Jayden

Jayden

A Chapter by Rudy Afzal

 

Jayden

 

The law stated:

          Any extra-terrestrials who inhabit American soil following the American-Nebulous war must register with the Alien American Federation (AAF). Registered aliens who do not appear humanoid will receive a device to assist them in appearing as the dominant race. Visitors who refuse to submit to assimilation will be deported, whether to their home planet of simply out of the country. Any alien who is seen in their true form will be apprehended will be tried with treason and sedition against America. Aliens will also be required to relinquish their technology to the AAF and any aliens bestowed with inhumane powers will be given a suppressant for said powers. If these powers are witnessed by any true human, the National Guard will have to intervene to detain the law breakers.

                     L.W.

          The president, Laurence Rockwood, enacted this law just five days after the peace treaty between Merins �" Humans �" and Nebulous was resigned. The treaty stated the Nebulous, cloud aliens, were to remain in the sky and watch over the earth as if it were their own planet. Though the Nebulous are now beside the point. The main topic in America now was this new law that created great controversy between Merins and aliens.

          Some saw the president as a hypocrite, because on this press conference day he did indeed knowingly have three aliens behind him: the aliens that helped to end the war with the Nebulous. Although everyone didn’t know aliens were associated with national security, so Rockwood wasn’t known as a full-blown hypocrite. The only thing about the situation is that He was the alien behind Rockwood, directly to the left. His name was Jayden. To Jayden’s left and right were his two teammates; DeAngelo and Lucas, respectively.

          “What’re you watching that for?” DeAngelo walked into the room.

          Jayden forgot he wasn’t at the press conference at the moment. He was instead in his room reliving the conference. His room was simple; a recliner next to his bed with a television in front of both. The only special thing about his room was his wall. The wall had fire painted on it and was painted with genetically engineered paint that made the fire seem as though it was alive and breathing.

“I don’t know… I’m just…” Jayden stammered.

“You’re just nothing.” DeAngelo took the remote and turned off the T.V. “I’ve been knocking on your door for the past five minutes. Now we’re going out. Get up.”

“The law was just passed yesterday and you already want to break it.” Jayden got up and followed DeAngelo into the hallway.

Jayden had long dreadlocks that he usually kept in a ponytail. His skin was caramel colored and he had deep green eyes that changed shades with his emotion. Jayden stood about five foot ten, opposed to DeAngelo who was and even six foot. DeAngelo had short black hair, brown eyes and was a shade darker than Jayden. 

DeAngelo walked across the hall and knocked on the door next to his own. “Let’s go mate.”

A slender boy, Lucas, walked out. His hair was short, wavy, and sand colored. He wore cargo shorts and a button down shirt with a white T-shirt underneath. Lucas was shorter than the other two but not by much, and his skin was tan.

 “Where are we going?” Lucas stepped through his threshold and closed his door as if hiding something.

“Well I’m hungry and already sick of being cooped up in this hell hole.” DeAngelo walked down the hall towards the loading bay; where all the agencies vehicles were held.

Lucas and Jayden followed with the latter in the back. “I’m still not sure about this; I mean what if we get caught.” Jayden slowed his pace. “We should be training.”

“And what exactly are we training for mate?” DeAngelo halted and faced Jayden. “We, all three of us; single handedly stopped an army of cloud people from taking over the earth. And what do we get from it; a law that wants to keep us in line. A law that says we can’t do our job and save the word like we were chosen to do.”

“But…”

“But nothing, you’re sixteen and we aren’t the president’s lap dogs. We didn’t even get a thank you for saving his sorry butt.  Now we’re going out and we can do whatever we want end of discussion.”

“He’s right Jay.” Lucas crossed over to DeAngelo’s side. “We all need a break, it’s only been five days since the end we need a break from all of this.”

Lucas always did his best to keep peace between his team; he had profound thoughts for a surfer. He always looked for a deeper meaning of things.

“Fine, but we can’t break any laws guys no powers and no fighting.” Jayden hardened his face.

“Ok, but that’s going to be tough, because I love a good fight, but whatever it takes to get out of the house.”

The boys proceeded to the loading bay. The bay contained about every high-octane vehicle from boats to jets. They hoped into the all black Jeep Wrangler with no top or windows. Jayden was usually in the driver’s seat since he was the best driver. Lucas navigated from the passenger seat, he was practically a GPS. And DeAngelo was the fire power; using his powers to fend off any pursuers.

