Tainted Ground

Tainted Ground

A Poem by Maxinne Marie
"

The past. The fear. The haunt.

"

Fear embraces me tonight. Its burning coldness commands that I close my eyes and hear the silence of its screaming. It’s the fear of what is to become when I am haunted by what had been.

 

I understand that she is but a shadow, yet her presence lingers. She had painted their story in shades of gray, leaving him wondering amidst the cold fog in the middle of a broken road, until he finally saw her silhouette beyond horizons in the sunset.

 

And in the stillness of the black nightfall, I was standing right behind him. I felt the same ray of light from the golden moon that kissed his face. I heard the same wordless narrations of the galaxies that he was intently listening to. I saw the same streaks of fire across the dark skies that he was gazing upon. I breathed the same frost that hovered in the wind.

 

And it was then that I understood the truth about their sunset. It was meant to let me and him see the beauty of the night and realize that everything that was not meant to last led to something far more beautiful - a story that was never meant to end.

 

And now I am here, his hands holding mine, his mere presence keeping me alive. He listens to my voice as I sing to him the melodies of my soul. And I could stare at his beautiful eyes forever.

 

But the haunt seeks me still. We are standing on the same ground that is tainted with the color of the past.

 

I want to be strong enough for him. I want to be brave enough to break the invisible darkness hovering above my purple skies.

 

Yet I remain his one-winged shadowed angel, so fragile on the inside. He is my one-winged light-clad hero, so pure for our flight.

 

One day he shall fight away all of my fears. The haunt shall evanesce and the sapphire sun shall touch this earth. And with one kiss, the flight shall begin. Our magnificent sunsets will lead to a wondrous starry night, our starry nights shall give way to a glorious daybreak, and still he will find me staying by his side. I shall always be with him and he, with me through eons of twilights and sunrises, to touch the soul of the stars with my songs and his strength, my musings and his visions, my words and his dreams.

 

Fear embraces me tonight. The haunt seeks me still.

 

He takes my hand, and he hears my song.

 

 

 

© Maxinne Marie

January 26, 2008 @ 09:00 PM

© 2014 Maxinne Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thanks for the review guidance; I like when writers have specific things they want feedback on, rather than wanting 40 'wow, great story' comments.

1. I think so. Once you've read the whole poem, you come to understand that there was a break in the relationship at some point, so I guess on the second read, that sentence would provide the clue. In terms of first read-throughs, it gives the impression of him being alone due to the language, so I guess so - I didn't pick up on it, but with your explanation it makes sense.
You'll probably want third and second opinions on this one, as I am clearly just dumb.

2. They're both looking up at the sky, and it's making them reflect upon the same things; possibly something very profound, or possibly - "narrations" - thinking back over their relationship, their story; asking the stars for guidance [in a figurative way].

3. It's kind of melancholy, but I had the sense that these two characters had come through some great test of their love for one another and made it through, which strengthened them as a couple, so it was also uplifting. Kind of like if you've watched a movie where some of the main characters have died or suffered, but there's a 'happy' ending - mixed emotions.

4. Although he has suffered due to the problems in his relationship with the aforementioned "her", this new relationship has emerged because of those problems, which...ah, basically there's a silver lining to every cloud...and this one is the Real thing, whereas the other wasn't Love, as he perhaps had assumed.

5. Not completely but, again, with your explanation it works so it might just be that I didn't pick up on it. "strength" and "visions" is all we're given for him...athletic and artist, yes...singer, no because it says "my songs" rather than "his" or "our"...writer, maybe because "visions" could be considered as implying that he pens philosophical reflections...but when it follows from "my musings", the narrator sounds like more of a thinker and he more of a passive observer or dreamer.

6. Yeah, pretty much.

Nice story. Thanks for posting it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

On a tainted ground, there is a rubble of light that disturbs the darkness.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The first time I am to see a review guideline, very interesting and thank you.

How did it make me feel?
Saddened in a way, that a past will always grip a today, until we let it go, and I loved the show of
unity, that together this love will win and move on................

Your descriptive writing is beautiful...........your fear apparent.
Love can be a test of strenght................

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanks for the review guidance; I like when writers have specific things they want feedback on, rather than wanting 40 'wow, great story' comments.

1. I think so. Once you've read the whole poem, you come to understand that there was a break in the relationship at some point, so I guess on the second read, that sentence would provide the clue. In terms of first read-throughs, it gives the impression of him being alone due to the language, so I guess so - I didn't pick up on it, but with your explanation it makes sense.
You'll probably want third and second opinions on this one, as I am clearly just dumb.

2. They're both looking up at the sky, and it's making them reflect upon the same things; possibly something very profound, or possibly - "narrations" - thinking back over their relationship, their story; asking the stars for guidance [in a figurative way].

3. It's kind of melancholy, but I had the sense that these two characters had come through some great test of their love for one another and made it through, which strengthened them as a couple, so it was also uplifting. Kind of like if you've watched a movie where some of the main characters have died or suffered, but there's a 'happy' ending - mixed emotions.

4. Although he has suffered due to the problems in his relationship with the aforementioned "her", this new relationship has emerged because of those problems, which...ah, basically there's a silver lining to every cloud...and this one is the Real thing, whereas the other wasn't Love, as he perhaps had assumed.

5. Not completely but, again, with your explanation it works so it might just be that I didn't pick up on it. "strength" and "visions" is all we're given for him...athletic and artist, yes...singer, no because it says "my songs" rather than "his" or "our"...writer, maybe because "visions" could be considered as implying that he pens philosophical reflections...but when it follows from "my musings", the narrator sounds like more of a thinker and he more of a passive observer or dreamer.

6. Yeah, pretty much.

Nice story. Thanks for posting it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Enjoyed this very much. Very poetic, and wonderfully penned.


Great Write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!

Stats

430 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on November 12, 2014

Author

Maxinne Marie
Maxinne Marie

Iloilo City, Western Visayas, Philippines



About
The Flightless Angel Maxinne Marie Belo Sentina. Portrait photographer, beauty/fashion blogger, aspiring musical theatre singer, poet, mermaid, RN. Graduated from West Visayas State University. Loves.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..