If I were a wise man

If I were a wise man

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Reflections after making some serious mistakes...

"
































Original image by Nicolas Cherei. Image licensed under a Creative Commons, Attribution -Share Alike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) license.  This image has been modified from the original.  The original image can be seen at http://www.fotopedia.com/items/nicolas-8xb691OwGEc.




If I were a wise man

 

     …More important than being rich--Reflections after making some serious mistakes...


 

If I were a wise man

I would try to see the things to which I am blind

If I were a wise man

I would wait and not act in haste

 

If I were a wise man

I would try to see all sides of an issue

If I were a wise man

I would not be so easily influenced

 

If I were a wise man

I would stop to think about what I value

If I were a wise man

These would be the things I don’t forget

 

If I were a wise man

I would try to see the repercussions of my actions

If I were a wise man

My life would be lighter and with fewer regrets

 

If I were a wise man…

 

 

©2012 Richard Puetter

All right reserved


© 2016 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is a problem I see with this Rick and that is that wisdom has not been defined. Is wisdom to be taken as a weighing up of the facts and coming to the best outcome? Apart from our intellectual powers which we use to come to decisions in a logical way we are also human and driven by irrational emotions. Should we give money to a beggar - logically the answer may be no, but our emotions may say yes. Having said that I would choose to have empathetic wisdom!
Thought provoking as ever.
All the best.
Alan

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow... This is like an recovering addicts prayer/anthem... This was amazing, it's worthy of reading daily. Profound words that I actually work towards, coming out of addictions. It actually really touched me when reading this, thinking back on the recovery center I went to, and the detox... All the stories we'd share. The pain I'd hear in people 'souls'. Truly inspiring and it really affected me, thanks for sharing. Amazing write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

mmm, true, true. but on a more optimistic note, aiming towards wisdom is a noble goal. Sometimes we ARE wise, and sometimes we are simply wise-asses.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

They say "ignorance is bliss" but I've always wondered why more people weren't smiling! I think you are a very intelligent and articulate individual personally and this slice of humility so well presented reflects that you are a wise man as well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Regret is a feeling that stays with us a long time, and tortures us. I love this piece. Especially the last line.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your wisdom is shown exceedingly in this prose my kind friend. I "see wisdom" a gift known to those all that choose to live with spirit“eye’s open”, continuously growing!
~ Namaste ~



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick,

You have given us much to ponder as you present the evidence of one who believes how life could be changed if "I were a wise man...." Yes, life would be different, but after all, are we not wiser because of that which we deem to be unwise has occurred? So, would we see the repercussions of our actions and be a better person for it, or would we succumb to the pulls of "this and that" which seem to frequently enter into the equation?

In understanding and accepting the value of that which we have, would we be satisfied with such, or would the innate nature of man to be one of curiosity cause us to want more?

Oh, questions, many questions!
Your write is thought provoking, and for this I appreciate it! Most all of us yearn for a life that is lighter, lived with fewer regrets........but, we are man, or woman in my case, and I know I am human and shall falter again and again while having the knowledge of that which shall, or would make me a wiser woman.

Your poem has a certain amount of "self-incrimination" so would one write this to be a lesson learned; a poem of regrets, of apologies? I have not the answer to this, but I am respectful of the value of the lessons within it!!

I also agree that wisdom is worth far more than riches!! All the money in the world may not repair that which has been destroyed by acts of folly. May we each be richer for the wisdom we have - though perhaps earned at a very high price!

Best Regards,
Sheila

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wonder if Pax is right? If we all became as wise as your poem indicates, would we not be wise enough not to argue?

If we all ask ourselves your question, would if help us to attain that wisdom?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If you and every other man (and woman) became wise, dear friend, we'd be living in bliss. Then what? After a short time people would start arguing about the meaning of the word! For me, wisdom is a miracle known only to the Chosen Ones, Man can only live on its crumbs.
Your poem is self-seeking and abundantly empathic; don't doubt I won't be the only reviewer who leaves this page needing to think. Worth more than a passing thought: ' If I were a wise man ~ I would try to see all sides of an issue ~ If I were a wise man ~ I would not be so easily influenced'

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1825 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 17, 2012
Last Updated on October 11, 2016
Tags: life, values, judgement, wisdom, philosophy

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aftermath Aftermath

A Poem by Jack...