Warrior of Life

Warrior of Life

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Rise and lift thy spirit!

"


 

 









Warrior of Life

 

 

Oh, trumpet ye, Warrior of Life!
Blow thy horn o’er sea and plain
Thy brightness is a blessing
Across the Earth you duel life’s pain
Transcendency professing
 
Oh, fight ye, then, Giver of Hope!
Wield thy sword and crush despair
Life’s power now asserting
Thy learning is beyond compare
To rise, self-power affirming
 
So do not fall brave citizen
Lift thy soul o’er fear of death
Thy spirit has the prowess
Live fully while you still draw breath
Fight Man’s most dire weakness
 
Arise ye, then, all bleak, dark men―
Black spirit does not suit thee
Of Life, drink full and deeply
Defiant be, and stand with me
Don’t sell life’s treasures cheaply
 
Then trumpet ye, Warrior of Life!
Sound thy horn up to the skies
Thy horn call despair's warning
And though Man’s purpose death belies
Thy spirit ne’er brook mourning
 
 
 
©2008 Richard Puetter
All rights reserved.

© 2016 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah! Wonderful, wonderful!
I read this aloud and loved it! Very enjoyable; my heart soared at the end. The thees and thys make it especially good. It looks *really* polished, but if you want I'll tell you a few things I would change, if it were my poem (and I wish it was);
So, do not fall brave citizen
Lift thy soul o'er fear of death

The one sneaky little comma in there actually stumbled me. I think 'So do not fall brave citizen' would be more desirable. It's more straightforward, with more bravado, more moxie. Funny what one little comma can do.

"Oh, fight ye, then, giver of Hope!
Wield thy sword and crush despair
Life's power now affirming
Thy learning is beyond compare
To rise, self-power asserting"

Ok, 'affirming' and 'asserting' don't really rhyme all that well. Even 'assuring' (although I'm not sure that's what you want) would be better because it doesn't have a hard consonant. Even though assuring and affirming don't really rhyme when you think about it, they fit together pretty well when you read it. Even if you didn't change this line, it would still work ok. I would just change it if I were you.
This was time well spent on my part, reading. Great job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very good very good indeed.I have to say I am drawn to the rhyme and meter as well as the feelings of what a man holds dear.A interesting intelligent foray into the mind

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A call for all of us to become warriors, to live life fully...very well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thats really powerful and inspirational. The old English really imparts a great touch to the poem. I have never read anything like this on WC before. WEll Done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A more rousing call to lift the masses out of complacency of spirit I have seldom read, Rick. We live in the safest times and places that have ever existed, yet I could swear so many live in mortal fear that it will be taken away from them. What good is a life not lived? This sounds like a muster, and I can picture the words being sung by a skylark visiting several towns along its way as it makes its morning rounds. Thanks for sharign my friend... my own spirits were lifted just reading it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Polish? The only polishing that needs to be done is my glasses as I re-read..
Rick,
I am so blessed to have read such afine poem this early morning. Abasolutely beautiful.. stunning in scope, thought and the message delivered is one that will resonate and stay with me for many, many days.
Simply put, beautiful...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so amazing, I liked this one alot, very uplifting.
So well written as wekk.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an inspiring, uplifting poem. It's a battle cry to encourage us to rise above despair and live life fully. It also makes me think of the sun as being the warrior as it can lift our spirits especially those with SAD. The old English works so well here it gives it a classic tone. Very well penned, my friend.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi Rick, This works great as a sister piece to the Penthos poem. There a nice duality there. Congrats on winning the Philosophy contest.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Oh yeah! You've got me with the ye olde english style too. I'm a born and bred anglo, but can't write anything like that! The message is wonderfully delivered- a warriors cry, reminiscent of dylan thomas in some ways. I'm all for going with a bang not a whimper. You are completely changing my preconceptions of 'nerdy' scientists btw- my wife will be pleased about that, as it means the 'stoned hippie' will have lost the stereotyping competition for today!
Nice one, spence

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love the old english in the poem. It makes the poem better and it gives it a more "warrior-like" feel to it, while still keeping its meaning. True, the language can distract the reader from its purpose, but if the reader takes the time to think about it, they will eventually get it. I love the idea behind this poem and how you were able to capture it with old english. Everyone is a warrior of life. We must strive to be our best and to turn away from our weaknesses! We must get up when we fall down and be above humankind's sins!
Excellent write! I do not see any weaknesses. :)
-Alaska Frost

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2815 Views
40 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on August 26, 2008
Last Updated on September 18, 2016

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing