speaking of Emmet

speaking of Emmet

A Chapter by H.C. Silver

I sat down beside Michael in the tech booth
"I need some advice", I half whispered. He took a long look at the computer before him, then turned to me.
"what is it?"
"I wanna ask a guy out" I blurted. He sighed and thought about it.
"who?"
I contemplated if I should tell him. Michael and i were, after all, romantically interested in each other. We both knew, but we weren't dating. Mostly because of my religion. Recently, a religious leader advised me to keep my options open. That's what I was trying to do.
"who?" He repeated, turning back to his computer screen.
"Emmet. Emmet Klark."
He took a long time thinking about it, while moving things around on the screen. I almost thought he was ignoring me, but in one slow move, he turned back to me.
"hmmm. This isn't what I expected. Emmet's a pretty chill guy so I think he'd be down with anything. What do you have planned?"
"bookstore. But I need a driver"
Another pause.
"sorry, I don't think I can help you there" he chuckled a little, lightening up the mood. We sat in silence for another moment. Michael tilted his head in the direction of the stage
"I think they need you on stage"
I nodded and left the small room, making my way to the stage. I saw Emmet. I watched him.

I texted Michael that night.
"sorry if that was awkward"
It was about an hour till he replied.
"no problem"
That was all.

The next day, I had one class with Michael and Emmet. Michael was silent the whole class, till at last I questioned him.
"are you okay?"
"yeah" he sighed "just had a rough night". I hoped that wasn't my fault.
He looked my way, but didn't make eye contact.
"I need to talk to you sometime"
I wanted to scream, but I didn't know exactly why.
"when?" I asked
"lunch"
I nodded
"okay"
I tried to smile during class, but it seemed too fake. Michael still didn't make eye contact. I watched the teacher. I tried not to watch Emmet.

An hour later, I looked across the lunchroom to Michael. He hopped up when he saw me.
"let's walk and talk"
"okay"
I won't go into detail about what he said, but it all boiled down to one idea. He was jealous.
"I'm sorry" I kept repeating. I didn't know what else to say. We talked again at rehearsal.
"I just feel like I'm in limbo, sharing you"
again, I just said "sorry"
I didn't know how to explain my interest with Emmet. I didn't know how to explain that my interest in him wasn't romanic. Well, maybe a little.


© 2016 H.C. Silver


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on April 20, 2016
Last Updated on April 20, 2016


Author

H.C. Silver
H.C. Silver

About
I'm human more..

Writing
Meeting Emmet Meeting Emmet

A Chapter by H.C. Silver


Helping Emmet Helping Emmet

A Chapter by H.C. Silver