PART 8 A LONGING OF THE SOUL

PART 8 A LONGING OF THE SOUL

A Chapter by rondo
"

What did the believers in the early church teach us about prayer?

"

7

The Believers in the Early Church Can Teach Us a Lot about Prayer

Here are some questions about prayer to consider. Is there a specific and set amount of time for prayer that believers should adhere to? Have you ever speculated whether it’s appropriate for church leadership to set aside compulsory corporate prayer? In this chapter, we’ll try to answer both of these questions. Another question to consider is what the saints of the early church prayed for. We’ll, let’s try to find out what Scripture have to say.

Let’s begin by looking at what, when, how long, and how often the assembly of the early church prayed for. Please turn in your Bibles to the Book of Acts. 

           

Acts 2:41-42, 46

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,                                                                                                                                                                                      

On the day of Pentecost, over three thousand people believed in Christ as their Messiah/Savior. Because of this, many of them attended constantly to the apostles’ doctrine (teachings) and fellowship, the meetings of such for Christian fellowship that were centered on intimate worship, sharing and learning the Scriptures, partaking of meals together, celebrating the Lord’s Supper, and in prayers at believer’s homes. They also met at the temple, where prayer was scheduled three times throughout the day.

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Some commentators contend that the believer’s prayers begin with the Lord’s prayer, which might be followed according to individual choice (available time or inclination) with Psalms, Hymns, spiritual songs, and personal prayer.68 The amount of time spent by each individual would be left up to them.

As time passed, disagreement over theology by leaders of Judaism and Christianity brought about persecution in the early church. Because of this, attendance at the temple for public prayer ceased, and so did the frequency of the gatherings of the saints for worship and fellowship.

1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

The observance of the Sabbath was replaced with a meeting on the first day of the week, the day following the Sabbath. The designation, in Roman terms, would be Sunday, the seventh day of the week. Daily worship and fellowship were changed to once a week. However, what constituted it: teachings, food sharing, the Lord’s supper, and prayers continued. Commentators infer those prayers were comprised of supplications to God for an increase of grace and life in [their souls,] for establishment in the truth which they had [received,] and for the extension of the kingdom of Christ in the salvation of men.69 The exact time when Christians met on the first day of the week and for how long isn’t stated. Each assembly of believers would decide this on their own.

Another aspect of prayer, i.e., of corporate prayer, is what we’ll take a look at next. Stay in the Book of Acts, proceeding to chapter 20.

                                                                  

Suggested Reading: Acts 12:1-23

1-3 Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church. And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)

Herod the King was persecuting the church. He captured the Apostle James, the brother of the Apostle John Zebedee, and had him executed. After which, he had the Apostle Peter apprehended, taken into custody, and placed in prison to have a public trial for the same end as the Apostle James. Fortunately for Peter, this trial would be on hold for eight days as two feasts were at hand. The Passover would be observed on the first day, followed by the seven days of Unleavened Bread.

5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

The church members were very much aware that what had happened to James would probably happen to Peter unless they did something. Their secret weapon wasn’t to try and storm the prison but to pray to God the Father for his release. Believers would meet in little groups in various houses to pray for Peter. The idea of the words prayer was made without ceasing in Koine Greek doesn’t seem to indicate that it was an all-day affair but rather refers to the urgency of such.

12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.

While Peter was sleeping in prison, he was awakened by an angel of the Lord, who led him out safely and without detection. After he walked through the main gate, he went to the house of a woman named Mary, where many had been gathered together in the nighttime in prayer for him, knowing that on the next day, he’d probably be tried publicly and put to death.

The believers at the church of Thessalonica were asked to pray for a request made to them by the Apostle Paul. Any idea what this was about? Please turn to the Book of 2 Thessalonians. 

 

2 Thessalonians 3:1-2

Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

The Apostle Paul asked the believers at Thessalonica to pray for himself, Silvanus, and Timothy so that they’d be delivered from opposition in their endeavors to spread the gospel.70 This resistance would be from unbelievers described as unreasonable(under no discipline, regardless of [the] law and restraint71) and wicked men (having bad aims and purposes).

The Apostle Paul asked the believers of another church, i.e., at Colosse, to pray for something while he resided in prison. Did he ask them to pray for better jail conditions, better food, cleaner bed sheets, etc.? Let’s find out. Please go to the book that bears its name, Colossians.

