Aidan: Green

Aidan: Green

A Chapter by Sarah

Tuesday, December 19 2215, 06:29, Moruya, the Commonwealth of Australia


I hop out of the cab and take off towards the blonde girl in a state of frenzy.

Her figure glows white and bright, swiftly flying across the golden sands. Her wavy hair, long and loose with streaks of brown, is a tangle of mess flying around with the wind. She moves towards the Tasman Sea, smoothly and gracefully, like a ballet dancer twirling across the stage.

It is not until I get closer that I realize who she is. Despite the unusually disheveled appearance and frantic look on her face, I see the unmistakable soft blue of her eyes and recognize her instantly. I feel a cold hand clutch my weakening heart. Adrenaline shoots through my veins, making me run even faster.

“Liliane!” I scream. “Stop!”

The girl reaches the rails but I am too far to stop her. Or so I think. She turns to face me, briefly, but gives me enough time to catch up. Her hands are on the rails, her body rearing backwards to prepare for her leap. I lunge forward in one desperate move and grab her wrists, yanking both of us backwards with my force. My leg catches hers and she falls before I do. Her head hits the ground and her eyes snap shut. Water breaks out in frantic ripples, telling me it’s far from over.

I sink downwards into a sitting position, exhausted. I have just saved my classmate, and I don’t feel proud at all. Forget Albury, forget prison breaks. Forget escaping the country. My problems can’t compare to those that one must have in order to attempt suicide.

Liliane comes back to consciousness and jolts upright, head turning to observe her surroundings. Her breath is jagged and she is desperately trying to calm herself down. Then she turns to face me.

“Are you okay?” I ask, before cursing myself for such a stupid question.

Her eyes narrow and her brows come together, as she searches her mind for a logical reply to my enquiry that would not reveal her reason for attempting suicide.

“Shouldn’t you be in prison?” When she speaks, her voice is replete with cold and bitterness.

It’s like being slapped in the face. “Look, I understand. You have problems that led you to do what you have done. But I do too. Now I’m trying to help you, and it’ll be best for both of us if you cooperate.”

She purses her lips, considering this for a moment. Then she comes to a conclusion.

“You want to escape Australia,” she says. I nod. “You want to know why I’m… whatever you call it.” Again, I give a nod for confirmation.

There is a pause. Liliane sighs. “Where are you planning to go?” “New Zealand,” I tell her.

“I’ll come with you. I’m on the run now. I don’t care who I’m with, even if it’s someone as cruel as you,” she says indifferently, getting up. “Deal?”

“Deal,” I respond.

I follow her like a shadow. It is strange, interacting with this girl. She changes her mind as fast as lightning strikes. It is never possible to know, for sure, anything about her. But then again, we are both doing it for ourselves, aren’t we?

~

Tuesday, December 19 2215, 06:45, Moruya, the Commonwealth of Australia


I’m on a plane.

It’s a miracle how I got here, considering the fact that I should be in prison, like Liliane said. Yet with a little talking and perhaps a bit threatening Liliane has successfully gotten us through immigration barriers and flight gates.

We occupy the last of the first class seats, where few people can see our faces clearly. In front of us, a businessman dressed in black all over is fiddling with his glasses.

I look around at the wide velvet patterned seats, the magazines on the smooth plastic tables and the view outside the oval window. It’s a beautiful city, Moruya. One so close to nature but also having its links with modern society.

Liliane’s face is blank, staring out of the window on her right. I decide to carry out my interrogation.

“It’s the first time I’ve been on a plane,” I say, offering a kind smile. Her head snaps around and she hisses, “No need for small talk.”

Okay, okay. I lean closer discreetly. Without a thought I ask, “Why did you try to kill yourself?”

She turns away. “My sister’s dead,” she says dreamily, voice drifting away.

I freeze and stare at her in shock, eyes wide, mouth hanging open. My pulse, which had been sounding quite vigorously just minutes ago, seems to have ceased its beating.

A deep breath. Then:

“How?”

The simplicity of the question jerks her out of her reverie. “Dad killed her,” comes the reply. My heart stops for the third time this day.

Liliane twists in her seat to face me fully. The words tumble out in a rush.  “She was poisoned. I don’t know how, but I knew this would happen. Dad did it. He was sick of her. Plus he’s running for President. The ACP is pressuring him to tour around the country. He can’t do it if Hayley’s still around.”

Her eyes begin to well up, silent tears about to pour out but firmly held back by grim willpower. From what I know about her, Hayley is the center of her life. If she knew her sister was going to be murdered and she couldn’t prevent that from happening…

I decide to change the topic. “You got any relations in New Zealand?”

She frowns, thinking hard. “A couple of military officials. Some police officers, I guess.”

We can work with that. I take a pen and pieces of paper from the seat pocket, and list out our choices. Grab a fake passport and bribe some officials. Even better, the New Zealand government may be willing to help us.

After all, it’s not like nobody cares what’s going on in crappy Australia.

~

Tuesday, December 19 2215, 13:58, Auckland, New Zealand


Auckland: the result after fusing city with country. Packed with beautiful scenery, beaches kindled with invigoration and the hustle and bustle of downtown metropolis life, this city is vibrant with energy, hope and your wildest dreams. The sky is nature’s masterpiece, a painting of tranquil cerulean blue, vitalized by white beds of cotton cradled high up in the heavens.

The landscape brings up memories and sparks my thoughts. Green, the color of healing, is everywhere. Mountains of fern green and grasses of light green. Leaves of moss green and forests of Hooker’s green. It’s like a salve for my turbulent mind.

It’s been a hectic day. Both Liliane and I need a rest. We walk down the streets with uncertain steps. We glance at the shop windows and see our uneasy reflection. Upon nearing our hotel, I turn my head repeatedly, looking for specks of green, my only solace.

I see none, and wonder what will become of us.



© 2012 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on August 19, 2012
Last Updated on August 19, 2012


Author

Sarah
Sarah

Moscow, Russia



About
Hi! I'm Sarah, I'm 13 and I'm a chocoholic. And I love writing (well I wouldn't be here if I didn't). I'm best at short stories and novels (unless I get tired with the plot). Poetry -- don't even ment.. more..

Writing
Aidan: Purple Aidan: Purple

A Chapter by Sarah


Liliane: Orange Liliane: Orange

A Chapter by Sarah


Aidan: Red Aidan: Red

A Chapter by Sarah