The Ring Bearer

The Ring Bearer

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

Her best companion...

"

See the source image



The Ring Bearer                    by Sami Khalil



Anticipation built up like a pressure-cooker as family and friends gathered at the ‘Pavilion’, situated on a bluff overlooking ‘Black Warrior River’; a beautiful and natural setting for weddings, just a stone-throw away from ‘The Indian Mounds’, to witness the betrothal of the Snow’s only daughter Kathleen to the Flake’s only son Mark, in holy matrimony.

As the event unfolded, all the participant's eyes were fixated on the ‘ring bearer’, who happened to be Kathleen’s black lab; her precious looking and beloved dog, whom she needed as a constant companion due to her unique medical condition.

Diagnosed by dysautonomia, it affected many parts of her involuntary nervous system, triggering many life-threatening symptoms, hence the need for a dog who can read those signs and react accordingly.

At least this disease did not scuttle her hopes of marriage for she met her future husband at a hospital’s charity event, intended to raise awareness and funds for the disease.

They magically fell in love and, both being in the medical field, they found a common cause to share and a noble purpose to fight for. Kathleen loved nursing while Mark excelled as a purveyor of medical equipment.

One day as both finished their romantic dinner at ‘Side by Side’ gourmet restaurant, they both held hands and strolled downtown Tuscaloosa (window shopping) at several local shops. They stopped at Burkhalter’s jewelry shop where Kathleen felt like a child in a candy store. A one Carat, brilliantly shinning diamond ring caught her eyes, quickly falling in love with it. Mark, being astute, noticed that, so he quickly arranged for the purchase, then dropping on one knee, popping the question, holding high the ring as a trophy. Tears streamed down her face with sheer delight, making both soar up high as angels when she said: Yes!

Preparations for the wedding went fast which slalomed the snowy slopes of time in an adventurous manner. And to every guest’s delight, they marveled at the decorations done in snow flake’s shapes and colors.

Everything went smooth until that fateful day. As the dog was carrying the ‘Ring’ in a basket, it approached the wedding couple. Something went awry, dashing Kathleen’s hopes. When Mark took away the ring to offer her ‘the gift’, the dog unexpectedly bit his foot then fled away leaving him bleeding profusely.

Oh! They were all in shock as they rushed him to the hospital. At least the couple got married (saying the I do’s) by bandaging him temporarily with gauze, stopping the bleeding and, before taking him away. 

As he recovered, they both moved into their new house, purchased with a down payment, in Birmingham, AL. It was convenient, for both worked at the world-famous UAB medical center, which was not far away.

A year passed, settling comfortably together, with two cushioned jobs, Kathleen’s symptoms became worse by the day. They brought a heavy load and took a toll on their marriage. Mark was exhausted mentally and physically, could not handle the knee-jerk reactions. Compounded by the fact she could not bear him a child, he started abusing her daily, making her life a living hell. She cried a lot, missing days upon days of work.

The wind had disturbed the leaves. It is time to scatter them. The birds were missing, too. Mark filed for divorce and was granted as such. Devastated, Kathleen went about her life living miserably. She was left out to dry in fading memories.

One day, she decided to take a walk in the park. After sauntering a few, she was gob smacked. A dog approached her out of nowhere. It was ‘Frolic’, her good ole’ dog. She felt speechless as he jumped up and down at a fever pitch. Would she forgive and forget what it had done to her or reject? Things went through her mind fast. The only two on her love’s short list, other than her parents, were Mark and Frolic. As the light was diffused through the trees and, with a slight discomfort, she proffered a mighty embrace.

As she was taking it home, a man greeted her. Both eyes exchanged deep sentiments. Fast forward, her next wedding’s ornaments were done in snow and firewood. She became Mrs. Woods!    




See the source image


  

© 2021 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I truly enjoyed this story! I love dogs and they can be there for you when no one else will!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

Wowzy! So true and well said. Thank you so much dear poet for this worthy review. All rich blessings.. read more
KAREN

2 Years Ago

You're very welcome!
Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

:)..........................
dear Sami… my Heart is hurting after reading this Story. Dogs are very alert and sensitive… as many Animals have shown Care in circumstances. Thank you for sharing. Who was Mr. Woods? Love the Wedding where decorations were in Snow and Firewood. I trust your Christmas was Warm and blessed with the Manger scene… as was our Christmas. Love ❤️ and Good-Will .. tenderly, Pat

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

That would be great. Will visit soon.
Patricia Wedel

2 Years Ago

Thanks for the encouragement... "Once upon an Apple Pie Sky... I saw the Colors of Sunrise... slice.. read more
Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

I totally agree. You sure was poetical. I miss her too. Unfortunately, we lost her. Keep up your cre.. read more
Great Story Sami. I'd never even heard of that particular condition. But the dog seemed to have more than a second sense when it came to clairvoyance. Animals can often see and feel things we can't and they can warn us of danger, earthquakes and impending catastrophe. And I've always been a sucker for a happy ending. I really enjoyed this.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

Sorry. Lab dog and not lad. Typo
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

Hope your Christmas and New Year are the best, my friend. Our Christmas was just great. And thank yo.. read more
Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

Same here. You do the same. Thank you kindly. Until next time.
they found a common cause to share and a noble purpose to fight for.
SK

Posted 2 Years Ago


Diagnosed by dysautonomia, it affected many parts of her involuntary nervous system, triggering many life-threatening symptoms.
SK

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 12, 2021
Last Updated on December 19, 2021

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..