PART 10 THE SPIRITUALITY PUZZLE

PART 10 THE SPIRITUALITY PUZZLE

A Chapter by rondo
"

Salvation By Repentance and Belief: Does the Holy Spirit come into a person’s life following water baptism?

"

10

SALVATION BY REPENTANCE AND BELIEF: DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT COME INTO A PERSON’S LIFE FOLLOWING WATER BAPTISM?

This is another question that needs to be answered with respect to the salvation message of repentance and belief. Is the indwelling Spirit received following repentance and belief, or does the person also need to be baptized in water for this to take place? For some churches, the answer to this question is essential to their belief system that water baptism is implemented for a particular reason and therefore has a mandatory place in the salvation process. What do the Scriptures have to say about this? Let’s find out.

Please go to the book of Acts.

 

Suggested Reading: Acts 10:1-48

43-48 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

We’ve looked at these verses earlier. To summarize, the Apostle Peter was at the house of a Gentile named Cornelius, who was accompanied by his kinsman and was preaching Christ to them. As he was speaking, we’re told that the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word. The word fell means to take possession of or to come into. After this, they heard them speak in tongues and magnify God. And then Peter recommended them to be baptized in water to which they were.

In this instance, the salvation process was the preaching of the gospel, repentance, and belief, receiving the indwelling Spirit, and water baptism.

Let’s keep on taking a look at some other Scriptures in this regard until we can formulate a conclusion.

 

Galatians 3:14

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

The Apostle Paul was alarmed by the Galatian believers, each of whom had received the indwelling Spirit by faith and were now attempting to grow to spiritual maturity by attempting to obey the tenets of the Mosaic Law. As for the topic at hand, he’s emphasizing salvation.

Romans 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

He declares that the blessing of Abraham, i.e., of being made righteous and receiving the promise of the Spirit, the indwelling Spirit, was through faith (conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah).It appears that the receiving of the indwelling Spirit followed faith. Let’s continue this research by going back to the book of Acts.

 

Suggested Reading: Acts 22:1-16; Acts 9:17-18

As you might notice, we’ve already studied these verses, which have to do with the Apostle Paul’s conversion to Christ when he was on the road to Damascus seeking to persecute Christians. This encounter caused him to fall to the ground, and upon opening his eyes, he was apparently blinded.

Acts 9:17-18 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

The men with him brought him to Damascus, where after three days, a disciple of the Lord named Ananias inquired of him and laid hands on him, with the result being that he received his sight back and was filled with the Holy Ghost. After which, he was baptized in water. So, here’s another example of the Spirit being received before water baptism was initiated.                                                                                                                                                      

Let’s stay in the book of Acts and go to chapter 2.

 

Suggested Reading: Acts 2:1-47

These Scriptures were also looked at earlier.

Acts 1:4-5 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

This gospel concluded that on the day of Pentecost, one hundred twenty disciples were Baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The word that was used to express this was filled. This means they were experiencing the presence (divine love, divine joy, divine peace) of the Holy Spirit. For this to happen, the Spirit would have had to already come into each of their lives to indwell, which one could assume occurred simultaneously as the filling. With that said, what was the salvation process revealed to those Jews who listened to the Apostle Peter declare to them the gospel message and of whom apparently three thousand responded?

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

According to Koine Greek, we rewrote this verse as, Repent, and believe in the one who is both Lord and Christ on the basis of the remission of your sins, and be baptized, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Is this saying that the indwelling Spirit was received after repentance, belief, and water baptism? It’s true that the words be baptized are in what is called the imperative mood, which is a mood of command. But on what basis?

Were the new converts commanded to be baptized in water to receive the indwelling Spirit? Were they commanded to be baptized because it’s an integral part of the salvation process and without which an unbeliever can’t be savedOr was it commanded not because it was necessary for salvation but because of its importance at this time in that it illustrated, to the many Jews who attended this feast, their public identification with Christ as their Messiah and Savior?

We have one more section of Scriptures to look at. These are probably considered by some as proof that water baptism is necessary for someone to receive the indwelling Spirit.

 

Suggested Reading: Acts 8:1-40

5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

14-17 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Philip, one of the seven deacons of the Jerusalem church, who was also called “the evangelist,” had left this city because of intense persecution that followed after the death of one of the other deacons named Stephen. He decided to go to Samaria and preach the salvation message of repentance and belief to these Gentiles. We’re told that they received the Word and were baptized in water, but the Holy Spirit didn’t fall on any of them, i.e., none of them received the indwelling Spirit. How it was known that the indwelling Spirit was not received was not disclosed.   

Nonetheless, two Apostles, Peter and John, were sent from Jerusalem to lay hands on each person who had previously believed the Word. And subsequently, each of them received the indwelling Spirit. In this instance, the Holy Spirit was received after water baptism and the laying on of hands. This occurrence was contrary to what happened at the house of Cornelius and likewise in respect to the Apostle Paul. So, are there two different perspectives as to when the indwelling Spirit is received? Is it conceivable to think that at times the indwelling Spirit is received following response to the gospel of repentance and faith and at other times following repentance, faith, and water baptism?

 

What could be an explanation for the Holy Spirit not being received by the Samaritans following repentance and belief?

Here are a few explanations. One explanation is from the Bible Knowledge Commentary. It was necessary for the apostles at Jerusalem to commission Peter and John to Samaria for several reasons. (1) Peter and John's prayer (for bestowing of the Holy Spirit) and their laying on of hands (resulting in the coming of the Spirit) confirmed Philip's ministry among the Samaritans. This authenticated this new work to the Jerusalem apostles. (2) Perhaps the most important aspect of God withholding the Spirit till apostolic representatives came from the Jerusalem church was to prevent schism. Because of the natural propensity of division between Jews and Samaritans, it was essential for Peter and John to welcome the Samaritan believers officially into the church.91 Another explanation is given to us from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary. This being the first accession and baptism of a large body of disciples, through the instrumentality of one who was not himself an apostle, it was fitting that the newborn church of this city should be taught the proper position and authority of those divinely-appointed founders of the Church; and this visit to them of a deputation from the mother-church at Jerusalem, consisting of the two most prominent members of the apostolic body, was just the thing to produce that effect.92   

Could we conclude that water baptism and the laying on of hands caused the Samaritans to receive the indwelling Spirit? Some churches would say yes, while others would say that the receiving of the indwelling Spirit in this manner was suitable for the situation at hand and shouldn’t be taken as the protocol to be implemented.

With what has been learned about water baptism over the past few chapters, now we’ll attempt to answer the question, is water baptism necessary in the salvation process? Are you ready to find out? Please turn the page.

 



© 2023 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on March 14, 2023
Last Updated on March 14, 2023


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo