My America

My America

A Poem by safeuncertainty
"

This originally started as an english assignment, but it turned out to reflect a lot more of myself that originally intended. (: Enjoy.

"

To my left, I see a tired, homeless, and desperate man laying on his cardboard bed on the side of a main street. He hopes to come across a few stray dollars to pay for his food for the day. 

 

To him, this is America. He has the right to be proud of it.

 

To my right, I see a man and a woman wearing sharp evening attire, ready to attend a business dinner and talk about their vacation houses, yachts, and the spectacular colleges their children attend.

 

To them, this is America. They have the right to be proud of it.

 

Within my friends, I see apathy. It is somewhat of a miracle if I’m listened to. However, it is not just me.

 

People are selfish, and it is impossible to keep count of how many promises have been broken.

 

In technology, I see fights that could have been avoided. I see painful and heartbreaking messages sent purposely to ruin my day. I see a lack of communication and self confidence. I see weakness in the people too scared to say things to me in person.

 

People are selfish, and it is impossible to account for the tears, falling hard, soon to fade away into the pillowcase.

 

In my house, I see fighting. I see tears. I see loneliness. I see regret.

 

However, when the feuding ends and the pain subsides, I see underlying support in the people I call my family.

 

In the mirror, I see suffering. I see imperfection. I see tears. I see unhappiness.

 

However, when the new day comes, I try my best to wear a smile. No one understands just how much one smile can hide.

 

My America is limited to a few towns and cities, a few thousand people, and a few buildings and houses I see every day; I see America as the life I live.

 

It is nowhere near perfect, and it is not yet completely put together…

 

But I have the right to be proud of it.

 

 

- based on I Sit and Look Out by Walt Whitman

© 2010 safeuncertainty


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
Added on January 19, 2010
Last Updated on January 19, 2010

Author

safeuncertainty
safeuncertainty

Boston, MA



About
Hi, I'm Kait. I'm a Journalism/Media Communications major with a core concentration in Creative Writing. Help me change the world? more..

Writing