Little Brown Box

Little Brown Box

A Story by Ragin Cajun
"

Short Story

"

The brown box that sat on the counter was a mystery to me. I never had the guts to open it. Grandma seemed to always walk in just as I had built up the courage to open it and take a peek. My mom always told me to never touch anything in Grandma’s house because everything was breakable. When my sister and I would get into it over the green toy trolley, my mom would send us into the yard for the rest of the time we were there. Out in the yard we would rough house, my sister was a lot larger than me, until it was time to go home. At home, I would have that feeling of loss like you forgot something, and would remember that I was supposed to look in that little brown box. This routine went on for years; I never had the courage to open that box. My Grandma died at 88 years old. I was 21, in college, and hadn't seen her very much that year. My mother called and asked if I could drop by the house. She and my father had been to the reading of the will, and they had something special that my grandma had left to me. I couldn't imagine what it was. It had even been years since I had been in her house. From what I could remember, everything was old and girly, what could she possibly have left me. I walked into my parents’ house and saw the box on the counter. A little warn from the years, but the same box. I walked over to the counter, mom was watching with tears in her eyes as I pushed the brass latch over to release it from its locked position. I took a deep breath; the thing that had me crazy for so many years was now in my hand. As I lifted the top, the breath left my body in disappointment.

I looked over to my mom, tilted the box, and showed her it was empty.

© 2013 Ragin Cajun


Author's Note

Ragin Cajun
Edited

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sometimes looking forward to a thing is better than having it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


But the box is the gift not what could have been in it. The mystery is now yours to hold from others for YOU have the box. LOL
Very nice.
Funny how many time our imagination is better then reality.
Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 23, 2013
Last Updated on September 23, 2013

Author

Ragin Cajun
Ragin Cajun

Lafayette, LA



About
Well I like to write. Its not always good, but thats what pushes me to get better. I'm hoping to one day be published. I don't really want fame I just want to entertain. I hope my writing does that fo.. more..

Writing
Hunger Hunger

A Story by Ragin Cajun


Paramour Paramour

A Poem by Ragin Cajun