Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

Loaded guns and debates...

"

Pin on ART DECO on Paper

Smoking Guns        by Sami S. Khalil



Gunshots echoed everywhere as he was paying his dues at “The Magnum” outdoors gun range. The attending clerk handed him a liability waiver to sign, which was intended to protect the place from lawsuits if people injured themselves.

The famous range had three grounds with obstacle course as much. The first was called “The Foreground” for beginners. The second “The Middle Ground” for semi-professionals. The third carried the name “The Background” for graduates.

This range promised a truly shooting experience with an ultimate skill level.


 People did like the place as they flocked to register based on the word of mouth. It had a good safety record, but in case of bleeding injuries, there was a nearby hospital to rush them to it. Another good thing related to customers’ wellbeing is that eye and ear protections were provided.

The reason Britt was here because his dad (a retired police officer), was adamant that his son learns how to properly handle guns, while learning the rules. The first rule was to treat guns as loaded at all times. The second was never to fire the gun at the ground. The third and most important one was to always use them in self-defense.


Now, as Britt signed the liability form, it was trigger time. He was handed a burnished “Magnum 45”, assigned a highly trained instructor. While both were doing the walk and talk, the instructor commanded him to act like the preppers and vigilantes, to be ready for any fight/war scenario by an enemy attack or macho bullies. “Act fast and furious lest you be killed”, he said. “Feel the action if you are going to gain any traction.”


As they walked down the path, a Native American bust popped out of nowhere. Britt pulled his gun and started shooting. Further down, more busts emerged: space aliens, Big Foot, bears and zombies. Britt shot them all with high accuracy while replenishing his magazine quickly. He passed gleefully the first obstacle course.


As the time neared the second course, Britt could not jump the gun, but wait for his turn. This time, he was blindfolded for the training. He had to rely on his

 

senses to feel the delicate movement of his opponents. With fingers trembling, his unspoken thoughts careened around his mind with such monstrosity. As the walk and talk commenced, he would hit the target sometimes, miss other times. He needed over fifty percent to pass. Eventually he did, vanishing the fears of failure that dragged him.


He geared himself now for the hardest third course. Before the walk and talk, the instructor admonished him: “Listen Britt! Shoot them all. Dare they not rise against you. You have the right to bear arms and the right to vanish reasons.”

As they walked, a strange thing happened. Britt’s busts popped up all along the path as he shot them nervously one by one. He felt like his own assassin, or you might say character assassinator. Nothing soothed his nerves for his feelings were wrapped and swaddled by shock.


After the course ended, the instructor congratulated him on passing the test with rictus sneers. He said: “Britt! You have passed the last course. Although I saw the shock on your face, you obeyed orders and never flinched. It is not about killing the self, but taming it. Violence is never the answer. Peace, safety and justice entail you vanish this real enemy. I’m not sure if there were a grave deep enough for our egos. But go ahead, find a fitting place to bury it.


As you know, we can be blinded by hate, biases and rapt convictions. For the real battlefield is one that is not distant, but within. Ask not what guns can do for us, ask what we can do with guns. Always remember this, 

Truth is louder than a loaded gun.”  


Kurt Cobain Nirvana With Gun Painting Macabre 2 Poster by Tony Rubino



 

© 2021 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Woww interesting and creatively eloquent and powerful, loaded with wisdom, to not press triggers of violence, expressed in great metaphor and phrasing. I liked the gun rules which are very wise too, to always act as if guns are loaded yeahh man well said, all well put!!! Kudos!!

Plz do read and comment my newest poem too .

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Qow! Peace be upon you. What a wonderful review and appreciation. I can't thank you enough dear Zayn.. read more
I agree my friend.
"As you know, we can be blinded by hate, biases and rapt convictions. For the real battlefield is one that is not distant, but within. Ask not what guns can do for us, ask what we can do with guns. Always remember this,
Truth is louder than a loaded gun.”
The above lines. Real truth and thank you Sami for sharing the amazing story and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! Coming from you sir is an honor. I can't say how much I respect you and admire your presence wi.. read more
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Hello my friend. If we accept war and forget peace. We are worst than our fathers, for leaving war f.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! So true and well said.
Know you enemy and know yourself. Someone somewhere must have said this already. In the last few years since I was a more frequent contributor to the cafe, I took up martial arts and like I usually do, I through myself into it. I have garner some skill now and could defend myself rather readily against most people. And now I know, from the point of few of self defence, It is a completely useless skill.

A fine write, Sami:)


Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeeee! I did not know that. Thank you for sharing your experience and thank you kindly for this lo.. read more
I like your words of wisdom in the last two paragraphs Sami, we live in a desensitised world of violence where only the victim feels pain and on lookers just ignore or carry on as normal.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

If that ain't that truth, what is sir Mitchel? In a small way, I tried to bring a focus on that subj.. read more
andrew mitchell

3 Years Ago

I like justice. I’m all for vigilantes in a way, they get the job done. Like The Equaliser or Dirt.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. So true and well said.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 28, 2021
Last Updated on March 1, 2021

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..