that which you ask me to define

that which you ask me to define

A Poem by Kara Emily Krantz

I'm Kara, and I come from the barely-sifted soil of the Earth.

I would like to say I've always been strong, but the walls were meticulously built around me
to ensure my lack of flight.

I tried to fight it, but my light, it... was dimmed.

I was denied my Self along the way and yet moved forward as if the pain were natural and such a separation necessary.

Sometimes in the early evening when the light lay numinous upon the landscape in (just a certain way), I would allow myself to cry over my loss.

In the morning, I would move on.

I have attained accolades, and had my efforts praised, and yet along the way to Success... I stopped.

I packed my car, and with Panda by my side... I drove away. And with this return to the Earth, I came alive again. Clandestine dreams whispered to me of Change and Love, and I recalled the way the wind felt on my face, and the taste of cinnamon, and the secrets of my soul.

And I became Whole again.

Now I wish to take the gifts He has placed in me, and press myself upon the world; I have tasted reality and wish once more for the Dream, for it is filled with beauty and destiny... and has the latent potential...

to truly Be.

© 2008 Kara Emily Krantz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

lol... poetic...

Wow, great piece! This is so very deep and so incredibly detailed.

"Now I wish to take the gifts He has placed in me, and press myself upon the world; I have tasted reality and wish once more for the Dream, for it is filled with beauty and destiny... and has the latent potential..."

--I love that part. I'm pretty sure everyone wants the beautiful dream, rather than the reality we face: 'The best-laid schemes of mice and men/often go awry.' For some reason, that quote comes to my mind. Clearly, this poem really gets me thinking about the beauty of life and dreams. :P

Thank you for this poem. ^^

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Much of your poetry is about your journeying and seems to indicate difficulties and sorrows, but it is never sad or selfcentred - it always carries the antidote of hope and is leading somewhere. I love the optimism - not the silly optimism of "Oh everything will turn out OK" but the optimism of "Get up and go, take an action, follow your inclination and work things out; acquire strength from Nature and the beauties of air, wind and water", and importantly from friend, both human and animal.
This is a wonderful line:
"Sometimes in the early evening when the light lay numinous upon the landscape in (just a certain way), I would allow myself to cry over my loss."
'Numinous' is a word upon which a book could be written. You use it so beautifully here - just right.
An inspiring piece, Kara.
John

PS I loved the piece about Spaz.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your prose is highly reminiscent of your poetry, and I cannot help but remark at the beauty of the two merging. It's a narrative, but so philosophically and beautifully told, that it might just well be free verse in its beauty. What I love about everything you write is that it appeals not to one's mind, nor one's heart, but to a person's soul- the innermost core being that defines us to be truly human. You really do have a way with words that others could never emulate- and for this, I am what you could consider a fan of your work.

Keep writing, and thank you for your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very awesome work! I loved the whole feel of this...just amazing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I packed my car, and with Panda by my side... I drove away. "...

this is humorous, telling and crafted.
stealing the moment away, kara, this is a testiment writing in a most
subtle of ways, takes the reader on the right and puts them in the passenger seat,
exploring the open road, beautifully done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think you summed up your grand adventure perfectly in this piece.
Makes me wonder just how many people stick themselves in that rut of life and never journey forth to find the vibrance of existance as you have.

May Change be the constant and life always shine brighter around each corner.

Your Friend,
Aaron Maycroft

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am so glad for who you were, who you are, and who you are becoming... You are alive and sharing your life with the world. And long after my life is gone, yours will continue through your magnificent words of hope and challenge. So glad you are here!!!!!!

Craig

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a fine piece of writing, uplifting and all at once wonderful. I am new to this site and it seems you have been posting here for some time now, it also seems that you by far must be one of the best writers here by my estimation. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work as I have so much to learn. In this piece these lines spoke to me the most;

"I packed my car, and with Panda by my side... I drove away. And with this return to the Earth, I came alive again. Clandestine dreams whispered to me of Change and Love, and I recalled the way the wind felt on my face, and the taste of cinnamon, and the secrets of my soul.

And I became Whole again."

I like the way you personified Change and Love by capitalizing them and the bit about the "taste of cinnamon" is quirky and unexpected...overall great stuff.

Satine


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I saw the narrator reborn in this poem like a bird leaving a nest that was not a good place to be and taking flight. While up there on the wing, the narrator saw the world and found herself a new world--a good thing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Kara, hugs girl!!! This is beautiful! It's like a glimpse into the diary of a girl, her path to freedom and how she found it. It makes me want to pull up a chair and have you tell me all that you learned. Self-discovery, letting go, and everything else I can imagine from this write. Subtle and honest. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nicely done. Nice pacing, imagery, alliteration, and tenor.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

741 Views
21 Reviews
Added on August 11, 2008
Last Updated on August 11, 2008

Author

Kara Emily Krantz
Kara Emily Krantz

http://karaemily.wordpress.com, MA



About
I am resolved to never be content with the lives of "quiet desperation" which so many of us lead, to continuously challenge myself, and forever walk in Beauty. I like pandas. I like writing poe.. more..

Writing