Jayden started the car and pulled down the sun-visor revealing a panel of buttons. He tapped the small green blinking one. The car started to rise with the platform it rested on. The platform stopped at the second ramp. The car rolled onto the smooth pavement, the only light in the tunnel coming from the headlights. The radio played and the other boys talked, but Jayden’s mind was on the new law. He couldn’t focus on anything that is until the Jeep made it out of the tunnel. The sunlight lit the entire Wal-Mart parking lot the held the base underneath.

 The sun was at its highest point of the day. As soon as the sun hit Jayden’s face his mind instantly cleared of all the things clouding it. His whole mood changed and he was back to his usual self. Ideas swam through his head of the things they could do, and he didn’t care about the law or the ungrateful president.

“So where do you guys want to go?”  Jayden looked at the clock on the dashboard. “It’s only twelve: we have the whole day.”

Lucas and DeAngelo were taken aback by Jayden’s sudden change in attitude.

“Can we go to the beach?” Lucas suggested.

The idea swam through Jayden’s head. He did in fact need a break; he was exhausted, and the beach was the perfect place to relax. He looked into the sky and it was empty; there wasn’t a cloud in site. He wondered what the Nebulous were up to, but quickly pushed the thought from his mind; attempting to forget about the past.

“Why not?” Jayden made a U-turn in the middle of the street and headed towards Jhara Beach.

The drive took about fifteen minutes. The roads were just as clear as the sky. The parking lot on the other was a different story; jam packed. Jayden had a tough time finding a spot not too far from the entrance. He looked around one more time and gave up when he no saw available spots.

“Just turn the camouflage on.” DeAngelo stepped out of the car.

“Yeah it should be fine.” Lucas followed.

Jayden pressed the blinking blue button and the car turned invisible blending in with whatever passed it. He saw Lucas fiddling with his watch; Lucas’ original clothes transformed into a full body wetsuit. He then pulled a pill-sized capsule from his breast pocket and threw it on the ground. The capsule expanded into a surfboard. The board contained Lucas’ ancestors coat of arms: a dragon encased in a vortex made completely of water.

“Either of you want to learn to surf today?” Lucas’ voice was optimistic and he had this look of hope in his eyes.

“I would but I don’t have the patience mate.” DeAngelo said rather dryly. “Besides I hate water; no offense or anything.”

“Yeah I’m with him on that one, me and water don’t quite get along.” Jayden lowered his eyebrows. “I’m just going to chill in the sand.”

“And I’m going to get something to eat.” DeAngelo added.

“Fine” Lucas said bitterly.

Jayden tapped his watch and his clothes also transformed. He was now wearing tank-top, khaki shorts, and a pair of flip-flops, with sunglasses.

“I’ll watch you surf though, same difference isn’t it.” Jayden alleged.

He and Lucas walked toward the beach while the latter headed in the opposite direction towards the shops.

The sand was hot as it entered Jayden’s flip-flops. The beach was full of pedestrians �" tanners and surfers, volleyball players and Frisbee throwers, sand castle builders and swimmers �" who were enjoying the warm summer day. Jayden found an empty spot that had a clear view of the water.

Jayden watched Lucas run excitedly to the water that was surprisingly dead. Usually around this time of day the waves would be thrashing on the shore but they barely swashed. Jayden laughed as Lucas sat on his unmoving board in the middle of the water with the other bored surfers. Jayden decided to lie back since there was no action. It was barely ten seconds after he had closed his eyes that…

THWACK!

A volleyball smacked Jayden dead in the face. His shades were knocked off and he sat up with a start. He looked around, enraged and eyes blood shot, for the person responsible. A girl about his age was running towards his.

Her black wavy hair dropped down to her shoulders. She had caramel skin that radiated in the sun light. She wore a red and white bikini, but Jayden hadn’t really noticed. He was lost in her deep hazel eyes. He hadn’t even heard her when she first addressed him.

“You okay?” she bent down reaching for the ball. Her voice was angelic as it beat on Jayden’s ear drums.

“Huh,” Jayden, with great effort, brought himself back to reality. “Yeah I’m fine. I’m Jayden.” He handed her the ball.

“Camille.” She took the ball and shook his hand.

They stood up, still gripping each other’s hands. Jayden couldn’t resist; he continued to stare into her eyes, and she returned the gesture. This continued for a good minute before they were interrupted by one of her friends.

“Hey Camille, what’s taking so long? A kid in swim trunks asked.

“I’ll be there in a second.” She called back

Jayden let her hand go, still lost in her eyes.

“We should do this again.” He said at a bit of a whisper.

“Definitely.” Camille said while nodding.

She drew her number in the sand.

“Text me” Camille gave one final smile before she turned and ran off to rejoin her friends.

