UPPER PLATFORM, ROSSLYN METRO STATION

UPPER PLATFORM, ROSSLYN METRO STATION

A Poem by rutherford
"

One of a series of poems about my commute. I'm not satisfied with the final two lines so welcome some critical comments. I wanted to convey an irrational positive feeling for that moment.

"

De-training on the upper platform

commuters sprint
from the downward escalator


Their broken formations

rush toward the closing doors of the Orange Line
with the same desperation
as Greeks storming the walls of Troy


My escalator’s steady ascent

toward the light
converges with three beautiful women
who descend opposite

like the daughters of Demeter assigned to the Underworld.


I could be as Orpheus and rescue them

but they don't seem to need rescuing

and for that matter

I'm not much with a lyre


Instead, today is the day

when I break the surface

enter into the light

and know my good fortune is enough
to buy that winning lottery ticket.

© 2014 rutherford


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the musings here - "like the daughters of Demeter assigned to the Underworld..." - an interesting analogy. I think the concept in the last lines is good - the idea that there's always something to look forward to... though I might take out the word "winning", giving the sense of hope, with a little mystery - will he be lucky with this, too?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rutherford

10 Years Ago

Thanks Rita. Good thought to drop winning.

I had a sudden flush of irrational excite.. read more



Reviews

Sounds like a better bet than falling in love with three women you don't know when you're already married, rughterford. lol Good luck with that - you never know! Nice description of urban life. I wouldn't live in a big city for any amount of money!.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Reading this touched me into ways. The first as I began to read I kept hearing in my head "Mind the gap!" and second the last line made me laugh out loud. The overall style seemed a very sterile, a clinical observation and then last line really revealed your whole thought process of that moment you sliced out of life onto this page. The given warmhearted chuckle was like a cherry atop some cream.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael G. Smith

10 Years Ago

Where do you reside?
rutherford

10 Years Ago

Washington DC area
Michael G. Smith

10 Years Ago

Oh, okay. Never been, but my wife has.
I like the musings here - "like the daughters of Demeter assigned to the Underworld..." - an interesting analogy. I think the concept in the last lines is good - the idea that there's always something to look forward to... though I might take out the word "winning", giving the sense of hope, with a little mystery - will he be lucky with this, too?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rutherford

10 Years Ago

Thanks Rita. Good thought to drop winning.

I had a sudden flush of irrational excite.. read more
You've just ascended up from the depth of Hades; isn't that winning enough? What's irrational is that you seem to think that these exercises will help you preserve your sanity. Well, I'm here to tell you it ain't gonna work... suck on that hope-flavored lollypop and enjoy the taste of the iridescent sparkle it leaves on the tongue. So much for meter and rhyme.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I might add something like---there's more than one way to get lucky. I quite liked the movement on this one. You captured that rush for the morning train very well and then time slows down at the sight of beauty. But why three?

Posted 10 Years Ago


rutherford

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pryde, good thought. I think this one will gnaw at me a while longer until I can find the ri.. read more
rutherford

10 Years Ago

PS, I wish I cold offer greater meaning but there's no symbolism to the three -- just a literal obse.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 6, 2013
Last Updated on April 7, 2014
Tags: poem, commute

Author

rutherford
rutherford

About
Misguided visionary playing with words. Strongly encourage comments that will improve my pieces. If you friend me, I ask that you have first looked at my writing and willing to offer some helpful re.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


'Still'... 'Still'...

A Poem by Frieda P