Said a Father to his Son.

Said a Father to his Son.

A Poem by Rorke Hardy

Said a Father to his Son:

A father and son sit beside a fireplace.

-Son I we haven’t always gotten along…

-Dad you know that’s not important now.

-No this is important. Fathers have a strange role. We’re supposed to create a perfect person from ourselves. But we’re broken. Its not an excuse, it’s the way things are. I’ve tried to be the best I can be and God knows it wasn’t enough.

-Dad…

-I know. I’m broken but that doesn’t excuse it. There is so much beauty and ugliness in this world son and I hope I’ve showed you that. What you must always know is that there is love. There is love in the small things and love in the big things. In the wonderful times and even in the bad. I just hope to show you that love even if I myself can hardly express it. You are not just my flesh and blood but you are part of my soul, a compilation of my joys and my fears and I know its not perfect but its what I have and I give it to you. And you have my love and I want you to know that. No matter what you do or what you become, you have my love.

-Dad I know that we’ve had our differences, or fights and our pain. The joys and fears you have filled me with are a mold, a shell from which I came, a product of your hopes and mine. And your love was my food, my water in the desert. I’ve felt your love, in the smiled and laughter and in the warmth of your pride. I’ve felt it in the silence, in your anger and your confusion. Your love gives me the courage and the strength to rejoice in who you are and who I will become. And I hope that you feel my love and grow from it, healing the cracks that your father left you, as my son will heal the cracks you left me.


And father and son sit there, as the world shrinks to no more than the two chairs and the fire crackling in its hearth.

© 2011 Rorke Hardy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

it's beautiful and touching. i love the story and the message. hehe~
the love of a parent is the greatest treasures of life could give.
i love it. nice read!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 14, 2011
Last Updated on September 14, 2011