Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rosalynd

Chapter 1

Bang! Crash! Boom! Ping! Ping! Ping! The Jenga tower collapsed. Most of the bricks fell through the open trapdoor leading to the basement. "Oh, man," moaned Aden. "Why do I always lose?" "Losers re-build the towers, "said Rosalynd happily, lying down on the floor.

Rosalynd and Aden were best friends and neighbors. They were both 11 years old. Rosalynd had come over to Aden's house, and they were having a game of Jenga.

"And most of them fell into the basement, too," complained Aden. "Well, the rules are the rules," said Rosalynd, "but alright. I'll help you, but just this once. I'll start building the tower with the bricks here while you collect those in the basement. Okay?" "Okay," said Aden, brightening up, and disappeared down the basement. "And don't forget to turn on the light! It's easy to have an accident if you don't!" called Rosalynd after him and started to build the tower.

After she finished her part, she looked down the trapdoor again. It was dark. "Aden!" she called, "I said turn on the light!" but the basement didn't light up. Nor did any response come to her. "ADEN!" "Well, he's probably having a joke again," she said to herself. "WELL, ADEN! IT'S NOT FUNNY! REMEMBER LAST TIME YOU FELL INTO THE GUTTER? NOW COME BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!" No response. But Rosalynd wasn't the least bit scared. She was used to his jokes. She waited for five more minutes and called down once more," HEY! I'M NOT JOKING! I'M CALLING THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!" She listened carefully, but not the tiniest rustling sound came up from below.

Rosalynd was getting bored by now, but she hated dark, musty places-especially cellars or basements. She had just one more trick up her sleeve before she had to go down and fetch him. She took a deep breath and called, "Hey! Aden! Just fetch the brick and I'll re-build the tower, okay? But just come up or say something so I know you're here! And I've found some chips, too!" She went to the fridge and took out a bag of chips. Then she started munching loudly, and even dropped a chip down the trapdoor to see if Aden would take it.

But no munching sound of chips, or clambering sound of feet up ladders, or response came. Now Rosalynd really began to feel scared. This was not like Aden at all. Usually he'd come once she offers to help him re-build the tower, or at the sound of food. Especially chips. He loved them. But there was no hint of his usual self now.

Rosalynd decided to try once more. "AAAAAAAAAAAADDEEEEEEEEN! A LETTER'S JUST ARRIVED IN THE MAIL! IT'S AN INVITATION TO MACK'S BIRTDAY PARTY! IT'S ARRIVED LATE, SO WER'E SUPPOSED TO GO NOW! IF YOU DON'T COME BACK OUT NOW, I'M LEAVING WITHOUT YOU! BYE!" She stormed around the room, pretending to go out. Then she hid behind the closet and peeked out so she could see the hole clearly. Five minutes past. Then ten. And fifteen. Rosalynd was really getting worried now. This wasn't right. Aden would usually come out after she gave a few attempts. But this was unusual. Has something nasty happened to him? Perhaps...?

She shook her head vigorously. Getting more horrible thoughts into her head would just make her more uneasy about getting into the basement. Oh, come on, Rosalynd, she thought to herself, don't be such a coward. It's just a basement. What's so scary about that? But a little voice said in her head, It's dark in there. And musty, too. And who knows what might lurk there? It's not your basement.

But, before any more thoughts or voices could pop up in her mind, she made up her mind, walked bravely out of the 'protection' of the closet, gripped the sides of the ladder, and put her foot down the first rung. But the moment she let go of the ladder, one foot dangling ready to step on the next rung, the rung she was standing on vanished. She screamed, and the next moment she was falling, falling, to some unknown place.

 

 

 

 



© 2010 Rosalynd


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow!! That's great! This is a great writing... But I have no time...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 31, 2010
Last Updated on August 31, 2010


Author

Rosalynd
Rosalynd

Hong Kong



About
Hi! I'm Rosalynd. I'm 11 years old, and I ADORE writing. I'm in love with it. I write all sorts of things, such as poems, both beautiful and disgustingly funny, and stories, short, sad, long, or adven.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rosalynd


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Rosalynd


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Rosalynd