Jayden quickly memorized the number then cleaned the sand.  He watched her play with her friends before he slowly turned his eyes to the ocean. His eyes grew wide as he saw each surfer riding the biggest wave he had ever seen. Lucas was ahead of the rest.

“I said no powers.” Jayden roared across the water.

Lucas must’ve heard Jayden; he lost his balance and wiped out. The wave collapsed on itself causing the others to wipe out as well. Jayden couldn’t help but laugh as Lucas resurfaced. He watched as Lucas walked to the shore with an irritated face as he saw Jayden’s laughter.

“Oh shut up.” Lucas threw his board on the ground and punched Jayden.

“Serves you right, I said no powers.” Jayden hit him back.

“I didn’t use my powers.” Lucas’ face was overcome with confusion.

“Then how did…” Jayden froze as he watched another huge wave form.

The rest of the surfers were pushed onto the shore. Screams erupted across the beach as five Atlantian warriors crept onto the beach/ they each held a bronze trident, and wore small crowns. Their legs were scaly and each had muscles incomparable to Jayden’s or Lucas’.

The pedestrians started to run towards the parking lot as the Atlantians started towards them. Jayden looked over to see if Camille had gotten away before he and Lucas ran straight at the warriors stopping a good ten feet in front of them. The looked even more menacing up close. Their veins were thick and green and pulsated.

The warrior in the middle smelled the air. “Step aside young Zeterians.”

“Not before you tell us what you want.” Jayden said with a calm voice.

“We are here to eliminate the Merin known as Rockwood. You stand there as if nothing is wrong, his new law affects you as well children.”

“Then you’re going to have to get through us.”

Jayden immediately regretted this as the words his lips. He didn’t really to partake in another fight, but national security was on the line; and it was technically his job to protect it. The five guards formed a circle around the two boys and aimed their tridents, which started to glow, at them.

Jayden and Lucas stood back to back, while Jayden tried to figure a way out of the situation.

“Have it your way.” Jayden said.

The warriors began to tighten the circle, aiming their tridents at the boy’s chests. Jayden’s instincts started to kick in. he pulled himself and Lucas to the ground. The clangs of the tridents boomed in the atmosphere. Jayden dropped the warrior in front of him, creating an opening to escape. Lucas followed Jayden and they distanced themselves from the enemy.

“Can we use our powers now?” Lucas dodged a thrown trident that was aimed for his head.

“I don’t see why not.” Jayden said.

Neither of the boys hesitated. Jayden’s fists erupted and were covered in fire. Lucas stretched his arm out towards the water. A stream of water shot towards his arm and they were transformed into pure water. Jayden didn’t know how either of their powers would fair against the Atlantians; seeing as they could control water as well, and water practically trumped fire, but that was their only hope. Their clothes changed into their battle suits.

The suits were made of a genetically enhanced protective silicone that adapted to their certain powers. The suit protected against most metals known to man and was bullet proof, but someone has always managed to penetrate the protective coating.

Another trident was thrown, but it didn’t reach the boys. It caught flame midair and melted. One of the warriors extended his hand and a blast of water came surging at Jayden. This was blocked by a wall of sand that erected in front of the boys. DeAngelo came sprinting to Jayden and Lucas’ side.

“Thought you could have a fight without me eh?” He said exasperated.

Ignoring this Jayden bolted at the nearest warrior and decked him with a flaming fist; leaving a burn mark. The warrior thumped onto the ground. Jayden continued his rampage; shooting fire balls at the enemy, dodging everything they threw at him. After only one was left an array of things happened at once; the final trident was thrown, and it was dodged, a torrent of fire was blasted at the warrior, which was countered by a current of water. Jayden dropped the torrent and ran into a slide towards the warrior and ended with a powerful kick to the chest, sending the warrior airborne a few feet.

“Well then.” Jayden heard Lucas say.

DeAngelo and Lucas walked over to Jayden’s victims and wrangled them into a circle.  They tied them up and Jayden pulled his watch to his face. A large man appeared on the watches face. Jayden dragged his finger on the watch and the man became a life sized hologram. The imaged faded every once in a while.

“Well what do we have here?” The man looked at the tied up Atlantians. “A couple of unauthorized Atlantians. What’s your business on the surface?”

“They were here to kill the president, Griffin.” Jayden answered for them.

“Here to kill me.” The president stepped in front of Griffin. “This is why that law was needed.”

‘“If the law hadn’t existed they wouldn’t be here right now.” DeAngelo said more to himself than anyone else.

“Well what are you waiting for bring them in.” The president said with force.

“We’re going to need an escort.” Lucas said.

“Already on its way.” Griffin pushed Rockwood out of the way. “Just get back here immediately.”

The transmission ended and the boys waited five minutes before a helicopter arrived and took the Atlantians away.

The boys walked back to the car in silence. Jayden wondered why the president was there, and he would be that’s what the other two were wondering too. The drive back was silent as well, until the secret opening to the base was reached.  Jayden parked the car before he drove into the entrance. He knew the others were thinking what he was thinking when he saw the looks on their faces.

“Ok I know we’re all thinking the same thing, so I’m just going to say it.” He turned and faced his team. “Why is he here?”

“I don’t know, but after what happened today I don’t think we can think of him as friendly.” DeAngelo said. “All of the aliens in the nation are out for his blood, we can’t keep protecting him; I’m not going to risk my life to save a man’s who doesn’t even want us here.”

“I agree with D, I never even liked him.” Lucas chimed in.

“So we’re all in agreement.” Jayden put is fist on the arm rest. “Rockwood is the enemy; any move he makes is a threat to us personally.”

“Agreed.”  The other two put their fists in the middle.

Jayden drove the car onto the platform and they walked to the command room. The president was sitting across from Griffin, who was sitting in the big chair at the head of the room. The two were talking and hadn’t noticed the boys walk into the room.

“What makes you think you can come and here and pretend you have anything to do with what’s actually going on.” Griffin spoke softly.

“Oh I don’t pretend agent Griffin, I have the right to do whatever I want with your little secret, now illegal, organization.”

“This secret organization was created by the president before you to keep order between aliens and humans. Just because you are his successor doesn’t give you the power to take over. I was given full control of this organization and no one is going to take that from me.”  Griffin was speaking calmly as the president grew hotter and hotter.

“My jurisdiction resides over all of the secret organizations that occur under my presidency. You have no power and now your organization is illegal.”

“You’re crazy, you need us.”

“No I do not need a bunch of aliens for anything.”

“Oh but I believe you do, you see what just happened today was just the start of it all. Every alien in the nation will be out for your head; there’s already a bounty on your head as we speak. And I think you need someone to protect you.”

“I don’t need your kind of protection.” Rockwood stood up with great rage. “You are here by disavowed.”

“What do you mean we’re disavowed?”  DeAngelo barged over to the table. “You can’t do this.”

“Oh children, I’ve been meaning to talk to you since we last met.” Rockwood’s entire expression changed.

“We aren’t children.” Lucas spoke bitterly.

“Oh yes, of course you’re not. Your practically adults.”

“Don’t try to sweet talk us mate. What do you want?” DeAngelo stepped into Rockwood’s face.

“We are done here Director Griffin,” Rockwood walked towards the door. “If you would boys.” He gestured for them to follow him.

The boys exchanged looks and were reluctant but followed Rockwood. He walked them into the corridor and shut the door. He had a huge fake smile on his face.

“Ok what do you want?” DeAngelo came right out with it.

“Well I want you three.” The president gestured toward DeAngelo but he didn’t allow him to touch him. “I want you three to come work for me. I don’t know what all you heard from in there, but you three don’t have to worry about that.”

And what do you want us to do for you?” Lucas asked.

“Simple I want you three to be my bodyguards.” He lifted his hand for Lucas to shake it but was left hanging.

“No.” DeAngelo said flat out.

“Same here.” Lucas joined in.

The two boys looked at Jayden and so did Rockwood. He wasn’t under any pressure. He was sure of hive answer but before he could say “No”, Rockwood tapped him on the shoulder.

“Come on kid.” Jayden felt a prick on his shoulder and flinched.

“Sure I’ll do it for you.” Jayden said with some doubt.

“What?” Lucas and DeAngelo shouted in unison. “We just talked about this and you want to go against what we just talked about.” Lucas finished up.

“Come on guys he needs us, he’d probably be dead right now if it wasn’t for us.”

“Would’ve been better off” DeAngelo said under his breath.

“Forget it kid, let’s go.”  Rockwood started walking down the corridor towards the visitor’s entrance, which was rarely used.  “Torch it.” Rockwood said just loud enough for Jayden to hear.

Jayden’s entire body erupted into flames. He sent a continuous blast towards his former team mates and the hallway caught fire. He backed away keeping the flames going. Whenever he passed a room he sent a miniature bomb into the room that detonated spreading flames to each corner of the room. When he made it to the exit he ceased and returned back to normal.

He lost all control.



© 2012 Rudy Afzal


Author's Note

Rudy Afzal
Please leave any reviews on what I can improve on and tell me what you think.
Thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks for reading, the second chapter is currently in session

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a cool sci-fi story with some creative, very original ideas! The font makes it a little hard to read though.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

269 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 16, 2012