Together Again

Together Again

A Story by Heather Clayton

I walked through the streets to see what I could find one day. I had a nagging feeling I should be searching for something, but what, I did not know.

The streets were littered with debris and snow. I kicked things out of my way, making a path for me to walk. There had been a celebration, New Years 2012.

I was bundled up in a long black wool peacoat on this day, Januaury 1st. 

I had been searching all night long to find this person in my dreams, I can vaugly remember him, a man of 38 and tall, bony, but he had a head full of dark brown hair, shaggy no doubt from the wind in my dreams. 

I'd often seen him in my dreams on the edge of a cliff, just about to jump and then the wind would carry him away, off into the sea.

But this was New York. There were no cliffs, only scyscrapers and bridges.

On a hunch, I went over to a bridge that night. Snow was making crackling noises with my foot steps, my Kenneth Cole boots could hardly keep the leather on in this wetness.

Nobody was at the bridge for a while, then I saw a dark figure leaning over the edge of the railing.

I saw then, that it was the man with shaggy hair.

I was close enough to him to see that he was sipping coffee from a thermos. Was he a street walker? Did he have a home?

I called out to him, "Hey, you, I think I know you."

He turned my direction and said, "Come closer."

So I walked up to him and saw his angelic face in the dark moonlight. I saw his jagged features and soft lips and perfect skin.

"Hello," I said.

"Hello back," he responded.

"I know this might seem crazy, but I have dreams about you."

"Okay," he answered."Not the first time I heard a pick-up line, but okay."

He laughed a little and smiled, his teeth showing sharp and nice and white.

"No...I mean," I said hesitantly."I really do have dreams about you."

"Really, well miss..." He said.

"My name is Isabella."

"Well, very pretty name Isabella. But what kind of dreams do you have of me."

"You are on a cliff and you jump."

He became very quiet and looked at the bay in front of him.

He pursed his lips and said, "How do you know it's me?"

"Your looks, your face...I'm sure it's you."

Just then a wind caught us and he almost feel forward over the railing, spiling his coffee onto the ground.

"Well, to tell you the truth Isabella, I hear voices a lot and the voices told me to come here, to wait, and the voice said, my name is Isabella."

Just then my heart began to thump and I felt a rush of adrenaline running through my veins.

"Do you..." I said."Think we are soulmates?"

He was long and silent for a while.

"Yes, I do" he answered.

"Then why do I have dreams about you?"

"Why do I hear you, even in my sleep?"

We both stood in the bitter cold, looking into each other's eyes, his round and sparkling deep blue, as dark as the water at night.

Just then I had a vision. I looked down and saw a scar that I had gotten from one of my dreams, a violent one to where I tried to grab him before he fell and then he scraped my arm. I saw in this vision, even further, us an a spaceship of sorts, together and making love.

"I can see we know each other." I said.

"Hold on...I just heard your voice again, we are lovers from a time we cannot remember."

I scratched my head in worry of what that could mean. Had we both lost our minds.

Just then a rounded spaceship came hurtling from the sky and landed into the water in front of us. It was huge, but unseen at this time of night. It sat floating in the water as if it were spying or waiting on us to enter.

Then the door sprang open. 

"Why not?" He said, then he jumped over the railing and I tried to grab him, to tell him no, but it was too late. He entered the spaceship and it closed up on him, taking off into the deep blue night sky, leaving me standing there alone in an instant. 

As I looked up all I could see were stars blinking back at me, as if they were trying to give me a clue as to what was going on. Then I remembered.

Us making love then getting inside a machine in the spaceship.

We were time travelers.

It dawned on me that something was going to happen, but not knowing what it was.

Then I saw them, I saw them in the sky from a distance. Missles were headed toward New York. The wold war was about to begin and he left me stranded, in the cold with nothing.

I cried as the missles fell toward the ground and as the heat came barreling through, I jumped into the water quickly.

I sank instead of swimming. I could hear my heart beating. 

I woke up in a room on the spaceship. I was wet and on the floor, he was right above me, holding my hands, kissing me.

"We are together again."

"Yes, but I think we were supposed to stop whatever was going to happen, to keep from it happening again."

And I knew then, one of must go. One of must go back and so he did.

That is what I tell my son, every time he asks about his father and the world.

Now it's just me and him and the stars in the sky and if I go back, I can't do it again. I lost the love of my life, the world, but I had a son.

I hugged my son before he went to bed and he said, "Mommy, will I ever grow up to be like you someday."

"Yes son," I said, "yes."

I looked out the window and saw Earth from a distance. He had made it, I thought, but sacrificed his life. He was the one that fell into the bay and I let go, I let go of him and the world. 

© 2012 Heather Clayton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on May 22, 2012
Tags: love, lovers, space, New York

Author

Heather Clayton
Heather Clayton

Spring, TX



About
Hello, I love writing and have quite an imagination. Usually my writings are short stories and also I do some poetry. I'm 35 and I love animals, music and writing/reading. I studied creative writing a.. more..

Writing