Another day at the Riviera

Another day at the Riviera

A Story by Ryan William
"

'Some here on business, some here for pleasure, some for living, some to end their living, either way, something was always happening here.'

"

Another day at the Riviera


“Damn Jackie”
Arthur was kneeling beside a body, lying face first in a pool of their own blood.
The sound of leather rubbing came from his gloves as he slightly lifted the body’s left arm.
There were signs of fresh bruising along the wrist.
“Seems there was a fight before the execution”
A single bullet exit wound protruded from the body’s backside; the blood around the wound was still wet, indicating the death was recent.
“Think it was a deal gone wrong?” Jackie asked, kneeling beside the body, across from Arthur.

Arthur placed the arm back in position, he took a moment to just stare at the body, hoping to recreate the scenario in his mind, but elements were still lost.
An image stuck out in his mind and he glanced towards the only exit and entrance from the eighteenth story corner apartment building.
“What if” Arthur began to ponder as he started seeing a possible outcome; standing up he stepped over to the doorway
“What if he knew his killer, from the looks of the doorway, there are no signs of forced entry.”
“Like a deal gone wrong with someone close?” Jackie chimed in.
He left Arthur in the kitchen with the body and walked to the untouched living room; basic wood flooring with a long wooden coffee table dividing the couch from the television.
A few books sat in a bookshelf, filling two thirds of its shelves, alongside a window giving a living picture of the world outside the very bricks and wood they stood within.
Below was the busy traffic of a downtown metropolis, taxis, trucks, cars, valets exchanging keys with guests as they enter the Riviera's main lobby. Some here on business, some here for pleasure, some for living, some to end their living, either way, something was always happening here. There was never a silent mouse.
Jackie just starred and got lost in the motion of it all.

Arthur’s attention was pulled to the window in the living room, when the first droplets of rain banged against its glass.
He walked over to the window and examined the sidings of the building, looking for any type of emergency ladder, nothing.
While looking down however, his peripheral vision picked up on a subtle movement near the windows ledge.
Taking a closer look at the sealing, he there are three finger markings in the dust.
“What is this?” he said.
From this position, Arthur had a clear viewing of the entire entrance to the Riviera.
“He was standing right here watching….waiting, but why?”
He turned his head back towards the opening in the room connecting to the kitchen and the only entrance leading to the buildings hallways.
He was deep in thought when the sounds of a door knob turning pulled his attention to the doorway.
“You guys are quick!” Arthur said to the coroner entering the crime scene, his assistant following with a body bag.
“I haven’t even finished my deduction of the crime yet”
“Sorry boss, but the big man wanted me to pick him up before the newsletters caught wind of a detectives death, especially in this part of town.” The coroner replied while setting up the bag alongside the body.
Arthur dropped his head with a sigh “God damn journalists”.

With the body now face up in the, his features changed by the dried blood that covered his body, Arthur knelt down once last time before the coroners assistant zipped the bag shut.
“Don’t worry buddy, I’ll find out who did this” He touched his friends shoulder.
“Rest Easy Jackie”
His final goodbye being said to his partner and friend, Arthur stepped out into the world with vengeance on his mind.
“See you soon friend” Jackie replied, as he watched Arthur leave the Riviera below and cross the busy street.
“See you soon”.
A hand print made of mist lay upon the windows cold wet glass surface.

© 2020 Ryan William


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on October 16, 2020
Last Updated on October 16, 2020
Tags: Crime, Detective, Short