 

Colossians 4:2-4

Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

Paul was asking the believers at Colosse to pray for both Timothy and himself that God would open up a door of utterance (occasion, opportunity, or entrance72) for the mystery of Christ (the doctrine of the gospel) to be able to be declared from where he was, which was in prison.

What we’ll take a look at next is another prayer request that the Apostle Paul made to one of his disciples named Timothy, to whom he instructed to express such in the public assemblies.

 

1 Timothy 2:1-2, 8

1-2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

The Apostle Paul was giving instruction to Timothy and subsequently to those who were to be called to lead in public prayer that supplications (petitions having to do with one’s personal needs as they are related to the government under which he lives73), prayers (the general word for prayer), intercessions (for conversions; prayers offered for another person), and giving of thanks (expressing gratitude not only on account of personal prosperity and success but also for the salvation of unbelievers) be made for all men. And for kings, and for all that are in authority so that they may lead a life which is quiet (freedom from outward disturbance or persecutions) and peaceable (freedom within; calmness), thus showing great devotion and reverence ([or] respect) for God, and behaving in a right and proper way before other people.74

8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

And wherever Christians assemble, they’d offer up prayers for a widespread spiritual awakening among the populace and its rulers.75 They’d signify this outwardly with the palms of their hands facing upward to heaven, signifying internal cleanness.

And they’d make sure that their conscience was without wrath (not quarreling with God when He doesn’t send immediate help amid adversity; without the intermingling of any evil passion76having no vindictive feeling against any person; [harboring] no unforgiving spirit77) or disputings (not questioning whether prayer shall obtain an answer; without the element of [skeptical] criticism, whether of God’s character and [dealings] or of the character and behavior of those for whom prayer is offered78; not approaching God in an unfit state of mind occupied with angry contentions involving religious disputes).

Finally, when we pray, let’s make sure that our minds are set in a certain way. The Book of James will disclose to us what this is all about.

 

James 1:5-7

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

If any of you lack wisdom (doesn’t know how to meet any particular problem79ask God in prayer, who gives liberally (without hesitation) and upbraideth not (doesn’t make you feel guilty).

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Let him ask in faith (unwavering confidence), nothing wavering (doubting; to waver between two alternatives, torn between his allegiance to God and his distrust of God80). For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed (has no stability).

Most of us will admit that there are specific issues that we have no clue how to address. Well, God has the answers for every situation. Go to Him, letting Him know what’s going on and asking Him for direction, whether received from another person, a verse of Scripture, a word from the message presented in a church service, etc.   

With that said, I’d like to leave you with an article that’s like the one about the freeing of the Apostle Peter from jail by an angel of the Lord. Except, in this case, God used a Bible.

 

HOW ONE PRAYER WAS ANSWERED IN A DAY

Every once in a while, a response from God comes much [faster] if I’m awake and alert to notice it.

“Enjoy your week alone, convict.” Those were the last words I heard before the prison guard slammed shut the steel door. My new cell was a [ten by ten] room with concrete walls. All I would see for the next seven days. Just me, a thin mattress on the [floor,] and a book. But I didn’t let the guard see how I felt about it. I wasn’t going to show any weakness. That could get a guy killed in a place like this.

What had I done? Several counts of dealing and cooking [methamphetamines earned] me a jail sentence of about 175 years. I would never get out of the Oklahoma Lexington Correctional Center. With no hope and nothing else to do, I dealt and took even more drugs in prison�"that’s how I ended up in solitary. Bad drug deal [in] the yard.

But what did it matter? My life had ended five years ago when I got locked up. Not that I fit into regular society anyway. If anybody saw me coming down the street�"beard down to my belly, hair down my back, fire in my eye�"they’d say: There’s a guy who’s going to hell. And they’d be right.

I sat on the mattress, my back up against the wall, and picked up the book. A Bible. Of course. Don’t know what they think this book has to do with me, I thought. The Bible was for upstanding people on the outside. People like the man my family thought I’d become when I won a math achievement contest at 13. Not the junkie convict I was now. I tossed the Bible into the corner.

As the hours and the days dragged by, that little red book looked more interesting. I lost track of how long I’d been in the hole when I started reading. I flipped to the stories about Jesus. The prison ministers talked about him all the time. How great he was, how loving.

Jesus wouldn’t know what to do with me, that was for sure! Nothing much to love about a guy like me. Jesus was for good people. People who didn’t have to be forgiven for much more than their little white lies. But then…what was this? Jesus said, “I was in prison and you visited me…[Truly,] I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” I read the passage again, making sure I got it right. [Did Jesus relate] to prisoners?

I read more of the [Bible] about how Jesus encouraged all the outcasts to follow him. He had died for their sins, and he forgave them. My [sins,] too? I wondered. Jesus wasn’t just for good people? The page before me blurred. If the other prisoners saw the tears in my [eyes,] I’d be in trouble. You don’t show weakness and survive in prison. “Jesus?” I whispered. “Would you really help me? Take away my desire for drugs. Let me be a better man.”

I fell asleep with the Bible open in front of me and read it as soon as I woke up. I read until the day the guard opened the thick steel door. Daylight poured into the dim cell and stung my eyes. “Back to the yard, convict.”

Back to the yard, I thought. Back to reality. Had I really prayed in there? Had I really asked God for help? A moment of weakness, I thought as the guard locked me back up in my usual cell. I can’t let that happen again.

Right [away,] I scored some drugs to block out my memory of my time in solitary. Getting high had always been my answer. Not this time. Oh, I did the drugs all right that night, but I didn’t get high. “Must be something wrong with the drugs,” I said, staring up at the ceiling.

But a few days [later,] when I tried again, I couldn’t get high. Where was the rush? I remembered my crazy prayer in solitary: Take away my desire for drugs. I’d want them again soon enough. For now, without the obsession dogging me, I paid more attention to those hospital chaplains. When the education coordinator, Donna, called me down to her office, I went.

“I think it’s time you enrolled in college,” she said. “College?” I laughed. “Guys like me don’t go to college. Who needs a better-educated inmate?”

She closed the folder and looked me right in the eye. “None of us knows what the future holds. It’s one thing to serve time, another to waste it.”

I guessed she had a point. If nothing else, a college course might be a distraction�"like that Bible in solitary. I passed the entrance exam [and, a week later,] showed up in the classroom trailer. There were about a dozen prisoners who’d signed up, all [clean-cut-looking] guys who wanted to start over in life when they got released.

What are you doing here? [Their] eyes seemed to ask me. Which is what I was asking myself. Why was I wasting my time learning about computer technology? Because I’d had another moment of weakness and let myself hope things could be different for me?

I stuck with my classes. [I’ve always been good with computers,] and I enjoyed it. In two [years,] I’d earned my associate’s degree. “You should be proud,” Donna said when I went to see her. “I am,” I said. “I almost forgot what it felt like.”

Upon completing a degree, a prisoner automatically comes up for a parole hearing. Mine was held just a few days later. “Jeff Brown,” the committee chairman said, “in seven years of [incarceration,] you haven’t shown you have anything to offer society. Frankly, you could get ten degrees and still have nothing to offer. Parole denied.”

I faced the committee squarely, not showing any weakness. But as I shuffled back to my cell, Jesus’ story came back to me. He gave hope to people who had none. But wasn’t I beyond all hope? Did I expect God himself to get me out of prison? [Has one of his angels unlocked] the cell door?

A couple [of days later,] Donna called me to her office again. “The governor is going to release five hundred inmates,” she said. “The only people eligible are nonviolent offenders who have upgraded their education in prison.” “Like me earning my degree?”“It’s all done,” Donna said. “Jeff, you’re a free man.”

I went back to my cell in a daze. Me? Free? I don’t think it’s the governor who’s in charge here. There was a higher power at work. I knew I’d struggle to stay [drug-free]. But now I was determined. God had released me from my hopelessness. From the [prison,] I’d locked myself in for too long. He’d answered the prayer I’d [made] and even the prayer I didn’t dare make. He was just waiting for me to be brave enough to ask for his help. Just waiting for me to have a moment of weakness to show me the meaning of strength.81

In the next chapter, we’ll take a look at something we should strongly consider before we pray so that we’re rightly related to God. Any idea what I’m referring to?

 


 

 



© 2024 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on April 28, 2024
Last Updated on April 28, 2024


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo