PART 5 THE INVISIBLE FORCES OF EVIL

PART 5 THE INVISIBLE FORCES OF EVIL

A Chapter by rondo
"

How does the devil prevent Christians from obtaining spiritual blessings?

"

PART 5 THE INVISIBLE FORCES OF EVIL

CHAPTER 12

How Does the Devil Prevent Christians from Obtaining Spiritual Blessings?

The devil wants to inhibit Christians from obtaining the spiritual blessings that God has made available for them to partake of.

     A summary of these blessings are:

�-� To be transformed in heart so that their outward expression will resemble the Lord Jesus.

�-� To grow (to continue to make progress daily) in grace (in being yielded to the ministry of the Holy Spirit, through whom will be produced his spiritual qualities within so that they can be manifest without to others especially while in the midst of trials and sufferings) and in knowledge (possessing the correct views of Christ in all aspects).

�-� To appropriate truth as an influencing power.

�-� To operate in spiritual power that instructs, reforms, elevates, and tranquilizes the soul.

�-� To identify with Christ in suffering for righteousness sake.

�-� To be inwardly conformed to the likeness of Christ (to his spirit, temper, meekness, submissiveness, unselfish love, devotion, etc.)

�-� To be daily set apart from sin, dying unto self and to the world, so that he/she may be a blessing to others.

     So, how is the devil able to inhibit Christians from partaking in these spiritual blessings? That’s a good question. As we shall see the devil has many different kinds of weapons at his disposal. The first one that we will look at has the objective of totally destroying the believer.

What do you think this weapon is called?

 

BY PERSECUTION

The first weapon that we will look at that the devil has at his disposal is persecution. This is identified as such in the book of 1 Peter.

Your adversary the devil:

1 Peter 5:8

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:                       

Peter is instructing believers about a foe who is incessantly out to destroy them. He is called their adversary (of an opponent in a lawsuit), the devil (one who brings a false charge against another with hostility), who is depicted as a roaring lion (setting out to destroy us by violent opposition, persecution, and death38). that goes to and fro on the earth seeking whom he may devour (utter destruction). This is an allusion to the horrors of the Neronian persecution in the Roman Coliseum, in which lions mauled and devoured Christians. Satan desires to do the same thing spiritually, i.e. to defeat believers’ testimonies39.

     With this in mind, what do the scriptures reveal to us as to who to look out for in this regard?

 

A.   World Leaders

I remained there with the kings of Persia:

Suggested Reading: Daniel Chapter 9 & 10:1-20

The captivity of the Jews under the Babylonians has ended by means of their conquest by Cyrus king of Persia. Two years earlier, Cyrus made a decree to allow for the restoration of the Jews to their homeland in accordance with Daniel’s prayer in chapter nine. It’s interesting to note that there was a clear admittance by Daniel not only of his own guilt, but that of all of Israel in having not obeyed God’s directives. He decided to declare his sin and the sins of the nation to the Lord.

Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. (Daniel 9:21)

     After which he asked Him to remove his fury and anger from the city Jerusalem. While he was praying a vision (an altered state of consciousness in which extrasensory audiovisual experiences, usually revelatory in character, are perceived in private by individuals, often prophets or seers. The visions (as occurring within an earthly setting or may involve apparent out-of-body experiences such as ascents to heaven or descents to the netherworld40) from the Lord came upon him whereby the angel Gabriel told him about the state of affairs of the Jews at a significant time later on in their future. However, specific information in regards to the Jews state of affairs in the near future had not yet been disclosed to him. It appears that the reason for this will be unveiled as we continue to read about this story.

     Two years have gone by, and Daniel has a heavy heart. Apparently, only a small number of Jewish exiles had actually returned to their homeland. There was also at this time a conflict in regards to the rebuilding of the temple at Jerusalem. The Samaritans (those who were both Jew and Gentile) were refused to be allowed to participate in this rebuild by the Jewish rulers.

And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves. (Daniel 10:7)

     Daniel, it appears, is still waiting for a reply to his prayer as relating to the state of affairs of his people in regards to their return to their homeland and the temple rebuild. In the hope of receiving a response from the Lord, he decides to fast while he is in mourning (sadness). After three weeks of fasting had gone by, he received a vision as he was beside a great river called Hiddekel. In this vision, he saw a certain man clothed in linen. The men that were with Daniel didn’t see any man, however, it appears that they sensed a powerful presence and fled.

Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. (Daniel 10:12)

     Daniel observed within this vision himself being in a deep sleep lying on the ground and hearing the voice of this man’s words, who touches him with his hands thus causing him to get up upon his knees with the palm of his hands touching the ground. This man proceeds to tell Daniel that he was sent to him in response to the words of his prayer which he had spoken earlier.

But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. (Daniel 10:13)

     It appears that before this man, probably an angel, was going to convey to Daniel information in regards to Israel’s state of affairs in the near future, he had to confer with the rulers of Persia in this regard. While there, he was resisted by a higher ranking evil angel, called the Prince of Persia, who was probably trying to influence this court in a manner that would be destructive to the returning Jewish exiles and their attempt to rebuild the temple. This man requested another angel’s assistance called Michael, one of the chief angels, who came to his aide.

     What we are talking about here is a spiritual battle for the minds of the ruling elite of Persia.

Who would have thought that behind the visible was a war that was being engaged by the hosts of heaven for a rendering by this court in relation to the Jews. Could it be that both of these angels appeared in human form and engaged in a dialogue with these rulers that would affect Israel’s future?

Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days. (Daniel 10:14)

     It appears that a favorable outcome came forth because this man (an angel) told Daniel in the vision that he was now going to declare to him the words that would befall his people in the latter days.

     What I wanted you to be aware of is, that what we as Christians witness as going on around us is not just happenstance. Our prayers do matter. Am I going to conclude that every time Christians are persecuted by a world leader that this is because of angelic influence? No, but am I also not going to dismiss the idea that this might be the case.

     Who else should Christians be on guard for concerning persecution?

 

B.   Unbelievers �" The Religious Crowd

Christianity is the only faith that declares there is only one way to get to heaven and that is by repenting to God the Father and believing in his Son Jesus Christ. Many faiths have different names for their gods. Some will use the name of Jesus, but will not ascribe to him the correct designation as being God, who pre-existed time, and came to earth in the form of a man, being born of a virgin, never having committed one sin, died on a cross to pay for the penalty for all of the sins that were ever committed by mankind, having forgave them (wiped away their record), rose again from the dead after three days, and ascended into heaven. Some will say that he is the Son of God, but not God. Others say that he really didn’t pay the price for the debt of sin owed by mankind. There are those that say he never rose again, because there is no proof that he did. Still there are others who will profess belief in Christ while saying there is another way to get to heaven, one example of such is by being baptized in water. The result is that some who profess to be Christians are religious unbelievers, never having received the indwelling Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, without the indwelling Spirit a person cannot experience His divine love, divine peace, divine joy etc., and subsequently will not have the assurance of eternal life.

     One example of unbelievers persecuting Christians is found in regard to the next story in the book of Acts

 

For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me:

Suggested Reading: Acts 21:17-40; Chapters 22-26

And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present.And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. (Acts 21:18, 21)

The apostle Paul finally arrived at his sought out destination, Jerusalem. While there, he met up with the apostle James along with the elders of the church. He told them about what things God had done in regard to the Gentiles. They respond by telling him that there are many Jewish Christians who are upset with him, because they believe that he advocated that they should no longer follow their customs.

     Paul’s stance concerning the Jews following their customs was two-fold.

     First, there was no observance under the Law that could procure their salvation.

     Secondly, a Christian cannot become mature by keeping the Law.

     However, he had no objection to the Jews continuing to observe their Jewish Heritage as long as they understood that the Law can’t save or sanctify them.

     As a way, to indicate to the Jewish Christians that he was not teaching as such, he was instructed to: identify himself with four men, who were under a Nazarite vow; to pay for their sacrifices; and be with them in the temple for their time of purification. Paul agreed to this plan. All seemed to be going well until certain Jews from Asia saw Paul in the temple. They proclaimed to all of the Jews present that here was the man, who was forbidding the Jews to practice their customs. This caused an uproar to take place. Paul was apprehended and beaten. Fortunately for him Roman soldiers came and intervened. They took him with them and brought him to Caesarea for trial.

