How It Started

How It Started

A Chapter by sarah04h
"

(Chapter 1)

"

I walk into the bar, sitting in my seat and asking Sean for his special vodka shot. As the liquid slides down my throat i close my eyes, feeling the pleasure of the burning inside me. My throat feels like it’s been set on fire, but in an instant it vanishes and i’m back to normal, looking in front of me to see Sean staring at me with an amazed expression evidently set across his face.

People walk up to the bar to order drinks but he’s transfixed, his whole body frozen and his eyes looking right into me. I shifted in my seat, uncomfortable, looking around to stop the awkward atmosphere that had appeared between us.

The pub was small and dirty along with a strong smell of bleach. A window was broken and had been boarded up with black sticky tape. It was nothing special, but the company was good. A lot of regulars came here, all big and threatening on the surface, but after a few drinks they were as soft as a baby, rejoicing in old stories and singing songs round a table of empty glasses and beer mats. There were none there at that moment, but the sun was still in the sky. They had lives to live.

I asked Sean for another which broke him out of the spell. Nodding and smiling, he attended to my order and placed my second vodka shot in front of me. This time it looked larger. Sean smiled at me, and i began to get the impression that he was testing me.

Sean had no hair, shaved my choice, but his appearance added to his masculine character and dark throaty voice. He always wore plaid shirts and dark trousers, this time looking dashing in red. His dark brown eyes once again stared at me as i took the glass and drained it in a matter of seconds. As i swallowed i heard his laugh. It went straight through me, making me shiver.

As i placed the shot back on the table i looked back at him, waiting for him to talk. His eyebrow raised as his eyes looked at the empty glass.

“Do you know what was in that?”

“Vodka?”

He laughed again. Slowly i felt the alcohol run through my body. I smiled. It was slow, but it was working.

“More than that. It’s the strongest drink i’ve ever made.”

I nodded. He frowned, surprised at my lack of response.

“You took it like a shot of water.”

Nodding again, i smiled, asking for another. He thought about it, then decided against it and shook his head.

“You’re the bartender, not my mother.”

“And you’re forgetting whose paying for these drinks.”

That shut me up. I looked down at my empty glass and examined it curiously. And with boredom.

Sean tended to other customers and came back to me. He leaned forwards and looked past me over to the corner of the pub.

“You see that guy?”

I turned around. Sitting with his back facing us was a dark haired man, possibly in his twenties. His clothes were average, along with his drink. The average beer which was fairly cheap.

Sitting around him were men of all ages and heights, each holding two drinks and scooting closer to him. There was a pad of paper and a pen on their table. Turning back to Sean, his eyes darted side to side between the man and me.

“He challenges people. Drinking games. All those guys make bets.” He paused, his lips forming into a smile. Before he spoke i knew what was coming. “You could drink them all under the table. Maybe not now, you’ve had two of my most powerful shots.” He smirked, proud of himself. “Come back tomorrow. And you never know, you might be able to pay the imaginary tab you owe me.”

“I’ll think about it.”

He nodded, making sure i was serious.

“Do.”

“Okay.”

I reassured him consistently before talking to him about menial matters. Sean loved to talk, and i preferred to listen.

The hours passed swiftly and soon i said goodbye, walking home alone and in the company of darkness. The shots were slowly kicking in, seeping slowly from my body and up into my mind. The memories and thoughts started to disappear, being replaced by a false confidence. My walk grew slower as my body moved more freely, as if i was in a movie and strutting along to the music in the background. Around me was nothing but black, with a faint outline of houses. All the lights were out but one a mile away. It was the light that would always guide me home.

As my hands fumbled around for the door handle, i opened it slowly and carefully stepped into the house. Walking through the kitchen my eyes fell upon a broken glass on the windowsill. Tiny shards sat on the largest piece, shining brightly as if to tempt me.

Walking over, i picked up a shard and ran my finger across the point. It was sharp. The alcohol in my body was taking over the thoughts in my mind. I could feel myself in a trance.

Quickly i returned to reality. The glass fell back down into the pile as i walked upstairs, crying as i slide under the duvet and once again wishing for what i knew wouldn’t come true.



© 2012 sarah04h


Author's Note

sarah04h
Ignore 'i' - Grammar will be corrected later.
Love to hear your reviews. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on September 16, 2012
Last Updated on September 16, 2012
Tags: hope, depression, suicide, self harm, action, adventure


Author

sarah04h
sarah04h

United Kingdom



About
Student. Forever fangirling over Emma Stone, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Hardy and Adam Gontier. As you can probably tell i'm a Tumblr Addict. I want to be able to write something people will love. Who wil.. more..

Writing