Gaia

Gaia

A Story by Mae Arrowood
"

Short story on nature, and the reconnection humans must gain with it.

"
She stood in the shallow brook, chilled water nipping at her feet as she held the bundles of her skirt in her small hands. The wind embraced her and the sun kissed her cheeks, inspiring bronze flames to trail in her hair. She closed her eyes only to hear the laughter of the stream, and memorize the chants it sang. Inhaling, the smell of rich soil and wild flowers enticed her, society only a distant remembrance cast over her shoulder. Leaves rustled, creating a rhythm to accompany the heartbeat of mother earth. She knelt in modest genuflection, then bowed to kiss the ground. 
With one swift turn, she began to dance. The rhythm hypnotized her, weaving a connection greater than that of life and death, until she wasn't sure which beat was her own heart. Turning faster and faster, she threw her hands up, praising the sky and froze. As she rested, she looked down only to find roots trailing from her heels into the earth. Her skirt had turned a rich brown, her eyes a vivid green. She smiled in a most tranquil manner, and raised her hands eternally to the sky.

© 2015 Mae Arrowood


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on April 10, 2015
Last Updated on April 10, 2015
Tags: nature

Author

Mae Arrowood
Mae Arrowood

About
I am in college just trying to figure everything out, and the best way to do that is through writing. So help me figure things out guys more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Mae Arrowood


Rivers Rivers

A Poem by Mae Arrowood