     As he was being led up the stairs of the castle, he was allowed to address those Jews, who had just inflicted harm on him, in order so that he might give a defense for himself. Paul, in his defense, stated that he is a Jew, who was under the tutelage of Gamaliel. Following this, he recounted his journey to Damascus, the purpose of which was to find Christians and bring them back to Jerusalem, in order that they might be punished. After which, he talked about his conversion to Christ, and subsequent return to Jerusalem. The Jews after hearing what he had to say decided they had heard enough and restated their sentiment that he should be killed. The chief captain decided to bring him into the castle intending to inflict more punishment on him, so that he might learn what he had actually done to the Jews, which had caused them to be provoked in this manner.

     After a few years had gone by a man named Festus Porcius, succeeded Felix (60 AD) as procurator (an employee of the Roman emperor in civil affairs, especially in finance and taxes, in the management of imperial estates and properties, and in governing minor provinces.) of Judea. A few weeks after he had entered this office, the case of Paul, then remaining still a prisoner at Caesarea, was reported to him. The high priest along with others came to Caesarea before Festus to testify against him, but none of what they said could be proved. Following this, Festus asked Paul if he would go with him to Jerusalem to be judged there, but Paul refused saying that he had done nothing to deserve death, and being a roman citizen, proceeded to appeal his case to Caesar in Rome.

     On the following day, Festus heard Paul defend himself in the presence of Herod Agrippa II  (the son of Herod Agrippa I and the great grandson of Herod the Great, who was appointed by the Roman Emperor Claudius as ruler of Abilene, which is part of Galilee, along with Iturea, and Trachonitis) and his sister Bernice. Paul stated that he was a member of the Pharisees, which was the strictest religious sect of the Jews in doctrine and morality.

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. (Acts 26:20)

     He went on to say that he was commissioned by the chief priests to have Christians be placed in prison, giving consent that they should be killed. However, when Jesus made himself known to him, as he was on his way to Damascus, he believed in him as the promised Messiah/Savior, who was raised from the dead and was now sitting as the right hand of God the Father. Instead of persecuting Christians, he was now sent to unbelievers, to enlighten and instruct, to turn them not only from the darkness of paganism and sin to the light and purity of the gospel, but also from the dominion of Satan, in order that they might receive purification of the heart, and heirship among the saints. 

For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me. (Acts 26:21)

     Then Paul declared that it was because of these causes that the Jews sought to kill him. Herod after having listened to Paul didn’t find anything in his defense worthy of death or bonds and would have set him free had he not appealed his case unto Caesar. In consequence of this appeal, Paul was sent to Rome for trial.

     Think of it, here are the very Jews to whom Christ came as their Messiah and was rejected by them, but when given another chance by one of His messengers to respond favorably they rejected Him again. This is religion at its finest. Kill those who bring a message of abundant life. Religion advocates its followers to keep on worshipping God in one’s own power, by one’s own merit, hopefully desiring to eventually win His favor.

     There is one more group of people that I believe will shock you, when you find out who they are, who will also persecute believers. I bet that you will never guess who these are?

 

C.   Born Again Christians

Say it is not so. I have to admit that when I began to notice this it was quite disturbing. In the early days of the Christian church the Jewish apostles would go into the Jewish synagogues and proclaim the gospel of Christ. Eventually, the synagogue doors became closed to them. They didn’t go into the synagogue and hear the rabbi teach on the Mosaic Law and then as they walked out after the worship service was over proclaim what the rabbi had said was a good message. This is the dilemma that I found myself in when I was conducting a Sunday morning assembly where I live.

     Some of the Christians, who attended, were also attending other faiths whose messages were centered on ritual and ceremony. Their mindset was that if they stayed in said church then God would use them to proclaim the gospel to the church members in His time and in His manner. I looked at this in a totally different light. By staying in a religious church, I believe that what will eventually happen to the born-again Christian is they will become religious. The pure gospel of repentance to God the Father and belief in his Son will be changed to another gospel that involves some act of human merit.

     The apostle’s mission was to proclaim the gospel of Christ and help the newly converted to rely on the ministry of the Holy Spirit. They were not interested in religion, and neither did they decide to settle for it. There were repeated warnings in the epistles, the book of Acts, and the book of Revelation to watch out for those teachers, who focused on human philosophy, who focused on good works of the flesh, who focused on human merit, who focused on adhering to the Mosaic Law for salvation and sanctification, and who proclaimed that salvation could be obtained through human merit and obedience to church traditions.

