Sheba, but she was a Golganite. It was the woman he had seen.

 

 

"This is my prisinor." Said Codee."By decree of the Golganites."

 

 

"Yes, but she is also a woman who you two seem to be fighting over." Codee looked at Sheba.

 

 

Samuel appeared out of nowhere and shouted, "Stop! Men. Stop!"

 

 

Codee and David backed away from each other further. 

 

 

"There is something I must tell you both, it is really important and you must beleive me Codee when I tell you this, but you two are brothers."

 

 

"What!" Both men shouted.

 

 

"Yes, it's true, Codee, the Golganites stole you and raised you as their own. See how manipulative they are. Until I saw your face Codee without the face mask I knew it was you. I had seen both of you boys as babys together with your mother, Ariel."

 

 

Codee began to cry and David tried not to stare. 

 

 

"And you, you are not Golganite. You come from the land of Ire." He pointed to the beautiful Golganite lady. She took off her face mask and all you saw were pretty brown eyes, eyes that drew David in.

 

 

"Well, I know I have a lost childhood, but..."

 

 

"But they are pitting brother against brother and those from the peaceful land of Ire, they are treating you like their own personal slaves, to do their dirty work." David had said.

 

 

Ire was an island close to the United Kingdom that was taken over by the Golganites as well, a long time ago. 

 

 

"Here," Codee said to Sheba."You can untie yourself with this knife. Please, whatever you do, don't tell them the wherabouts of your whip and medallion, for they will take it and use it against you in a war they want to wage on Israel."

 

 

"Well," said Samuel."They will not be waging a war on Jerusalem. We need to hurry and prepare for battle with them and their spears."

 

 

"Yes," said David."Brother you fight as well as me, will you serve along side me in this battle against the Golganites?"

 

 

"Yes." Codee said.

 

 

"You count me in too." said the lady of Ire.

 

 

"What is your name, Lady of Ire?" asked David. 

 

 

While batting her long, lush lashes, she exclaimed, "My name is Baat."

 

 

"Well, Baat, we certainly need your help." David said.

 

 

At that the five began to scour the city and find anyone willing to fight. Even Isaiah was willing to help fight the Golganites. Everyone played a part or role and each member of the fight was to get a whip and a slung, or even two slungs. David's slung was attached to a glove, as were the other slungs to keep them from losing them.

 

 

So they went out into the field on their whips and saw the Golganites heading their way on their jetpacks. David fought with one Golganite and managed to wrap the slung around him until the rock hit him in the face. Then Baat used her spear to do curliques and knocked out a Golganite soldier. Isaiah took egg-shaped rocks out of his slung and began hurling them towards the Golganites, hitting one's face mask off. Codee went behind a Golganite and punctured his jetpack, rendering him useless. Finally, David was swinging two slungs while he bent his knees on his whp going in circles, but the Golganite stuck the spear in the ground and was also going into circles, holding onto the spear with his hands and letting his shoes with spikes on the bottom, go round and round. David quickly manuvered the whip 360 degrees and managed to knock the Golganite off the spear.

 

 

After much fighting, it was finally said,"We surrender!!" from the Golganites.

 

 

Victory at last. Everyone that night in Jerusalem had a giant city party, a party of freedom and Sheba kissed Codee and Baat kissed David. Everyone sang a victory song and Samuel drank the rest of his drink-"That'll show em."

© 2012 Heather Clayton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 22, 2012
Tags: Jerusalem, war, fighting, cat, weapons, love

Author

Heather Clayton
Heather Clayton

Spring, TX



About
Hello, I love writing and have quite an imagination. Usually my writings are short stories and also I do some poetry. I'm 35 and I love animals, music and writing/reading. I studied creative writing a.. more..

Writing