The Great Escape

The Great Escape

A Story by Sam Palenzuela
"

A women has been exiled from her society. As she runs she questions her actions and soon she finds out that she isn't the only one who wants to watch the society lose power and save all the people.

"
Fear.

Everyone has a fear. Many get over the fear, but how many have lived through it? It's been six days, three hours and forty eight minutes to be exact, since I have ran from life as I know it into the wilderness. For I did not know what life creeps between the twisted trees. What lurks before dawn break, or where I am. I'm clueless and scared just as I was the moment was born. I am a woman of many words but a woman that listens to none. As I ran with the leaves and sticks crunch beneath me, with fast panting filling the silent forest, men chased me; calling for me as if they were calling a puppy to return back to it owner. I had a chance to condone myself to silence, to surrender, to stay safe. Yet, I refused it with no hesitation. I ran until my feet could not carry not only my weight but my guilt, fear and burden. I vowed that very night I ran to welcome death as an old relative; if I was to do so, there would be no suffering. 

I ran into my house, I grab items that would save me or at least I hoped. Before I saw the torches and faces filled with sorrow and anger, I grabbed bow and arrows that I stole from the home of an elder, matches, and rope. When I fled the house I used to call home, I never looked back. I feared that I would see the child at the window calling for me to return. That child was I. 



As I walked I came across a cave, I entered the dark and murky location. I took my bow and arrows and held them at bay, not know what or whom could be lurking in the shadows. I fell asleep fast and awoke from my slumber at dawn break. I emerged from the cave and saw a clearing in the distance; my stomach growled as an angry lion, I haven't eaten since I have been exiled from my society. I saw tree that contained large red berries. I tied a rope to the back of my arrow, puncturing the succulent object. I also shot a small bird of some sort. Later that night I build a camp sight. I ignited a match I took with me and threw ot into the fire. I cooked and devoured the bird and large berry and pondered. How will I survive here? What could I possibly do? How long was I to stay in isolation from my people, was it their fault they were blinded from the truth? I began to feel sick, and light headed. I felt as if my world had been slowly taken away. I began to fade away and I hit the ground. I became enveloped in darkness and silence for an unrecognizable length of time.

When I finally arose, I became startled by my surroundings. I was in a tent with animal hide. I stared at the hearth that roared from the middle of the tent. "Three days, you have been asleep."  A woman with rags, of some sort, to make a dress you would see on a peasant. She entered with a fur blanket. 
"What? Where am I? Who are you?" 
"Peace child. Be at ease. We are on the same side!" 

I wanted to ask her what she meant by such a statement. She continues on without a second glance, "We want the society to suffer. For they have stolen my child! Everyone on this campsite wants to watch the society crumble under our hands. Their blood will be on our hands." She looked down to the ground and twirling her black locks. I was silent for the first time in many moons. Could this really be an alliance? This also would be a trap, but why? The society exiled me. They wanted me to leave so why go through this trouble to capture me. 

She handed me a dress just like hers and spoke, "Come with me. We must great a plan to save not only our life but the life all of our people have lost." Still scared yet devoted to my cause I followed her out if the tent. I examined my surroundings and was surprised at what I saw. These people were nomads. They had movable tents and hunted to survive. I walked along side with her. We entered a long house. It look very much like the council. All the seats lined up in rows, with a throne at the end of the room. It must be for their leader. Then my eyes looked upon the table with maps and object the leaders have hid from the people.  Then at that moment, I knew this is where I was meant to be. I sat in the chair beside my savior, I closed my eyes. This was the dawn of the new beginning. This was my chance to take back what was rightfully mine. 

© 2013 Sam Palenzuela


Author's Note

Sam Palenzuela
This story is based of the book Anthem, by Ayn Rand. This story and her novel one of main point of views is about survival. Anthem is a book about how the individual is more important than the group. The Novel shows Collectivism, Alltuism and egostrisim as bad aspects of Society. It is an amazing book and I am honored to be writing a story based off of it. This story is dedicated to the woman who taught me to believe in my writing, Ms.Michelle Kwon.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on April 3, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013
Tags: Survival, woods, determination, revenge

Author

Sam Palenzuela
Sam Palenzuela

Deer Park, NY



About
"When you love something doing something, don't stop until you get really good at it." -Vanessa Mae more..

Writing