I let it go

I let it go

A Poem by realmwriter
"

A letter to my 13 year old self.

"

They where all saying what they wanted to be when they grew up

They all wanted to be doctors  and lawyers and policemen

Nobody ever wants to be a drug addict when they grow up they claimed

I was joking when I said I wanted to be homeless when I grow up.

 

It's okay, you didn't know, you were just a kid

You might have become homeless, but you're not now.

You've got two kids, both girls, they love you dearly

Really! It's okay. So what if it didn't turn out quite the right way.

 

So you weren't able to fulfill that promise

You know what? Your brothers and sister still love you.

You never know, you might still be able to go to Disney World some day

It's okay, you didn't know, you were just a kid, you can let it go.

 

So you got picked on a lot in school

Now look at you, you makes the ladies drool

You stood up for yourself, they didn't win

It's okay, you didn't know, you were just a kid, you can let it go.

 

So you had a few hard knocks

And you got your a*s whooped a lot

Dad was only trying to teach us, you didn't fail

It's okay, you didn't know, you were just a kid, you can let it go.

 

Now look at you

You made it through

You're a man, a damn good one too

It's okay, we didn't know, I was just a kid, I let it go.

 

© 2014 realmwriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is wonderfully sincere. It is hard to think sometimes of who you were and who you wanted to be. I wanted to be something I don't even believe is morally right anymore -- I wanted to train marine mammals. It was something I didn't understand to be cruel, it's just that I loved those animals so much I wanted to be close to them. One thing -- the first line I think you meant were instead of where.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

realmwriter

9 Years Ago

I did indeed mean we're. Thank you for pointing that out. You know I'm not so sure that there is any.. read more



Reviews

This is amazing. Very touching and inspirational. You went through a lot but at the end you a loving family which makes it all better. Everything never turns out like a story planned and written out. That's the beauty and the tough part of life. I wanted to be a surgeon but that didn't happen like all the people who know what's and how's of their future.
Nice to see you used you and we thing as well. Nice to see you make ladies drool and also became a damn good man :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


realmwriter

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much. That really me and a lot. Glad that you like it.
Sindu

9 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
This is wonderfully sincere. It is hard to think sometimes of who you were and who you wanted to be. I wanted to be something I don't even believe is morally right anymore -- I wanted to train marine mammals. It was something I didn't understand to be cruel, it's just that I loved those animals so much I wanted to be close to them. One thing -- the first line I think you meant were instead of where.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

realmwriter

9 Years Ago

I did indeed mean we're. Thank you for pointing that out. You know I'm not so sure that there is any.. read more
What a sincere poem--thank you for taking up the challenge (as it is a rather personal challenge)! I saw that you were a little hesitant to do so (that sounded creepy, sorry), but you truly did the topic justice. After all, we're writing to ourselves and in that sense, for ourselves.

I really like how your attitude progresses with poem--in fact, some of the lines had me smiling ('Now look at you, you make the ladies drool"....."You're a man, a damn good one too")! I especially love how you chose to use "we" in the last repetition of the last line, opposed to "you."

It can be amazing, the things we could tell our thirteen year old selves (honestly, I didn't even realize I would tell myself some things as I wrote mine). While we may have been disappointed in ourselves at the time for one reason or another, we now have all the more reason to be proud :)

I'm truly glad that I got to read this, thank you for sharing it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


realmwriter

9 Years Ago

I think I might do another one. This one to my none year old self. I had a pretty traumatic experien.. read more
MusicManiac

9 Years Ago

If you decide to do another, I definitely look forward to reading it! You have a whole community of.. read more
realmwriter

9 Years Ago

Thank you for that. It's comforting to know.
Oh! Very well done. See! I knew you could do it!

Make sure you message the rest of the group with this and post it to the group page too!

Posted 9 Years Ago


MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

SBT = Sorry 'Bout That
realmwriter

9 Years Ago

Oh yeah, I should have been able to figure that out. I did post it to the page, comments I think, bu.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Cool. :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2014
Last Updated on November 19, 2014

Author

realmwriter
realmwriter

Harrison, AR



About
You know, I can write about almost any subject, in poetic form and even an ocasional short story, but I find it most difficult to write about myself. I am an artist at heart and will use whatever m.. more..

Writing