Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by schiger

“Jax! Hey, it’s me.”
“Hey, Zee. What’s up?”
“Nothing much. I’m stuck in traffic, and since I haven’t heard from you in 
a while, I figured I’d call.”

“It must be, what, five in the morning there?”
“Six. All this time, and you still can’t get the time zone thing right.” “You know maths wasn’t my strong suit.”
“True.”
“So where’re you going at six in the morning, then?”
“Early call. We’re shooting on the beach this morning, and the permit’s

only good till eleven or something.”
“They making you wear a bikini?”
“Yeah. I’ve been living on apples and celery for a week. I’m telling you, 
once this scene is wrapped I’m heading to the craft table and gorging myself on M&Ms. But what have you been up to?”

“Oh... nothing much. Was doing a bit of painting and that, but that’s dried up, so I’m looking for work.”

“Any luck?”
“If there was, I wouldn’t still be looking, would I?”
“True. Sorry. That was stupid.”
“No. I’m sorry I snapped.”
“So, I was thinking: How about if I come to visit?”
“Visit here?”
“I could come down to Billicombe, or you could meet me in London, or

we could go someplace different altogether. Want to go to Paris?” 

“Paris?”

“Just a suggestion. I don’t care where, really. It’s just I haven’t seen you in almost a year and I really miss you.”

“I miss you too.”
“You could at least try to sound like you mean it.”
“I do.”
“I know. So what do you say?”
“Well, I can’t really afford to go anywhere right now...”
“My treat.”
“Don’t you think I’ve taken enough dosh from you?”
“This would be a gift. And it’s as much a gift for me as for you. I really

want to see you. And I could use a vacation.” 

“Listen to Miss America. ‘Vacation.’” 

“Okay, I could use a holiday as well.” 

“Everything okay?”

“Oh yeah. It’s just that I haven’t been anywhere non-work-related since I came over to see you last December.”

“Yeah, and that was a right little holiday, wasn’t it?”

“It was for me. Jax, I miss you. I miss hanging out with you. I miss all the stupid s**t we do together. I even miss your stupid dog imitations.”

“Hey, they’re not stupid. It took years of practice to master that portrayal of Lassie.”

“So I can come? Don’t make me beg like a pesky little sister: Mum, Jax won’t play with me.”

“Okay.”
“Really?”
“You tell me when and where, and I’ll be there.”
“I’m thinking the week of Thanksgiving. We have a break from filming

then.”
“Let me know the date and what airport to meet you, and we’ll do it.” “Really? Oh my God, I’m so excited. I cannot wait to see you! If we meet 
in London we can go to the Tower. Remember when we went when we were little, and you told me that sometimes visitors were followed out of there by the headless ghost of Anne Boleyn, and I kept looking over my shoulder the rest of the day, and Mum thought I had some sort of twitch in my neck?”

“Yeah.”

“I can’t wait! Oh, yay, the traffic jam is finally breaking up. Christ, it’ll just be nice not to have to drive for a week.”

“Thanks, Zee.”

“For what?

“You know... everything.”
“Hey, you’d do the same for me.”
“You’d never get yourself into the s**t I have.”
“Well, what’s done is done. Okay? Listen, I’ve got to go, we’re really

moving now. I’ll call you once I’ve got my ticket. I love you, Jax.” 

“Love you, Zee.”


That was the last time she spoke to her brother. 



© 2012 schiger


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on November 15, 2012
Last Updated on November 15, 2012


Author

schiger
schiger

CT



About
A writer and editor for more years than I care to admit, I published my novel "Beyond Billicombe" in September 2012. Previously I wrote two children's nonfiction books for Scholastic, not to mention s.. more..

Writing