     I was told by one member of the assembly that I was no longer teaching Christ when I would make the proclamation to beware of religion. This reminds me of something Paul said to the born-again believers at Philippi.

 

For many walk:

Philippians 3:17-19

The apostle Paul is instructing the brethren to become fellow imitators of him, and to fix their attention on those who walk in such a manner as they have us for the right example. 

For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: (Philippians 3:18)

     He says that there are many Christians, who live as the enemies of the cross (of the death) of Christ. There are two schools of thought as to whom Paus was referring to. Some say that they are Judaizers (Christian Jews) who taught that an unbeliever is made righteous by the observance of the Levitical sacrifices. Others say that they are Christian Greeks of Epicurean tendencies. The Epicureans represented a Greek school of philosophy which taught that the satisfaction of the physical appetites was the highest aim of man. They had allowed their Christian liberty to degenerate into licentiousness. They did not understand God's grace and thus thought lightly of continuing in sin41Based on the way they chose to live, this destroyed the meaning of Christ’s death on the cross. 

Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things. (Philippians 3:19)

     No matter who Paul was referring to, he goes on to say this about them, whose: end (inevitable outcome) is that they will suffer destruction; God is their belly (worshipping their own appetites, sexual gratifications, and self-indulgences;and who live with not any reference to eternity; … but only to eat, drink, and be merry42), whose glory is in their shame (being proud of sensuality and carnality, but these things are what they should be ashamed of43) and who mind earthly things (to depend on earthly things to gain favor with God; their whole study and attention are taken up with earthly matters44; they were holding on to earthly rituals and beliefs that God had given to Israel, and they were opposing the heavenly blessings that the Christian has in Christ45).

     Paul was shedding tears in regard to these believers. How sad it is to have the Holy Spirit and not enjoy his presence, teaching, and guiding. How sad it is to continue to live according to the dictates of the flesh instead of the dictates of the Spirit. How sad it is to reveal the same life you lived before you were saved after having received the indwelling Holy Spirit. How sad it is to not have any fellowship with these believers in Christ.

     Remember the devil has many weapons at his disposal to disrupt a Christian’s walk with God.

     What do you think his next weapon is?

 

BY PROJECTIONS

So, what is a projection?

     This was something I was totally unaware of when I became a Christian. I initially became aware of what this was, when I was on staff for a church that was located in my home town. This church provided housing for its members. On one particular evening, I knelt down to pray in my bedroom. As I was offering up prayer, all of a sudden an image of a particular person appeared from my past, who I was associated with in let’s say a sexual way. This interrupted my prayer, and I have to admit that I was quite alarmed by this. As I thought about what had just happened, I realized this was a projection from the forces of evil trying to inhibit me from continuing on in prayer.

     So, what is an evil projection?

     An evil projection is something that comes into the mind, which could come in the form of: an image of someone with whom we had some kind of engagement with in regards to sin; thoughts that try to stimulate us to think evil about someone else, which has no basis in fact; thoughts relating to a regretful action that we had committed against someone else; thoughts relating to a regretful action that we wish we could have prevented from happening.

     How do we know whether this projection came from the satanic forces of evil or whether this projection was triggered by someone or some situation we had just interacted with? Sometimes this distinction isn’t always clear. However, if a projection occurs when you are occupied with prayer, praise, or studying the word this could be a pretty good indication that the forces of evil are trying to inhibit you in your walk with God.

     Is there a scriptural basis for this?

     There is. Let’s go to Ephesians 6.

 

The fiery darts of the wicked:

Suggested Reading: Ephesians 6:10-16

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)

The apostle considers every Christian as being engaged in warfare against numerous, powerful, and subtle foes. Their leader, the devil, uses his wiles (methods;the different means, plans, schemes, and machinations which he uses to deceive, entrap, enslave, and ruin the souls of men46) against believers.

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (Ephesians 6:12)

     One of the methods he uses against them is called the fiery darts of the wicked one (the evil one). There are a number of ways to describe them.

     They can be referred to as:

  1. Considerations darted into the mind… sometimes they start up suddenly in the mind, even in the middle of holy exercises47              
  2. Lies, blasphemous thoughts, hateful thoughts about others, doubts, and burning desires for sin48.

     There is also something more about them that the believer should know.

     They can:

Come suddenly, like arrows sped from a bow.

~ Come from unexpected quarters, like arrows shot suddenly from an enemy in ambush.

~ Pierce, and penetrate, and torment the soul, as arrows would that are on fire.

~ Set the soul on fire, and kindle the worst passions, as fiery darts do to a ship or a camp against which they are sent49.                                                                                                                                        

     Are there any other weapons that are left at the devil’s disposal?   

    There is one more.

 

BY FALSE TEACHING

I believe that this is the devil’s most successful weapon which he uses to prevent people from getting saved and stunt the growth of born-again Christians. For the unbeliever, he offers a myriad of gods to believe in proclaiming that all roads lead to the same place. For the believer, he tries to obscure any reliance on the ministry of the Holy Spirit. He does this by advocating through his messengers (false teachers) that the believer is still responsible to observe some of the tenets of the Mosaic Law, which was given to the Jews as a schoolmaster (tutor) in order to bring them to Christ. He also obscures their reliance on the ministry of the Holy Spirit by using teachers who advocate religious freedom (the freedom to engage in the sins of the flesh: e.g. adultery, fornication, homosexuality, lesbianism; polygamy; incest; slander; lying; extortion; etc.) as allowances of their liberty in Christ.

     Let’s take a look at an example as to how the devil uses this weapon of false teaching against believers.

 

Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light: 

2 Corinthians 11:3-20

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:3)    

The devil, as he beguiled (deceived) Eve in the Garden of Eden, desires to corrupt the mind of believers as to their single-hearted faith in Christ.

For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. (2 Corinthians 11:4)                                                          

     He does this in three ways:

a.   By preaching another Jesus.

This refers to his identity. The devil has no issue with any religion or teaching that proclaims that Jesus is a prophet, teacher, angel, Michael the archangel, or even the Son of God, as long as he is not referred to as being God come in the flesh, who is one of the members of the trinity, the other two members being God the Father and the Holy Spirit. 

b.   By receiving another spirit.

He desires that the spirit of human perception be that which characterizes the teachings of those, who are in the leadership positions of the church so that this same spirit also characterizes the perception of its members.

c.   By accepting another gospel.

The devil’s gospel is to support the idea that all roads lead to the same place. Teachings are encouraged which center around the ideas that: Jesus payment for sin has no value; Jesus was not raised from the dead; no one goes to hell; Jesus is not God; there is no need for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, human merit will secure eternal life; sin is to be condoned, etc.

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:13)                                                                                                               

     His false apostles (those who claim to have divine authority) are deceitful workers (imposters) whose motives are to get personal gain by capturing converts. They offer an admixture of the Mosaic Law and grace. Instead of being empowered by the Holy Spirit they emphasis dos and don’ts, which they proclaim will please God. They masquerade meaning that they advocate a change on the outside, but not on the inside. Some will even teach that you can live the way you want as long as you follow the protocols of their church (e.g. tithe; volunteer for church activities; observe certain days of the year; etc.).

And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works. (2 Corinthians 11:14-15)             

     Furthermore, they masquerade as gentleman of the cloth (agents of good). This should not be a surprise, because Satan himself is a pseudo emissary persuading men to do things under the name of religion. Therefore, it is nothing so great that Satan’s agents are faithful and upright (morally) whose works are works of deception.                                  

     It is unfortunate today that there are many Christians, who have become a new creation, but are attending churches which don’t preach the gospel, and instead advocate that it is by means of obeying the Mosaic Law and doing good deeds, which will procure favor with God. They believe that the basis for securing entrance into heaven is by being subjected to or partaking in some kind of human action (e.g. water baptism; communion; observing the sacraments; observing the holy days; confessing to a priest; tithing; observing the 7th day Sabbath; etc.). Pleasing God is relegated to adhering to patterns of outward observance. Fellowship with God by means of the ministry of the Holy Spirit is substituted by engaging in church activities, which have a godly tradition. Church becomes a social gathering with a godly slant with no impact of divine power.

     So, now that you are aware as to the weapons that the devil uses against believers in order to: inflict bodily harm, even death; distort their mental reasoning by means of projections; confuse by means of false teachings, how is the Christian able to fight against them?

 



© 2018 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on March 23, 2018
Last Updated on March 23, 2018


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo