Shady Shoals

Shady Shoals

A Story by Sarah J Dhue
"

Just a short I came up with, hope it's suspenseful.

"

       "This is Karen, sorry I can't get the phone right now. Please leave a message at the beep."
       "Hey, Karen, it's Todd. I'm on my way out now, hope you're available when I get there. Love ya cuz, bye!"
       Todd Travers hung up his cell phone as he drove down the country road. A sign off to the side of the road read "Shady Shoals  67 miles." No one else was on the road, going in either direction. Shady Shoals was a small town, if you could call it a town, in the middle of nowhere. His cousin, Karen, had invited him out and he had to decided to come, despite the fact he would probably be surrounded by cowboys.
       "Shady Shoals  15 miles." The road's emptiness was eerie, shouldn't someone be going somewhere. But it was an old country road in the middle of nowhere. "Welcome to Shady Shoals."
       The houses were brick and the driveways were long and covered in gravel. All the cars were parked in driveways or on the side of the road. No one was outside, no one was going anywhere. He pulled into a driveway behind an Aveo. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed Karen's number.
       "This is Karen, sorry I can't get to the phone right now. Please leave a message at the beep."
       "Hey, it's Todd, I'm here now, so I'm gonna try the door." He got of his car and walked up the steps to her front door. He knocked once. Twice.
       "Karen?" he said, turning the door knob and pushing on the door. It didn't budge. He pushed again. It moved slightly but wouldn't give. He decided to try the neighbors' house, maybe they would know where Karen was.
       He walked across the yard to her neighbors' house. He knocked on the door. Once again there was no answer. He tried the door knob. It turned easily and the door opened. He walked inside. The TV was all static and the living room was empty.
       "Hello?" he yelled, looking into the kitchen. The table was set for three, a boiling pot sat on the stove. Water was bubbling over the edge onto the floor. He rushed over and turned it off. He turned around and went up the stairs. He found a bathroom to his left. To his right was a room with a queen bed and a photo of two young people, a man and woman, smiling.
       Further down the hall on the left was a room with a small bed with Hotwheels sheets. On the floor was a Lincoln Logs cabin with cowboys inside and indians surrounding the outside. A door at the end of the hall led to an attic. Todd headed up the stairs. He found a dusty, unused room. Nothing. No one.
       He left the house and went across the street to another house. He knocked on the door. No reply once again. This door was locked. There was still no sound, no driving cars, no children playing. No dogs barking or lawn mowers. It was surreal, wrong. He ran back across the stret to Karen's house. He kicked the door. It creaked. He kicked it again. The wood began to give way. He kicked again. The door's hinges broke, leaving the door swinging loosely.
       He walked inside. The house was quiet, nothing was on, no stove. No TV. No radio. Nothing. He noticed a picture of himself and Karen, smiling in graduation caps. He headed up stairs.
       "Karen?" he said, looking around nervously, "Karen!?" Her bedroom door was ajar, revealing a mirror mounted on a dresser. He saw a dark haired, scared young man staring at him. He turned around and saw the bathroom. The mirror in there was cracked, making his face appear jagged.
       He went back down the stairs and into the kitchen. Bread and deli meat was set out on the table. Two plates set in front of two chairs. He went out the back door and into the yard. A lawn mower and water hose set outside the door to the right, to the left set some galoshes. And for the first time, he saw something move, along the treeline at the far end of the lawn. It was shadowy, it looked almost human, but he couldn't make it out.
       "Hey!" he yelled, "Hey!" The thing darted into the trees, becoming lost in all the green and brown. He pulled out his cell phone. He had to call someone, anyone. Where was everyone who lived in Shady Shoals? "No Signal" flashed across the screen.
       Just then a hiss erupted from Karen's TV, as it came to life, static dancing across the screen.
       "I see you..." a voice said from the other end of the lawn. Todd spun around to see the shadow gliding through the trees, towards him, "I see you..." It was picking up speed. He turned around and ran into Karen's house. He locked the back door behind him and ran up the stairs. He ran into Karen's room, closing the door behind him, he propped a chair against it. He began to dial the police station.
       "I see you..." a raspy voice said, just below him, on the first floor.
       "We're busy right now. If this is a true emergency, call 911."
       "Hello, my name is Todd Trav fzzzzzzz it knows I'm in here so I have to be quick. I'm in Shady Shoals, at fzzzzzzzz on Parker Str fzzzzzzzzz it's in the fzz house fzzzzzzz it knows I'm in fzzzz ere I think it wants fzzzzzz urt me fzzzz don't know fzzzz ut it is fzzzz it's right outsi fzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
       "To replay this message, press one"
 

© 2009 Sarah J Dhue


Author's Note

Sarah J Dhue
Hope you enjoyed it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

O.o Im scared...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

reminds me of Silent Hill, the scariest video game of all time [ =

good write

-Aaron

you should turn this into a book [ =

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 1, 2008
Last Updated on January 1, 2009

Author

Sarah J Dhue
Sarah J Dhue

In the author's lair, IL



About
I am Sarah J Dhue. I am an author, as well as a photographer & graphic designer, currently going to school for web design. I've been writing since I was in elementary school. I live in Illinois. My f.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sarah J Dhue