Those Who Have Not

Those Who Have Not

A Poem by Alex McFadyen
"

A political theme regarding the lower classes hunger for more. Yes, I know it rhymes, and I know how archaic it is, so sue me.

"
Plebians - imprisoned in eagle claws,
See escape in deathly depths far below,
Chances of opportunity they cause,
Though up is the one way they choose to go.

The oppressed see power as prize to earn,
Only from sword of skill or axe of might,
Nature of Capatilism lets them yearn,
But in talons, there is no strength to fight.

But to everything, there is weakness,
Fortress not impervious to attack,
Mountains are limiting by their steepness,
But in adversity, the wanting will adapt.

They seek to tear away with edge of knife,
Strech elastic bonds beyond their limit,
Pick at knots on neck constricting their life,
Their torches are hid, but the match is lit.

But for every action is reaction,
A powerful pull is not left alone,
Crowns rest in arrogant satisfaction,
While the weak catapult into the throne.

© 2008 Alex McFadyen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Why sue? Your poem is not subversive, it is a reflection of your opinion and so rightfully. It is an account of the eternal story about the haves and the have nots. It is a brillliant style adapted to a topic that has not yet resurfaced lately despite the international financial turmoils and the hunger uprises all around the world. Dear Alex, i think you have just put into people's attention a recurrent global problem. So, for that alone, thank you!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The greatness of Capitalism is that it demands that man be the best that he can be and allows him to profit from his labor. This is his reward - to keep that which has been earned. I think it unconscienable that one individual think he has the right to demand that someone else's rewards be taken for his own. Simply put, if you don't work for it, you shouldn't have it.

Unfortunately, our country isn't pure in the Capitalistic sense; and people no longer seem to be willing to work for themselves, to be a responsible and contributing member of society. Instead, they prefer a welfare state, from which they feel they are entitled to get something for nothing.

I love the poem and its content, and the last stanza is excellent. The last two lines are profound.

I am a firm believer, however, that an individual should work to take care of himself. I don't want anyone taking care of me. Neither do I want anyone demanding that I take care of him.

I'll have children for that.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Your poem is very good...intellectual and insightful.....btw...the review that you put for my chapter "Introduction" for my book "The Revolution of Life"....I asked you to be critical and give any suggestions...not be Simon off of American Idol. Also...my age doesn't matter....yes my writing is serious...and of course I read it...I wrote it....just thought you should know that you were kind of a jerk when you said that...and I'm sure you didn't mean it as a compliment.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your imagery is great and I thought this flowed well. The subject is one that is coming closer and closer to reality. The rich ARE getting richer and the middle class, poorer. It will happen, if there is an end to this blind following. I love that last line! Barbara

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Most of your info and rhythm is excellent.... The picture is painted, I just occasionally stumble over the conjunctions.... Maybe it's just me....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Why sue? Your poem is not subversive, it is a reflection of your opinion and so rightfully. It is an account of the eternal story about the haves and the have nots. It is a brillliant style adapted to a topic that has not yet resurfaced lately despite the international financial turmoils and the hunger uprises all around the world. Dear Alex, i think you have just put into people's attention a recurrent global problem. So, for that alone, thank you!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 28, 2008

Author

Alex McFadyen
Alex McFadyen

Victoria, Canada



About
I am really into Philosophy and modern poetry. I don't read enough, but I get a decent amount of exposure. I used to write just for fun, but now I really want to improve. Feel free to tear me apart, a.. more..

Writing
CHAPTER ONE CHAPTER ONE

A Chapter by Alex McFadyen