Old Baldy

Old Baldy

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

For Halloween. Spooky pirates.

"

Angry Pirate Vector Art & Graphics | freevector.com




Old Baldy                        by Sami S. Khalil



He paced relentlessly, affixed to rambling nervously. In his hand a long, two-edged, beat up sword was clutched with intentions to slay someone, anyone. As the ocean scourged the coast, the mayor of “Old Baldy” island (as later was renamed), a sun-drenched, knotted, grape groves dotting the landscape, was furious that someone had shaved his head bald during sleep and the darkest of hours. Although a spine-chilling realization, he never felt anything. This event will make any hair stand on end given he has none to show.

Who could do this for God’s sake? Who had the audacity to attempt such? Something bloodcurdling was happening. As he mumbled on, many of the island’s wealthy residents rushed head on as if sprinting forward from war trenches to see the mayor at his house along with his police chief, demanding answers and justice for the same calamity happened to them, whether male or female.

“Old Baldy” island had survived the civil war, the Spanish attacks and hurricanes but this one is really bizarre! “Shiver me timbers “There were few variations of their stories but the outcome was one. All became bald. As their rage was raging as the ocean, they heard bells tolling atop the fortress towers (which was a famous tourist attraction). They all rushed up to the top and, to their astonishment, they saw the former baldly hairdresser fading away in his boat. It was the same scene they witnessed and repeated few years ago, when upon discovery, he was expelled from the town to never come back. The facts revealed he was a famous, nefarious pirate, who decided to reform himself, settle down on this island in peace and quiet casting aside his past.

His business license was revoked by the mayor, when the secret was highlighted by a local carpenter, who was called one day to fix a fallen toilet (wood was rotted), discovered a hidden treasure chest in the closet (nosy indeed) laden with gold, silver coins, precious goblets and rare swords. The pirate had amassed a fortune by terrorizing the Caribbean islands with quick ambushes, stealing from many tourist ships. Local economies had suffered tremendously at his hands.

 The carpenter notified the mayor, sparing him the evidence by giving him the two-edged sword while keeping the rest of the treasure to himself. The mayor knew right off the bat who he was. Haha! Pirate was disguising as a hair dresser. The game is over. With a ruthless face that hid some tenderness, greed claimed the pirate’s lot, who had the world at his feet one day. He took many hostages, cut off their fingers and even stabbed tourists to death who were reluctant to give up their possessions. The town got together, after the facts, kicked him out once and for all.

Dejected, his downcast eyes searched for a way out and forward. He asked for forgiveness to no avail. He narrated the time when he fell off a boat, got mired in quicksand with no one in sight to help, cried out to God for help. An angel appeared out of nowhere and pulled him out. He saw that as a sign to reform,, changing bad habits, for he was given another chance but now it is taken away. He promised to reappear as he was sailing away, vanishing into thin air. Adrift, he died later from thirst and exhaustion.

Now, as they snapped back into reality, they looked to the other side of the fort where the ghostly figure of the carpenter hung on an oak tree. The pirate got his revenge and regained his treasure chest back. As the people descended back to see and tell the mayor who stayed behind making phone calls, they found the two-edged sword thrusted into his lifeless body. They felt a sentient, bald being in the room.

Town was renamed “Old Baldy” to stop the curse.        

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great swashbuckling tale, told with aplomb & panache! To a certain degree, following this story felt a little bit like watching Washington DC fall to the mighty covid sword *wink! wink*! You shove a plethora of lively details at us, non-stop, barely time to breathe, before the next onslaught of outlandishness. How could I read this & not think of our current political times? Yes, this must be a spoof on how our gov't is handling the various scourges, such as baldness & what-have-you. I love that you dug up the ole phrase: "shiver me timbers!" Great Halloween fun, but there's still plenty of October to go, so keep pumping out this rambunctious nonsense, will ya? (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hahaha. Coming from you Margie is a treat indeed and means a lot. Your writings rubbed on me as far .. read more
a swashbuckling tale with a twist. i wonder if he left a map with the location of the booty or at least a place where thinning gents like me can get some hair growth products. a case of no rogaine, but pain. at least there's some poetic justice in the skull and crossbones world ... :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. Post a pic on your profile when you do. Lol
Women like bad and tough men. Hehehe
Pete

3 Years Ago

especially men with big treasure chests (pun intended) ... :)
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Yes siiiirrrr. Hehehe . Big chest and big treasure chest.
dearest Sami... I was sitting on the edge of
the Sea... wondering how the story would end.
Many a Pirate has found treasure and sailed the Seven Seas...
in search for the Holy Shell that will bring great riches;
however, you may lose your hair. The ending is sad.
gently, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well said. Even pirates can lose hair and fortune. What goes around will come arou.. read more
“Shiver me timbers “There were few variations of their stories but the outcome was one. All became bald.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 1, 2020
Last Updated on October 7, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..