The Chair Cat

The Chair Cat

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

A spoof on my poem "The Ne'er King"

"


Author: superfem. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. The original image may be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/superfem/3060950790/sizes/0/

 

 

 

Dear Reader,

 

     This poem is a spoof on my poem "The Ne'er King".  My wife and I currently have 13 cats, so I know whereof I speak.  Enjoy the piece.

 

          Rick

 

 

 

 

The Chair Cat

 
          Not just about any cat…
 
There in the chair the Chair Cat lies
He dreams of birds behind closed eyes
His feet faint kick, His head does twitch
He sleeps there safe, there in His niche
 
Most lazy, He, among His clique
Too tired, He, for hide and seek
There yawning mouth does open wide
No, He’ll not play, He has His pride!
 
He’ll answer not His name today
He’s resting there and there He’ll stay
He'll lay right there in Chair-Cat chair
Do what ' world will, He doesn't care
 
He snuggles there in pillow soft
His nose gives sniff, He smells scent waft
There turns, He, then His noble head
Then rests it back on His soft bed
 
He’ll dream sweet dreams, sport peaceful look
And but for sleep no thought He’ll brook
All day He’ll rest in luxury
There stretches He in majesty
 
Serene, with comforts He was filled!
No dog barks heard, no vermin killed
To rest there peaceful was His plan
The Chair Cat, He, chair’s biggest fan
 
 
 
©2009, Richard Puetter
All rights reserved

© 2013 Rick Puetter


Author's Note

Rick Puetter
Answering Sheila on the pronunciation of the word "clique". Ah yes, there are two pronunciation of the word "clique". Even my wife confronted me on this issue. However, the most common pronunctiation is "kleek" and so it rhymes with "seek". The secondary pronunciation is "klik", which doesn't rhyme, of course. I hope that clarifies things.

And while we're on pronunciation, we might as well tackle the other pronunciation issue of this poem, i.e., the word niche, which can be pronounced neech or nitch. Clearly I intend the later in this case to complete the rhyme.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Cats! We have a cat who lives with us as well and he his area and respects ours. When we give thanks for our meal he waits for us to give thanks for his then he eats. He does not have a cat litter in our home because he does his business outside and only comes in to sleep and eat. At dusk he leaves and comes back in the morning, waiting for the cycle to begin all over again. They sure are funny creatures.
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 14 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

The self contained, in-charge cat. We used to have a cat named 'Meat' who grew very big. He would lay on the arm of an upholstered chair and occasionally take a swipe at passing other animals... esp. the dogs. Just daring them to react. They never did. I imagine it was fear. A great write as usual, and I commend the classic AABB rhyme scheme. Also one of my favorite.
Peace
papaed

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very cute poem :). It makes me miss my cats :( I wish I had cats now. He sounds delightful :P.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick,

Aha, the antics of cats follow them into sleep. Clique does rhyme with seek BTW. Every cat has a mysterious, mischevious side. The imagery is great in this piece, one can almost see the feline form draped lazily across a chair, drifting in and out of sleep.

Great poem.

Mark

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great poem. Sounds like it was written about my chair cat

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God love a cat! AA BB this rhyme scheme seems to be your forte. Free verse anyone?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick:
"In ancient Egypt, cats were worshiped as Gods. They have never forgotten this" -?

This was great. I deign to share my household with two adult cats, and one is definitely a "chair-cat". He yawned at me while I typed this review! The other one is missing half her brain, so it's really not her fault. My kingdom for some catnip! I love the warm spot they leave behind when they actually do move their lazy bums off the chair in order to attend to some business. And I have a sneaky suspicion that business will one involve me being usurped as the dominant creature in my household. In the mean time, I just sigh and fluff the pillows and occasionally drop him unceremoniously on his feet while I rid the place of hair.

Brilliantly done my friend, I chuckled in recognition throughout this and could definitely feel that warm spot for a behind larger than a kitty's!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lol, loved this. I never read a cat poem without being reminded of T.S. Eliot's, MaCavity the Mystery Cat; one of my favorite poems from childhood...that and The Gingham Dog and The Calico Cat by Eugene Field. I have one cat and one dog, both males. The dog chases the cat and the cat chases the dog. The cat thinks he rules the yard and every small prey is his subject and occasionally he tries to substantiate his rule by laying claim to the dog's food. He is very sharply reprimanded for such behavior by the dog however whom I am ever surprised at for sparing his life. lol The cat follows me when I go outside and once when the dog and I went to the mailbox, he ventured along behind us and stepped directly into oncoming traffic. I didn't see him but the dog did and, risking his own life, ran in front of the car just in time to snatch the cat up in his mouth and safely deposit him back on the other side of the road. The lady in the car slowed, stopped and applauded! lol The dog was non plussed, he walked over, peed on a small bush, went back, sniffed of the cat and satisfied it was unharmed, continued playing around the yard. I do not think the dog "likes" the cat. But he is aware that the cat is my property and treats it thus, respectfully. So long as the cat keeps its distance from his food. lol True story, I wish I had a video of the event.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Most amusing, Rick! I've long asked when an aspiring geneticist would create a kitten that grew up into a dog, as I was no fan either of adult cats or puppies! But since I first thought that, I've had two cats, and I admit my shortsightedness: it is their very independence that makes them endearing to us! (Read "Catalogged" for my clarification!)
Since the question of alternate pronunciations has already been broached, I'll add kindling to the flame. I see you pronounced "niche" as "nitch", to rhyme with "twitch", but I'm more accustomed to hearing it as "neesh". Interesting that you chose the French pronunciation of "clique", but the American Pr. of "niche"!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Rick,

Ah such is a cat who is king of his chair with his musings so debonaire!

This is a delightful spoof on your poem, "The Ne'er King" as this feline is certainly much like the king who accomplished little but lived in his own style of "nothingness". Kitty kitty is really quite the creature as he delights in what is at hand and being only what he chooses to be, and nothing more....no dogs barking, no vermin to kill, just lounging in his royal chair.

Of course, meter is "right on" per A La Rick's style, but I do have one question:

Are we to pronounce the word clique to rhyme with seek, as I pronounce it to rhyme with glick?
Could the world meek we used in the line to better rhyme with seek?...just a thought.

Otherwise, I find no fault, and am delighted to read of such a "do nothing, fat cat!"

Great write!!

Best Regards,
Sheila

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a nice light and charming poem. You have painted such a vivid picture that I can see it in my minds eye. Cats certainly have their own personalities don't they! I have had a 'chair-cat' and you have really said it like it is. I love this poem. Its delightful and much ldifferent than what I've come to expect from you, my friend. But, I enjoy all of your writings, and the lessons I learn too. Thanks for sharing your keen kitty insights.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1982 Views
32 Reviews
Added on October 24, 2009
Last Updated on December 2, 2013

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing