Love

Love

A Story by Ruby Moon

Flowers are so beautiful but they die if they are picked. Nature made them beautiful but fragile and easily destroyed. This somehow only makes them lovelier as one can only look at them but may never own them. If one wants and wishes to own it that would only kill it and make it fade away no matter how much one cares for them.

 

            They belong to the earth, everyone and yet no one at the same time. They are of their own, special and unique in everyway. Everyone is like that. We are not to be own or to be another’s plaything or decoration. Everyday when we bow to another’s will we fade. A little more till one day nothing will be left of us except a shell, a ghost of who we are, a memory, an echo which will also soon fade and die out.

 

            Faded, wilted, a fragile being. Why can one never understand that? If you hold on to something too hard, it would be shattered and crushed. A sharp sting, a reminder to let go for it would only hurt you and the one you love to hold on so tight. So tight till the thing you love turned to powder in your hand. Is it not too high a price to pay to own another?

 

            What is love but a word? Is it a feeling? I don’t think so… I think it is but another player or a toy of fate and destiny like so many others. Maybe this thing called love is more entertaining and amusing then others. Does it not evoke a wide range of feelings, choices in different beings? It brings you to the darkest and coldest of places as it brings you light and warm equal to a thousand suns. Make you sour above heavens and pin you to below hell.

 

            It also grabs what it wants greedily, like a child in a candy store, giving nothing back yet it sacrifices everything and ask for nothing back. It is the extreme of all opposite and still the closest of everything and nothing. It confuses and baffles and yet it comforts and straight forward. Hurting and comforting at the same time. The strongest can fall, yet the weak may triumph because of it.

 

            It’s a parent yet a child, wise yet foolish, rash yet steady, quick yet slow, beautiful yet ugly. It changes form all the time yet always constant. It is so unpredictable and predictable at the same time. Some will say that like sea, ever changing but it will always stay the same till end of time.

 

© 2008 Ruby Moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

First of all, I love how you used a picture of bleeding hearts as the picture to accompany this work. They are a very beautiful flower. My mom has some in her garden and each year they grow bigger and better.

Very true what you say, "We are not to be own or to be another's plaything or decoration." There are far too many who allow themselves to be 'owned' and 'possessed' through their relationships. But it is not only relationships; we let so many other things control us. The example that comes to my mind is Facebook. Facebook is a tool to be used and to enjoy, but too many people let it control and consume their lives.

And I guess my following point relates to what was mentioned in Sheri's review. Love is such an important word to us, but really, we've only word for the feeling "love". The Inuit have many, many words for snow. Why don't we have more than one word for "love"? We love our parents and relatives, but we may also love our cars, pets and jobs. But it's a different sort of love. It is just one of my pet peeves of the English language I guess, that for such an important feeling, we have only one word.

And of all the feelings, Love may be the most powerful. Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love held sway not over the mortals, but the gods as well.

In closing, good job with this story-essay-thingy ^^

Posted 16 Years Ago


I'm not quite sure on this topic...I haven't 'Loved' per se as love is usually associated with a significant other. But, there are many kinds of love out there, mostly due to the person. You can love someone unconditionally (usually a parent), you can love something due to joy (a movie, a game, etc), you can just love someone not knowing how or when (a child usually seems to just love the parents from the start), you can love a friend as if they were a brother or a sister, and you can obsessively love someone. This is kind of what I perceived from this story anyway...the different kinds of love out there. How there is this one word, yet standing for so many feelings. Another 'good thinker' story. I really 'loved' it. Keep up the good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jwh
I really liked the flower analogy at the beginning. I think it's egotistical for anyone to say that they know what love is, and anyone who says different is wrong. It's a unique thing for every person, and that is why so many people can't relate to each other, and why it hurts so much when you love someone and they don't love you back....anyhow, nice story, very well written and thought provoking.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you were aiming for cliche's and there were quite a few
i liked this
it was sweet
and thoughtful


Some will say that like sea, ever changing but it will always stay the same till end of time.


nicely done :D

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love is a story best left untold, because the more I know about it, the more I am baffled by it :) Your words ring true, and remember that i also sparks the darkest of feelings when scorned. Jealousy, hatred, revenge and even WAR.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on March 4, 2008

Author

Ruby Moon
Ruby Moon

About
Interesting... I have nothing in particular I want to say. more..

Writing
1:42AM 1:42AM

A Poem by Ruby Moon


(A moment) (A moment)

A Poem by Ruby Moon