PART 4 COMMUNION

PART 4 COMMUNION

A Chapter by rondo
"

Do scriptures from the Church Age support the view that the elements of Communion turn into the literal body and blood of Christ?

"

PART 4 COMMUNION

CHAPTER 6

At Communion Is the Changing of the Bread and Wine into the Literal Body and Blood of Christ Supported by the Scriptures That Relate to the Dispensation Known as the Church Age?

      Will any of these scripture sections provide further insight as to whether the elements of bread and wine at communion become the literal body and blood of Christ? This is the time when the Holy Spirit came to indwell unbelievers. Once an unbeliever has received him, how will they grow to spiritual maturity?

 

Why were saved Gentiles prohibited from partaking of meats offered to idols, blood, and things strangled?

That Ye Abstain from Meats Offered unto Idols, and from Blood

Suggested Reading: Acts 15:1-30

      The elders and apostles of the Jerusalem church sent Paul, Barnabas, Judas, and Silas to read a letter to the churches of Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia; informing them that Gentile believers do not need to be circumcised in order to be saved.

      The background to this was that there were many Jews who believed that before a Gentile can become saved they must first become circumcised which would signify their conversion to Judaism. Once circumcised, they would be obligated to keep the entire Mosaic Law. If they followed in these steps, then their subsequent belief in Jesus would secure their salvation.

That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well. (Acts 15:29)

      The conclusion by the elders and apostles was that a Gentile does not have to be circumcised and subsequently keep the law of Moses in order to be saved. However, there were some conditions which the Gentiles should abide by. These are that they should abstain from eating meats offered to idols, fornication, things strangled, and blood. It is pretty obvious that the warning to not engage in fornication would inhibit their spiritual growth. But why were they asked to abstain from eating meats offered to idols things strangled, and blood?

      Eating meats offered to idols had to do with the association of eating meats that were involved with animal sacrificial offerings in regards to pagan worship. As far as not eating things strangled (animals killed by strangulation whose meat contained blood) and blood (drinking blood) these were dietary restrictions for the Jews under the Mosaic Law.

      The reasons for these prohibitions was because the early church would meet together for group meals, called agape feasts, initially which were held daily, but later were changed to once a week, at which time food was shared amongst one another. Some of the Jewish Christians were still abiding by the dietary Mosaic laws, which prohibited them from consuming blood whether in meat or drink. When the Gentiles brought food to the feast, they were not allowed to bring meat offered to idols, meat with blood in it, and any drink with blood in it. Meat that was drained of blood would be considered acceptable.

 

At Communion Are the Elements of Bread and Wine Changed into Christ’s Body and Blood?

At Communion Are the Elements of Bread and Wine Changed into Christ’s Body and Blood?

·       No

·       Even though many Jews became Christians, they continued to observe aspects of the Mosaic dietary laws, two of which were that they were prohibited from eating meat with blood in it and of partaking of any drink with blood in it.

·       When the Jews and Gentiles ate together at the Agape Feast, the Gentiles would make sure that if they brought meat it would not have been offered to idols, the blood would have been drained out of it, and if they brought something to drink it would not contain any blood.

·       If communion was celebrated and the Jews were told that the wine would become Christ’s literal blood, they would not have drank it, but rather they would have walked away from this observance, and in all likelihood would have left the church.  

 

·       Yes

·       Even though many Jews became Christians, they continued to observe aspects of the Mosaic dietary laws, two of which were that they were prohibited from eating meat with blood in it and from drinking any kind of drink which had blood in it.

·       When the Jews and Gentiles ate together at the Agape Feast, the Gentiles would make sure that if they brought meat it would not have been offered to idols, the blood would have been drained out of it, and if they decided to bring something to drink it would not contain any blood.

·       If communion was celebrated the Jewish Christians would be told that even though the wine became Christ’s literal blood, they wouldn’t be able to taste or notice it.

·       Because they couldn’t see or taste it, this would be considered by them as an acceptable practice to engage in.

 

        

If a believer were to knowingly partake of the meat of an animal that was offered in sacrifice to idols, what would this indicate that they were participating in?

If You Attend a Heathen Feast, Whatever Is Set Before You Eat, Asking No Questions

Suggested Reading: 1 Corinthians 10:14-33

      The issue of eating meats previously offered in pagan sacrifices is revisited here because many believers took issue with fellow believers who knowingly ate such meat. Paul’s recommendation was to ask no questions when buying meat in the market place or when attending a feast held by unbelievers where meat was offered. However, if you were told in advance that the meat had been used in pagan sacrifices, the believer should abstain because by eating they would, in effect, be participating in the worship of the demons to which the sacrifices were offered in pagan rituals.

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. …Israel…are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? (1 Corinthians 10:16-18)    

      Just as the Jews who ate sacrificial meat as an indication of sharing in worship, so the breaking of the bread and the drinking of the wine in the Lord’s Supper at communion was an indication of a sharing or joint participation in the worship of Christ.

 

At Communion Are the Elements of Bread and Wine Changed into Christ’s Body and Blood?

At Communion Are the Elements of Bread and Wine Changed into Christ’s Body and Blood?

·       No

·       Communion is a sharing or joint participation of the church in the worship of Christ.

·       Yes

·       Communion is a sharing or joint participation of the church in the worship of Christ by means of the bread and wine being changed into His literal body and blood.

                                   

What should come to mind when we partake of the elements of communion?   

When You Come Together, It Is Not to Eat the Lord’s Supper

Suggested Reading: 1 Corinthians 11:18-34

When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. (1 Corinthians 11:20-21; 23-26)

      The Corinthians held agape or love feasts, which involved church members coming together for a social meal on the first day of the week. These feasts were intended for mutual relief or charity to the poor. Apparently, when the richer members of the church showed up, they ate their own food and consumed enough wine to get drunk such that nothing was left for the poor to eat or drink. When the Lord’s Supper was to be observed following the consumption of the meal, the poor looked upon it with physical motivation (satisfying one’s hunger and thirst) rather than spiritual motivation. The solution to the problem was to wait until all had arrived and received their food and drink before any consumption was to take place.

Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. (1 Corinthians 11:27-30; 33)

      Further instruction was brought forth stating that before anyone partakes of the Lord’s Supper, they should examine their motives or state of mind, otherwise, the result could be discipline from the Lord which could involve the loss of physical strength through disease or even physical death. For as often as they ate of the bread and drank of the wine, they evidenced a visible sermon that proclaimed "the message of the Cross", that is, the reality of the Lord's death, and also the certainty of His return (until He comes14).

                                  

At Communion Are the Elements of Bread and Wine Changed into Christ’s Body and Blood?

At Communion Are the Elements of Bread and Wine Changed into Christ’s Body and Blood?

·       No

·       Partaking in the breaking of the bread and drinking of the wine is a memorial or proclamation of the reality of the Lord's death, and also the certainty of His return (until He comes).

·       Yes

·       Partaking in the breaking of the bread and drinking of the wine is a proclamation of the reality of the Lord’s death by changing these elements into His literal body and blood.

 

     There you have it. Most of the verses which relate to the topic of communion have been looked at. You have two things currently at your disposal to help you in deciding whether the elements of the bread and wine actually turn into the literal body and blood of Christ at communion. The first has to do with trying to determine whether the reference to a person or thing in a verse means exactly what it says or whether the reference is symbolic. The second has to do with having looked at the many scripture sections that relate to the elements of the bread and wine at communion and trying to determine if any of them has provided you with enough insight so that you will be able to make an informed decision on this topic.

       In the next chapter, we are going to take a look at the opinions of the Church Fathers in regards to this topic. Who are the Church Fathers, and what is it that they have to say about this subject?

 


 



© 2018 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on December 6, 2018
Last Updated on December 6, 2018


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo